See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : PDL: a year later

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
theevangelist

United States Of America

PDL: a year later

So what are the thoughts on PDL (purpose driven life) now?

2006/3/8 13:45Profile

Re: PDL: a year later

Would someone mind putting a link to the "year before" discussion. I think I missed it joining later and am assuming brother that "a year later" means that it may have been discussed here a year ago ?

THANKS.
Annie

2006/3/8 14:04

Re: PDL a year later - link

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5587&forum=36]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5587&forum=36[/url]

Annie, the above is the thread which Diane started, to discuss the effect of the PDL Covenant itself. It is the first which I can remember.

There is also this one started a few weeks later by Krispy, which is uneasily longer.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6441&forum=35]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6441&forum=35[/url]

2006/3/8 14:42

Re:

I still think the same about it. While there are some good things about it, there is a lot that is very humanistic. I dont like the book at all because Rick Warren is a master at taking scripture completely out of context and twisting it to make it say what he wants. This is one reason why he quoted from many many different modern versions. A verse in the NIV doesnt say what I want... get an NASB and use that instead. A sloppy and dangerous way to handle scripture.

If one wants purpose and direction in their life I would suggest putting down PDL and picking up GHW (God's Holy Word) and studying it until it becomes a part of your very core... be in prayer all day long communing with the Lord. Speak the Word into the lives of everyone you encounter.

Do this, and you will have purpse, and God will direct you in your paths... which means you'll be in His will.

If I had my way I would destroy 95% of the Christian books out there. If folks would spend more time in the only Book that matters instead of the latest book of the month things would be a lot different.

Krispy

2006/3/8 15:08
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

Amen Krispy

You hear how so many people are reading a book that they hope will help them get into the bible more.

As for the PDL, one year on, our church has stopped using the material, I don't think cos they disagree, but I think we have moved onto the next movement - church growth (at any price).

I wish they too would get into the Bible and not a book about how to understand the Bible.

Ste

2006/3/8 16:02Profile

Re:

Quote:
I think we have moved onto the next movement - church growth (at any price)

I hear ya, my friend. Revival has not happened yet because we are content to live without it. What do we need revival for when we have church growth programs and entertainment?

Krispy

2006/3/8 16:28
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Annie, the above is the thread which Diane started, to discuss the effect of the PDL Covenant itself.

Yes, I guess it did post it. To be honest, I'm not convinced that I would post it now - almost a year later. I haven't changed my mind about that covenent. I think it is very wrong to convince the masses to recite it.

I would love to hear directly from the Lord what HE is doing in the midst of all that stuff - books, videos, satilite broadcasts, Purpose 101, 102, and who knows what else is going on. But I haven't recieved any divine insight. It is not beyond God use the treasures within the system and speak to people. And there is a lot of treasure there. They have programs for people with addictions and other problems that may be very effective. And who knows what is happening within some cell groups - possibly genuine minsitry. (not to discount the bad stuff like control, manipulation, worldliness, deception, etc)

Who knows how many people have been seeing the "light" in the darkness and as a result abandoned their religious dependencies and turned to the Lord. That's what I had to do, and so does everybody else.

Who can say just how God may use man's ways to bring on brokenness, humility and .. yes, revival.

How does one measure success? Well, if we take Jeremiah, Isaiah, Jesus, or many godly saints and measure them by our terms, they will all come out as miserable failures. Yet, In God's eeconomy, success seems to arise out of the failures and corrupt religous systems (ex Samuel).
Diane

2006/3/8 17:19Profile

Re:

Well Dorcas, now everyone knows my secret of having "cognitive impairment" {a BAD memory} Ah oh .... I've been exposed as being half-brain-dead ... but July WAS a LONG time ago. Wasn't it ?

Ha... look who posted on page one of Krispy's thread ... ha-ha-ho-ho-they're coming to take me away - ha-ha-ho-ho.

Remember that song ? I guess you'd have to be OLD to know it.

Thanks sis.
and Krispy.

I haven't looked at the other thread yet.

I worse than "half" brain dead today. Need prayers for brain desperately today ... got a hold of some bad Benadryl last nite :-? .

Ha.
Love ya's all.

2006/3/8 17:20
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

This was actually the post you need to see. One year later!!!

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2649&forum=35

2006/3/11 17:40Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
How does one measure success? Well, if we take Jeremiah, Isaiah, Jesus, or many godly saints and measure them by our terms, they will all come out as miserable failures.

Let's not forget poor Noah's preaching career. Maybe he could've used a few church growth seminars! :roll:

MC

2006/3/11 21:04Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy