SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : That I may Know Him

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
pastorfrin

That I may Know Him

Re: Phil. 3:10
That I may know Him,
and the power of His resurrection,
and the fellowship of His sufferings,
being made conformable unto His death;

Since we are entering the season, may we share
with one another, what it means to you.

To Know Him More,

Pastorfrin

2006/3/6 21:14Profile
pastorfrin

Re: That I may Know Him

Questions:
Can we know Him without knowing the power of
His resurrection?

What is the fellowship of His sufferings?

How can we be made conformable unto His death?

:-) Have a wonderful day
To know Him more,
Pastorfrin

2006/3/7 4:54Profile
roadsign

Re: identification with Christ

Quote:
That I may know Him,

Hi Pastorfrin, You have opened up a very important question, and one that deserves attention. This is so intrinsic to our calling. It is not a matter of knowing ABOUT our Lord, but KNOWING him intimately through identification. I think of the Psalmist who identified with his suffering by experiencing the same thing.

We too, when we are living in Christ and for Christ suffer the rejection that comes with our identification with him. The world wants to "spit" us out, just like they didn't want Jesus - beginning with his birth. .. No room for him...

As we decrease, his resurrection power is at work within us. This power is not impressive to the world. It doesn't look like power as the world knows. In fact, it looks like weakness. It is foolishness to the world.

Those are only a few superficial thoughts, and I'm sure others have much wiser thoughs to add. Perhaps you do.

Pastorfrin, I see that you have joined us recently, and it would be wonderful if you shared a bit about your own spirtual journey. How has Christ been taking you through this process?
Diane

2006/3/7 8:33Profile
pastorfrin

Re:

Re: short history
Diane,
Sorry for abruptly coming on the site with no introduction.I totally enjoy reading all the different threads.
Ok,introduction.
pastor/sheperd since 1976.Currently pastor a
small home missions church, our second.
Married 40 years to my sweet heart and mother
of our 7 children. A quiver full. We have 14
grandchildren we call our crowns.
I work a secular job,so as not to be a burden
to our church. A tentmaker, not really but
close, a bricklayer.
I was introduced to my Lord Jesus Christ as
a young teen in 1960 and shortly thereafter He
called me and I said ok, not really knowing
what I was saying ok too. To make it short,
after much running He convinced me that I was never going to outrun Him.
Yes, The Lord is my Sheperd and my cup runneth over. I should not want, but I do and I always will. I want to KNOW HIM MORE.

Questions: I would really enjoy hearing from
all of you. Your thoughts on these things.
I've heard mine for 30 years.
Yours in Christ,
Pastorfrin
:-D :-D

2006/3/7 22:10Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Married 40 years to my sweet heart and mother of our 7 children. A quiver full. We have 14
grandchildren we call our crowns.
I work a secular job,so as not to be a burden
to our church. A tentmaker, not really but
close, a bricklayer.

Wow! And you are just one person?? Even brick laying itself is a very demanding job. You must be in good shape physically. Now, if you live in a hot climate - that would make it even more challenging.

I'm sure that you could write a book about your life experiences - about your family, your church experiences etc. If you hang around, you'l likely share bits here and there, and also learn about us.

I've been here on SI since last May, and have throughly enjoyed it - lots of great people to meet and chat with. It's a good place to get your mind challenged.

There are so many sermons and articles, that I know I will never be able to hear/read them all. It's such a gold mine of rich material.

Above all, we learn from those who know the Lord, have walked closely with him, those who are a good role-model for us.

2006/3/7 23:01Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

That I may know Him,
and the power of His resurrection,
and the fellowship of His sufferings,
being made conformable unto His death;

I love this verse even thou I am scared of suffering , my dad is a block paver he also believes in working and being a pastor

This verse in fantastic because to know him, that phrase is a sermon in it self .

Ge 4:1 - Show Context
And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

Ge 4:17 - Show Context
And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

Ge 4:25 - Show Context
And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew

This is a love relationship
I have just got to mediate on that but his relationship is one. I have only commented on the first part and all I want to do is worship

2006/3/7 23:05Profile

Re:

That's great Dom ... that is what 'know' Him would imply. That Intimate Relationship that no other religion on earth provides.
I am my Beloved's and He is mine.

That give and take of communing with our Beloved and caring what He thinks and waiting to hear what He has to say. Loving to hear His Words.

What makes Him happy, is to have my heart in His Hand. And to have my hand always reached out to Him. To be assured of His love and not question it ... just as my husband would be hurt if I questioned his love ... all the more so with He Who became Love Incarnate for me and died taking all of my gross sin upon Himself ... my Kinsman Redeemer.

If He calls out, we hear him, as in the Song of Solomon. We run out to Him. That sensitivity to His Voice within, that speaks so low you can hear it in a crowd. Ever Loving - Ever Protecting. He is a merciful Husband, Master, Lover, Friend, Father, and as the Great I AM, He is become ALL things to us, to meet every human need.

We love Him because He first loved us.

Nothing else matters but to find Him to Love Him.

No human can satisfy with that type Love that comes from Him alone.

And sometimes it's suffering that presses us into looking for our Beloved. Once found, we only have eyes for Him.

Would also like to hear the good Pastor share on these verses for us too.

Thank you Pastor and God bless Dom.

2006/3/8 2:10
pastorfrin

Re:That I may know Him

Hi everyone,
Or should I ask where is everyone? This old pastor has been waiting to feast on your thoughts
and it appears I will starve.Please, some food.
:-)
I was walking to my work van this morning and I
heard the joyful singing of many birds coming from a little bush. I walked over to it and on every branch and twig sat a sparrow singing its heart out. Not one of them showed any fear, they
just sat there and sang. As I stood there it hit me, their singing because they KNOW HIM.
So I joined them. There I stood, in front of
admissions at the V A Hospital, where I work,
singing with a bunch of sparrows, We Know Him,
We Know Him, Praise His Holy Name, We Know Him.
Oh, Bless God what a time we had. I got into the
van to leave and Matt. 10:29,30 came to mind.

Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are
all numbered.
Oh how He Knows us

1 John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father has bestowed upon us, that we should be
called the sons of God.
Oh how He Loves us

Eph.3:17-19 that Christ may dwell in your hearts
by faith; that ye being rooted and grounded in
love, may be able to comprehend with all saints
what is the breath, and length, and depth,and
height; and to know the love of Christ, which
passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Oh that we may KNOW HIM MORE

Ps. 150:6 Let every thing that has breath praise
the Lord. PRAISE YE THE LORD.

pastorfrin

2006/3/8 21:13Profile
Compton

Re:

Greetings pastorfrin!

Some quick thoughts to your invitation to share...

Quote:
...and the fellowship of His sufferings,

There are many times the Lord asks us to forgive others for wrong doing. I remember a small incident where I was on the recieving end of some careless but financially costly offense...what it was is not at all important except as a prelude to a testimony relevant to your inquiry.

After comprehending the severity of the offense I was given the grace to forgive and love, and acted accordingly...and the moment I resolved to do so I could almost hear the Lord telling me, that forgiveness for no other reason than love had enabled me to know a little more of His character, which is the very essence of fellowship with Him.

It that particular moment, I saw fellowship with the Lord as a sharing, or partaking, even a mingling in with, His character. Indeed, dare I say that such precious fellowship and tasting of the Lord's Spirit blesses not only ouselves, but it is also a blessing to Him. I believe whenever we can identify with even some aspect of His nature, we are bringing Him joy.

Now I temper this testimony with all of the many many times I have failed the Lord in this regard. Still I felt the incident related to your question enough to post it!

Blessings sir,

MC

2006/3/8 23:50Profile
pastorfrin

Re:there are many times the Lord ask us....

Thanks MC for your post,obedience in forgiveness
great thought.
Why do we as His children find it so hard to
obey His Word, when the reward for doing so is
fellowship with Him?

1 Sam. 15:22 And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as
great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to
obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken
than the fat of rams.

To know Him is to obey Him

just a country preacher,