SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How to stand against sin

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

How to stand against sin

It’s not hard to see sin everywhere. It hurts us. It violates us. It destroys our lives. We may even be shocked at the behavior of “good” Christian people – especially when they wound us. And so, of course we talk about sin a lot – other people’s sin, that is.

However, sinful society is no surprise to our Lord, and he prepared us to deal with it. If we follow his guidance, we will not be troubled by all these sins. We will have inner peace and rest, AND we will be able to take a stand against it.

Let us consider some of the measures Christ has given us to deal with the onslaught of sin all around us. Why not start in the gospel of Matthew chapter five, the famous Sermon on the Mount.

Let me see..............Wow! I have to read 37 verses before I finally get to one that talks about dealing with sins of others. For 37 verses I read how to deal with my own sinful bent. Then, finally, in vs 38 I read this:

“You have heard it said, “Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. BUT I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right side, strike him back, and get your neighbors to join you. After all, you must stand against sin. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, get a good defence lawyer. And make sure it gets on the News. You want to stand against his sin. And if someone forces you to go one mile, take your stand! Don’t give in to his controlling manoeuvres. Let him know your rights.

Jesus goes on to say in vs 43 “You have heard that it was said, “Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, kill your enemy – with words if not with bombs. Don’t give an inch of ground to the enemy.

Are you starting to get troubled by my translation? Really, I am simply writing what it might say if humans got to write the Bible themselves. Please do check out Matthew 5 to see what Jesus really said.

Now let us consider how we can apply Jesus (actual) words to sinners in our lives .... . oh, yes, our kids and in-laws, and of course, our spouse, for any of them can become our enemy at times.

I include the following words of the song, “Make Me a Channel” because they echo so well the spirit of Jesus. It is when we practise these things that we will tear down the enemy’s strongholds and shine the Light of Christ. This is how we take a stand against sin. Do you believe it? Do you practise it?

1. Make me a channel of your peace:
Where there is hatred, let me bring you love;
Where there is injury, your healing pow'r,
And where there's doubt, true faith in you.

2. Make me a channel of your peace:
Where there's despair in life let me bring hope;
Where there is darkness, - only light,
And where there's sadness, ever joy.

3. O Spirit, grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love with all my soul.

4. Make me a channel of your peace.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
In giving to all that we receive,
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

This Hymn is based on a prayer often ascribed to St Francis, although it was actually written much later
Diane

2006/3/6 12:32Profile

Re: How to stand against sin

Diane,

This is very thought provoking to someone like me, who has had to let God do a great deal of affirming in my soul.

I still think there is a deep need for healing before people can honestly live out offering their other cheek to be struck, and going the second mile, though perhaps not all need as much healing as some.

Certainly, Jesus had spent a great deal of time healing people unconditionally, before He asked them to take up the cross daily and follow Him.

2006/3/8 7:42
roadsign

Re: laying down our lives

Quote:
I still think there is a deep need for healing before people can honestly live out offering their other cheek to be struck, and going the second mile, though perhaps not all need as much healing as some.

Your words, Dorcus, remind us of the need for patience with those who don't seem to measure up to the standards Christ sets for his followers (which includes ourselves). It DOES take a lot of time for healing to occur, or simply the maturing process. It is hardly right to teach a bullied child to allow bullies to bully him some more.

You can't give up your life until you find it.

However, lest we asssume that we have progressed beyond the level of those "less mature" people, Christ's words sober us. Just, maybe we are not as far along in our own spirutal growth as we assume. Perhaps we have not as yet layed down our life and taken up our cross. Perhaps we are still beset with fears, selfcenteredness, insecurity, unbelief, etc.
I thank God that he knows me better than I know myself, and he will take me through the refining process, as he sees fit - that I might decrease, and he might increase.
Diane

2006/3/8 8:21Profile

Re: How to stand against sin

Quote:
However, lest we asssume that we have progressed beyond the level of those "less mature" people, Christ's words sober us. Just, maybe we are not as far along in our own spirutal growth as we assume. Perhaps we have not as yet layed down our life and taken up our cross. Perhaps we are still beset with fears, selfcenteredness, insecurity, unbelief, etc

And yet, now that I 'feel' healed, perhaps I am quite far enough along the road to obey those instructions from Christ, as best I can?

And perhaps others who feel no need of healing, who have no fears and are truly holding Christ as their life - without it making them feel insecure, or shaking their faith - do believe they already embrace this....
I would not like to judge!

But, I do 'see' there is a life beyond the flesh, which I've experienced in my spirit, which needs to work through my flesh even more, as the leaven in the three measures of meal. Amen. How that grain gets crushed, pounded and fired, in the making of something edible.

Quote:
I thank God that he knows me better than I know myself

Diane,

Many years ago, this thought used to scare me. It must have been my guilty conscience! But now, AMEN! WHAT A COMFORT! To find oneself in His hands - the gentlest most capable hands in the Universe. Nowhere is safer, no matter what the outcome....

2006/3/8 8:44
roadsign

Re:

I think it would be worth considering the tremendous power we wield by "giving the other cheek"
I remember reading the book, 'Bold Love" by Dan Allender, and realizing just how effective Christ's principles of surrender can be in softening the heart of our "enemies".

Our defensive responses often arise out of weakness and fear, rather than power and love. It takes faith to live Christ's way - it feels like a snail without a shell. Without assurance of Christ's mighty fortress, we will never have the boldness to advance with Bold Love, and thus change the world for Christ. It feel wrong to 'surrender our rights, but oh, how much power is behind that strategy.

God has often given me particular situations in my own life where I have had to surrender something that was rightfully mine. And, oh, how effective it is! It breaks a lot of barriers. It penetrates the hardness in the hearts of others.

2006/3/8 9:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy