SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Modest Woman vs. The Strange Woman

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:O.K. - Seriously now...

3 out of the 8 Proverbs I looked up earlier about the strange woman were regarding "flattery".

The antiChrist uses flatteries also to deceive.

Looking at John's Epistles "even now are there many antichrists"

We were taught the definition of flattery, in contrast to slander is ...

Slander is something you say behind someone's back, but don't say to their face.

Flattery is something you say to someone's face, but don't say behind their back.

Pro 2:16 To deliver thee from the strange woman, even from the stranger which flattereth with her words.

Pro 6:24 To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman.

Pro 7:5 That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.

Meanings go deep.

"Anti" also means "in place of".

His Word "in place of" ours would be a better switch.
He 'is' The Word.
Makes us wonder if our word in place of His (or ours instead of His) isn't that way.

InTheLight - in response to your earlier suggestion ... how about Proverbs Chapter 5 in contrast to 8 ?

Edited

2006/3/2 2:38
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: a word of advice from a potential Jewish mother-in-law!

I mean no disrespect in this posting either to Jews or mothers-in-law but have you ever noticed that the extraordinary characteristics of 'the virtuous woman' in Proverbs 31 was written by a 'potential Jewish mother-in-law'.

This is a fascinating passage of scripture. Apparently, if Lemuel was Solomon, this must have been written by Bathsheba. This is a woman with a burden (this is the word translated 'prophecy' in Prov 31:1) to her son about the kind of wife he ought to have in mind. If this Lemuel really was Solomon, his ignoring of this 'burden' was an act of spectacular folly and one which brought him to ruin.

Lemuel's mother, with all of a mother's protective concern, and with a 'burden' describes her ideal 'daughter-in-law'. It is quite a list! :-D Many have seen its ultimate purpose as a description of the Church.

On occasion I have met distraught Christian wives who have beaten themselves almost to death with this passage of scripture. It usually brings a little respite when they observe that these words were written by a 'mother-in-law'. :-D

Just a thought... and before the rush starts... I am married to the most wonderful woman in the world... who is also a mother-in-law and who has two daughters-in-law in whom she delights! ;-)

2006/3/2 5:06Profile

Re:

ginnyrose...

I didnt get the impression any women got their noses bent over me posting a thread about women... besides, it's just straight up scripture.

Any by the way, the principles in my original post apply to men, women and kids.

Krispy

2006/3/2 5:29

Re:

Boy you guys sure do get up early. Ya got roosters up there in them there hills Krispy ?

You must start your day with coffee ... no ?
I sure have to. It takes two hours for me to wake up ... but don't let this hour fool you ... I haven't been to bed yet ... because I took Proverbs 31 too literally Pro 31:18 ... her candle goeth not out by night.

Yeah, my old neighbor once said, "you keep 'strange' hours."

There's that carnfangled word again ... ha.

I liked what RonB said too. It is true, I do push myself, but I pray it's for the good in the Eternal scheme of things. I take that chpt. 31 very very seriously.

My only complaint Ron, is that I have no "handmaidens" to help around here. Wish that part of the prophecy applied here. I sure could use a hand.

Well, I appreciated Ron having mercy and actually Krispy ... maybe I don't even need to say this ... but I fully and whole-heartedly agreed and approved of your post. It's just being neighbors, and because you still have a sense of humor, which you know I believe we need ... I like to pull your leg, cuz I know you know me by now.

You used to think I was toooooo hard and strict but I'm actually quite nuts, in a mentally healthy way. :-D :-? Isn't that what smilies are for ?

And Ron, you did an excellent job on explaining Chpt. 31. thank you a lot.

Have a blessed day you men. You guys have the weight of your families on your backs, big time as providers, priests, etc. etc. etc.... So you have my prayers, big time.

Thanks and Lord Bless !
Annie

2006/3/2 5:52
roadsign

Re:

Annie, I love reading your posts!!! You have such a delightful way of playing with words. You put a twinkle into the serious stuff.

Quote:
My only complaint Ron, is that I have no "handmaidens" to help around here. Wish that part of the prophecy applied here. I sure could use a hand.

Look again, Annie, and you will see many "handmaidens" always at your service - dishwasher, washing machine,microwave, telephone, vaccuum cleaner, car, running water, electricity.... to name a few!
Diane

2006/3/2 8:37Profile

Re:

Quote:
Boy you guys sure do get up early. Ya got roosters up there in them there hills Krispy ?

You must start your day with coffee ... no ?

Usually by 5am I'm at my desk with the coffee going and studying God's Word until 6 or so. Right now I'm methodically working my way thru Matthew Henry's commentary. There is so much meat in it. I've spent two days just studying Jesus being tempted in the wilderness.

Anyway... I was up a little sooner than normal this morning (4:30) cuz there were some raccoons getting into the garbage can on the back deck. I took some pics of them before I chased them off... they are friendly kritters. Our neighbors have had a bear in their garbage recently... which is why I got up.

If y'all are real nice to me, I'll post the pics sometime.

Krispy

2006/3/2 9:43
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Our neighbors have had a bear in their garbage recently...

yes, we throw out some odd things too... :-D

2006/3/2 10:26Profile

Re:

Gotta love that dry British humor... lol

Krispy

2006/3/2 10:47
brentw

Ohio

Re:

I read this somewhere a minister said....probably some big shot somewhere....

"If a woman could get into a mind of a man for 10 minutes she would change the way she dressed" :-o

2006/3/2 12:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
"If a woman could get into a mind of a man for 10 minutes she would change the way she dressed"

My wife would probably tell you that 10 minutes in the mind of a man is all it would take to learn everything he knows!

Bad wife... bad wife...

Krispy

2006/3/2 12:55

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy