SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How many People struggle with Prayer , Prayer 101

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

How many People struggle with Prayer , Prayer 101

I am one who is not a consistant prayer, I sometimes ask people to pray for me to pray as I am in such a mess.
How do people pray here. This is a very personal issue. I find I get attacked most when I pray least.
How did you start your prayer life.
I think one of the things was Katherine Kuhlmen when she said that you say god to intervene, intervene, intervene.
I am not joking when I say I used to fall asleep in prayer meetings when people used to recount things bly from the news.
I heard once that Queen Victoria never used to let her subjects pray about the news.
I think this maybe dumb but the book Perelandra and Clay Mcleans series on prayer and there is loads of other things such as Jonathan Edwards book on pryer and Dwight L Moodys book on prayer have helped me.
To me my prayer life is a miracle for someone who used to only pray if things got losted to someone who thinks of it as a love relationship and cant wait to pray and then to my dry period which is now when I am finding it very hard to pray and want to confess my sins before him but do not know how or to someone.
I think the screwtape letters helped me aswell.
How many people pray when they are really tired, from work that for me is the hardest time to pray or when you are underneath the devils attack and cannot do anything.
What is prayer ? Why are we so adverse to prayer anyway I am, I think there are times in my life or a time in my life when I just dont want to pray it is like there is loads of anger and I dont know what to do with it.
What are peoples favorite books on prayer.
Why dont i pray more.
What stops us from praying
Do any of you have long prayer lists, how on earth do you deal with praying for all those people at once. What miracles have you seen from prayer.

Jesus says he made the temple a house of prayer but you have made it a den of thieves
Are houses temples of prayer
I am still delving into a big subject here

Dom

2006/2/27 19:48Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re: How many People struggle with Prayer , Prayer 101

I struggle with prayer, I think most people do.

But I believe we must persist. I get up early (usually in the middle of the night) to pray and I find the devil saying things like; 'you're prayers are no good, the same stuff each night' and 'Why bother you're a rubbish prayer' and I think, wow, not only is the devil afraid of me praying - why else would he try to stop me - but I also think, the God of the whole universe is interested in my weak ramblings, and I get the picture of a toddler babbling to his mum and she's made up and encouraging him even though he is making no real sense.

We learn to pray by praying, we may not feel we are any good but God can use the little we offer and turn it into something great (think of the boy who gave five loaves and two small fish).

Sometimes God leads us into the wilderness to get rid of the old self, the moaning me who looks back at what Egypt had to offer. We must persist in following Him and keep on with prayer and eventually there will be a breakthrough.

"The devil trembles when he sees the weakest Christian on his knees"

2006/2/27 20:09Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
How did you start your prayer life.

Here is where it starts, believing this with all your heart...

But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him. (Psalms 4:3)

In Christ,

Ron

2006/2/27 20:50Profile
Billy7

Hi Deltadom,

Here's an excellent message on prayer.

http://www.worldinvisible.com/avlib/aud_player_ch.mv?aud_id=278

It's by Bro. Ernest O'Neill, and it has some very practical teaching on how to begin a powerful prayer-life. I have found it to be very helpful and I'm sure you will too.

Be blessed!

2006/2/27 21:18Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

I believe this is a great discussion because this is just not trying to push my view point, but this topic could be an encouragement to all those who struggle in prayer and yet really want to pray!
Prayer can be the same old each morning IF we let it be just that. I find it better to change the way I begin sometimes...my devotions. We each have to be sensitive.... I find way to many christians making their devotions a formula...how they start and how they end.

Tozer has compiled a book on his favorite mystics which is a good devotional before prayer or reading Ravenhills books...
We have to keep the fires burning HOT to pray hot. I believe we should try to be in a state of prayer before bed to wake up in the same state...
YES prayer is hard....praise God for it!

2006/2/27 21:48Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

Go to matt ch6 ver 5-15 read , ((((Then pray in the manner which the The Lord is showing you in ver 9))))) Your Father knoweth what thing's ye have need of,before ye ask Him..

2006/2/27 22:16Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

This thread could be really good and so much better than debating over tounges and once saved always... I hope everyone would answer honestly laying down all pride.
There is only a couple people who have answered this post the way it was intended.

2006/2/27 22:36Profile

Re: PRAY WITHOUT CEASING

1Th 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

One of the shortest verses next to "Jesus wept".

We're commanded to pray without ceasing.

How on earth ? ... people ask.

By continuing to watch our "thought life".

2Co 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds; Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and [u]bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ[/u]

Whenever our thoughts begin to drift to where they don't involve Him, in this internal conversation, then we need to catch that loose thread and bring it back to Him and say, Oops, Lord, I've left you out of this for this time, haven't I ?
Then get back to being cognizant of Him and involving Him in all that you think about.

That word "Prayer" changes the meaning of how we are to "talk" to God about everything and the other half of it's definition is to Praise.

Somewhere, it's become something 'religious' in the sense that it has become an 'act or function' that is not natural.

If He is our Best Friend, then when you hang out with your Best Friend, and they are in the car with you, you don't forget they're there. And if you do, you naturally catch yourself and bring your thoughts back to them.

Our thoughts are our problem, and not the "time" that we don't make. We can't drop to our knees at work or in the middle of class or fall prostrate in the halls ... but we're told to pray without ceasing. Without ceasing.

It says above, "EVERY THOUGHT".
As in, Lord, what book should I read or did you want me to sign on the Internet or just read the Word right now or ... ?

Start off with baby steps at first.
But after a while, it will become as natural to you as being with a Friend. Though, while in this flesh a 24/7 'walk' like this is something I've not seen in anyone yet. Almost in a few old folks I've met ... but still it's a goal because it's a command.

We focus our thoughts upward to Heaven where The Father and Jesus are ... so that we can enjoy being "seated in Heavenly Places with Christ".

I found a good short message here that I'll just quote one sentence from then give the link ...

"We get into the Father's presence and we stand there in love, He loving us, and we loving Him."

I wouldn't necessarily say we have to "get" there, we should "be" there ... but sometimes the cares of this world or wherever our minds roam, cause us to have to say again, "Oops Lord, I wasn't talking to you or involving you just then", so we do need to rein our thoughts back in and 'get' there.

Anyhow ... here's the link.
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=6

Pray without ceasing = walking in the spirit.
Sometimes we think of how we get lonely ... but He likes our fellowship with Him too ... 'cause He Loves us and our company, being that we're His and all. :-)

2006/2/27 22:50
joelshack

Oklahoma

Re:

I too struggle with the zeal for prayer. I think it is important that we acknowledge what an amazing opportunity we have in prayer. We get to make known what is on our hearts to the creator of the universe, wow! I think we all can remember meeting some "famous" person, and stumbling for words, but we get to converse with the Lord. I think keeping this in the back of our mind shows what an amazing God we have!

I will swallow my pride and say that I feel I get lazy sometimes when I pray. But, when I devote thought, energy, and what is on my heart, that is when I feel the Lord hears my prayers instead of feeling them bounce down off the ceiling.

Peace and Grace,
Joel

2006/2/27 22:58Profile

Hi Dom,

I once heard an atheist say, christianity is just a crutch for weak people. I'm glad someone got it right. ;-) The truth is, we all struggle with prayer. When Jesus went to pray in the garden he told his diciples to "watch and pray". Each time he returned they would be sleeping. He told them the "spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"

I find it harder to pray than study my bible or witness or even preach. The devil will fight you tooth and nail because he knows that's where we draw our power from. Without prayer were powereless and defeated. I recommend a powerfull book on prayer it's by E.M. Bounds. Also let me recommend a book by a 17th century puritan, it's called christian in complete armour by William Gurnall, also full of wonderful truth. They have been a tremendous help to me in my walk with God.

Prayer should be an unbroken fellowship with God. Our heart should be lifted up to him in prayer at all times. This is part of our armour to protect us from the enemy. This is really the only thing that satan fears. And he will fight you tooth and nail. He don't want us to pray because without prayer were powerless.

Remain undefiled by this world so that your prayers will not be hindered. But if you sin, don't fret. Go to the Lord and confess them and turn from them and he will give you a clean slate. Don't run and hide like Adam, just go to him and he will forgive you.

Hope this helps

:-D :-D

2006/2/27 23:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy