SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : catholics with spiritual gifts?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: God's demotions

Quote:
And I believe God isnt going to give us the gift of discernment if we dont first gain Biblical discernment. Thats like asking your boss for a raise on your first day of work.

When I first read this, my mind went 'aauuugh', and then I read again, and see some truth coming through. I'd like to fine-tune this thought a bit - just to avoid a wrong impression.

I'm not convinced that God has "promotions" as we think of it in the natural sense. Instead, he has "demotions" ie: I decrease. As we decrease - ie: we discover that we know a lot less than we thought we did, we understand less, we are less important, less mature,less right, less discerning then our own flesh believes - then there is room for Christ to increase. And it is HIS mind that we gain. As we see through his eyes our discernemnt grows. It is a spiritual journey - of deepening death replaced by deepening new Life.

About asking for gifts: Only God knows the intent of the heart. Discernment is not a special gift or promotion. But it is a very, very needed ability in the Body. We all need more of it. And it doesn't just fall from the sky. It is costly. I think people who don't feel like studying, reading, listening, praying, etc are going to have a harder time gaining discernemnt. ..

Having said that... I also disagree with myself. I heard once of a retarded child (illiterate) who discerned that a child's book had evil in it. She told her parents, and sure enough, it was true!

I would never tell someone to leave their religous affiliation without letting God give me the discernment and prompting. Right now I would like to tell some Baptists to leave their church because I see harm being done to them spritually and emotionally, but even then, that is not for me. I am free, on the other hand, to build a relationship with them, mentor, and share what Christ has done in me. Each person is on a journey, and I do not wish to play God and push them onto a path. Even Christ did not do that. He invited them to come to HIM. He never told the Jews to leave their associations with the synagogue - even though their leaders were essentially placing heavy yokes on them and brainwashing them, and even though thier entire society was going to recieve severe judgment in 40 years.

A couple more thoughts:
I just had a visit with a school teacher who supplies in both the RC board and the public board. She is a devout evangelical, yet she freely admitted that the RC schools are far better schools to teach in because there was a sense of authority - God! And that belief filters down to the every day management of education. The children have much more respect for authority than they did in the public system. There were more morals taught and respected.. etc..... Go figure.... RC is hardly pagan, in spite of it's many pagan practices. They still uphold God and creation!

I could share many examples of God's ways of overruling man's messes.... or masses... or whatever.

Let us give God the glory!
Diane

2006/3/2 8:15Profile

Re:

Quote:
RC is hardly pagan, in spite of it's many pagan practices.

Nothing quite like contradicting yourself in one sentence... now thats talent!! :-) If it walks like a duck... quacks like a duck... etc.

Quote:
They still uphold God and creation!

So do the JW's & the Mormons. That means nothing.

As for my statement that you expounded on, I agree with some of what you said, however I still maintain that if one is not willing to learn the scriptures and get discernment from that practice... one should not expect God to just give it to them as a spiritual gift.

Krispy

2006/3/2 8:35
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I still maintain that if one is not willing to learn the scriptures and get discernment from that practice... one should not expect God to just give it to them as a spiritual gift.

Exactly!!!!!
I see a close parallel in music... It doesn't fall from the sky.
Diane

2006/3/2 10:24Profile

Re:

I like simple laymans terms, Diane. But you've been gifted with the ability to be more descriptive than me. Somehow me thinks we usually end up at the same place. I prefer to cut straight over the mountain (or as we say here in the south "as the crow flies"), while you prefer to drive around the mountain... stop in town and shop a little... stop and take pictures of the mountain... and eventually meet me over on the other side of the mountain. LOL

Krispy

2006/3/2 11:25
warriorofgod

Re:

I just have on more qeustion before i Go to england? Someone Said that if you have tongues and are legitimately saved your tongue is true, and if you are not than you have a false tongue? (The example was giving toward the RCC.) So even though they both sound the same and there is absolutely no way of telling the diffference, the only way to tell is by their fruit? I'm sorry, but that doesn't add up. If a true christian is in a room apeaking in tongues with a false christian (whatever denomination, if any)
and they both sound the same, the whole thing is false. It is an exersice that does not effect anything.

2006/3/2 11:43Profile

Re:

Quote:
So even though they both sound the same and there is absolutely no way of telling the diffference, the only way to tell is by their fruit?

Yea, I think you're on the right track with that.

Quote:
If a true christian is in a room apeaking in tongues with a false christian (whatever denomination, if any) and they both sound the same, the whole thing is false. It is an exersice that does not effect anything.

Dont forget that Satan is a master at counterfeits. False tongues will sound like legit.

BUT... we're getting caught up in judging people's actions. I dont think we can do that. If tongues are being spoken in the way that Paul instructs, then I would just leave it to the Lord.

Krispy

2006/3/2 12:13

Re:

By the way, Warrior... have a safe trip back to England!!

Krispy

2006/3/2 12:13
warriorofgod

Re:

I guess we can only say that one day everything will come to light! What a horrifying and Glorious truth. Thanks

2006/3/2 12:30Profile

Re:

warrior, this post of 11:43:08 needs to be answered a sentence at a time.

No.

No.

No.

I still discern some "wisdom of this world" in your posts friend.

I've even seen some Psychology on this forum early this morning, so nothing surprises God and neither will He allow HIS sheep to be deceived.

"IF" two people are in the same room, and one has a false manifestation (whether they are saved or not) and the other is a 'regenerated' human with a legitimate manifestation .... either GOD WILL GIVE DISCERNMENT to the bonified believer or HE WILL NOT.
If HE doesn't give IMMEDIATE discernment, to expose the phonie in the congregation, which I've experienced and have seen on multiple occasions by others ............. then it is in HIS Sovereignty and Omniscience to NOT EXPOSE THE PHONIE - BUT JUST FOR A SEASON.

Paul put up with that soothsaying woman for "many days" but in other cases ... Bam, they were blinded or dead or whatever GOD DEEMS.

See ?

2006/3/2 16:32

Re:

Sovereignty and Omniscience... thank you! I was thinking along those lines earlier today. We have to remember that God's Sovereignty is the biggest factor when it comes to spiritual gifts. He gives to whoever He wishes in order to accomplish His will. We really have no say in the matter except that we are told to "seek"... but even tho we are told to seek... it doesnt say He will give you what you are seeking. And if He does... you can bet it aint gonna be in our timing. It'll be in His.

Let God be God... He's gonna be God anyway.

Krispy

2006/3/2 16:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy