SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question: Why do people go to church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
denem7

Orange Park, FL

Question: Why do people go to church?

hey all,
i was wondering something. is there a link or statistic somewhere that answers the question: "why do people go to church?". i suppose that a great percentage of people go to church initially to seek out friendships / fellowship. if people don't get friendships / fellowship from the church, then i'm sure they'll look for it in the bars and other places of the world. that's why we need to be super-conscientious when we see a visitor in church. a visitor comes into the church with unfamiliar surroundings and questions like: where's the bathroom? where's the entrance to this building? will anyone speak to me?

i understand that church is a place to first seek and worship God, but don't forget about the needs of others too! dennis

p.s. if anyone knows of a link, please post it. thanks.

2006/2/23 22:27Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re: Question: Why do people go to church?

you bring up a good point.Where is the love?

2006/2/24 2:27Profile
crusader

Australia:

i can only explain this from my point of view and that is. i love to see and be in a place that has been made for the lord and to see people with the same understanding and Goals as i do and the love for the lord. When living and working in the kind of world we do we can get lost in it's motives when exposed long enough. the church is a good place to gain strength and dust the sand of our feet.

2006/2/26 10:47Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I have never really thought about this
what is the history

2006/2/26 11:55Profile
Graftedbranc

Quote:
"why do people go to church?"

I think people "go to church' for a lot of reasons. Many do so out of religious upbringing. Others go because they want to feel better about themeslves and "going to church" is a 'good" thing to do.

Some go because they are looking for a 'safe social environment" and "church" seems a good place to meet people.

Other's want to improve themselves and think religion is the way to do it.

But the biblical way is for people to come to a saving knowlege of Jesus Christ and as members of the body of Christ, they are led to the fellowship of the saints to grow in Christ, be nourished and become functioning members of the body of Christ.

A love for the Lord Jesus Christ and a desire to pursue Him with "all those who call upon the Name of the Lord out of a pure and sincere heart is the best reason to seek out the fellowship of the church.

God uses other motives to bring people into contact with the church. But His goal is to bring them to Christ, to partake of Christ, to experience Christ as their Life and to know Him in His fullness.

And what is the church anyway? Is it a place? Is it a building? Is it a group of people with the same goals and aims and desires? No. The Church is a living organism. It is the Body of Christ. The "called out ones". Those who have been "sanctified in Christ Jesus, set apart in Him. Those who have been regenerated by HIm and have Him indwelling them as their Life.

I don't believe we have an obligation to provide other things for people other than Christ Himself. Social programs and professionally produced shows and performences may attract a crowd. But if all we have is Christ, then Christ alone will attract them and they will see the reality of Christ in us and will be brought to desire Him.

Unfortunately there is not much reality of Christ in churches today, so to sustain themselves, attract people, and keep people interested, they have to employ all kinds of schemes, entertainments, social events and what have you. And they must offer this and that program to help people in their marriages, resolve this or that problem ect. The result is "churches" filled with unregenerated lonely socialites and religiously moral people who are pursuing religion to improve themselves or find a mate or what have you.

But what about Christ? Is He not enough?

Graftedbranch

2006/2/26 17:26Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Question: Why do people go to church?

I was tricked into it by some friendly people.

:-)

2006/2/26 21:11Profile

We should do all we do unto the Lord. Unfortunately many of us do things out of obligation, whether real or imagined.

If you get up some Sunday morning and get ready for church out of obligation, or you feel that it's what is expected of you... stay home and be alone with God that Sunday.

It's a lot like giving money. Many people give out of obligation because they have been taught that it's a law in Christianity. God doesnt want you to give out of obligation... He wants you to be a cheerful giver, and give out of love.

Same thing for church attendance. If you have to make yourself go to church, better check your motives.

Having said that, being a part of a body of believers is very important. Whether it be a home Bible study group or a large church... we need to be surrounded by people who care about us and where we can grow and serve.

Krispy

2006/2/28 7:42
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I don't think you can put it any better, in a cut and dry laymens terms manner as Krispy did, that about sums it up.
Thanks Brother
You Did Good. :-)

2006/2/28 9:16Profile

Re:

Quote:
I don't think you can put it any better, in a cut and dry laymens terms manner as Krispy did, that about sums it up.
Thanks Brother
You Did Good.

God's truth isnt nearly as difficult as we make it sometimes.

Krispy

2006/2/28 9:24
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

And perhaps another reason is to teach us some self-discipline! How many times have I woke up Sunday mornings and not felt like going to church? Maybe I was tired, or had a lot of work to do? To deny ourselves, our pleasures for time to meditate on God! Waste some time with God! We need that.

When God set aside one day of the week for worship it then meant we should lay aside unnecessary work as well. This not only rests the physical body and mind, but rests our spirits as well.

Many years ago, a tornado roared through our commuinty early one Sunday morning. It destroyed several buildings of a farmer in our church. One of the buildings housed hogs. Before dawn the brethren from our church went there too move the hogs, salvage what feed they could; salvage what could be from the house that was totally destroyed...worship service was canceled that day. If the women were not there helping the clean-up, we were at home cooking food which we took out there to feed the volunteers. Now two weeks went by with no rest. I tell you this taught me a wonderful lesson! Physically, mentally, spiritually we need that one day of rest! I was dreadfully tired at the end of these two weeks!

BTW, we sell tomatoes retail at our greenhouses. Last year a customer informed us we would not have as good a business if we would be open on Sundays! Staying closed Sundays helps our business! While it has not tempted us, it would have seemed to make good business sense to be open sometimes when we have so many to sell. But God always made sure we sold them before they spoiled!

Yes, attending worship service where we focus on God, fellowship with other saints, is a relaxing way to begin another week. Our spiritual batteries will have been recharged. We need it. If God needed a day of rest, who are we to say we do not?

ginnyrose

2006/2/28 10:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy