SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Wow... what a shame!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
phebebird

San Pedro, California

Re:

Hi Annie,
Thank you SO much for sharing your story!! I got tears in my eyes to read it, holding my own 4 month old baby close and hearing my 4 yr old in the other room. I am truly so blessed to be able to have my children around me. I cannot imagine what it must have been like for you all those years! I am so glad that God worked it out for the two of you to meet again.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I'm a labor and delivery nurse. It broke my heart to read your story. I am so glad the laws about signing over parental rights, etc. have changed. I don't think I could take away someone's baby that way. From time to time we have mothers who give up their babies for adoption, or mothers who lose their rights (until they complete rehab) due to drug abuse or some such situation. It is always a very difficult time. Nowadays, though, adoptions always have a cooling off period (a few days or a few weeks, depending on the state), in which the mother can change her mind for any reason. I wish someone had signed that into law much sooner and spared your heartache. Ironically enough, my brother and his wife recently adopted a newborn girl and had her for ten days before the mother did change her mind. Of course it was so hard for my brother and sister-in-law to give up a baby that they already felt was theirs, but God gave them peace through it all and now they are trying to adopt again. They were really glad the mother loved her daughter so much and was willing to raise her, despite the difficulties she was in at the time.

Sometimes I get tired and cranky (like all mothers raising small children), but your post made me give my daughters extra kisses and thank God that they're in my arms. Thanks so much.

Phebe

2006/2/22 23:01Profile
phebebird

San Pedro, California

Re:

Thanks, Diane, for being so gracious. Thanks to all of you. Apologizing is never a barrel of fun--but, hey!--I'm getting better at it! :-) Lord knows I've had a lot of practice! :-)

2006/2/22 23:04Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Dear Annie,

Thank you for sharing this about your daughter. Having been adopted and raised a Catholic this is just a tremendous perspective to hear.
Edit: Obviously it is far much more than that and wonderful that you have been granted this after so many years. I guess I just wanted to allude to the difficulty sometimes of what may appear to be such strong shades of black and white.

2006/2/23 0:19Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Thank you for sharing this...

Yes, thanks to everyone sharing in this thread. In fact, all day long I have been humbled by the things people are sharing in the forums today.

What a priviledge it is to hear about these profound firsthand testimonies.

MC

2006/2/23 3:35Profile

Re:

This is what Diane replied with to my comment that it's easier for us guys to set our emotions aside than it is for the gals...

Quote:
Krispy, you are so sweet. I wonder where you got this idea. ??? on this forum???

No Diane, I've been married for awhile now. :-) Oh, and we have four boys. I observe my neices and realize God has truly blessed us... lol!!

Krispy

2006/2/23 6:46

Re:

Phebebird wrote:

Quote:
Krispy, I think I saw your true colors when you did not respond in like form to my heated post. Thank you for bearing with me. Your attitude is not one of theological arrogance like I had thought.

Hey, thanx for not ignoring my request that you drop in on this thread. Thanks for taking the time to really catch the spirit in which I write the things I do. I wish more of us would do that, myself included. I havent always conducted myself appropriately here either... there is a learning curve.

I can understand why you would want to avoid an RCC thread if you find it hard not to get heated over it. I dont want this to be a stumbling block. I would like to encourage you to keep up with the thread and ponder some of things that are being talked about. You may never agree with some of us, but you may be abel to understand us a little better.

There was a time when I railed against anyone who defended the KJV. Not just railed against, but made fun of. I was a mocker and a scoffer. I had 12 modern versions on my shelf (still do), and I was a die hard NIV guy. However, when I slowed down and really began to dig into why people hold to the KJV and reject modern versions... I found out that they had good reason... and now I am a firm KJV defender.

(please, dont anyone turn this into a KJV thread... I'm merely making a point!)

I find that many times there will be someone on here that I agree with most of the time... and then a topic comes up that we are on the opposite side of the fence about. But thats ok, so long as we agree on the important things such as salvation by grace alone, scripture alone, Christ's redemptive work on the cross, etc. These are things that the RCC has made abundantly clear that they DONT agree with us on... and therein lies the issue.

Krispy

2006/2/23 6:53

Re:

Annie... wow, what a blessing your post was to me this morning. Thank you for sharing that!

I want to make something clear. I dont believe any of us is casting judgement on individual Catholics. How do we know their heart? We dont. Only God does.

What I am saying (and others too) is that the Catholic Church does not teach Biblical salvation. If a Catholic holds to the RCC's teachings concerning salvation, then they are not saved. Is that to say that an individual Catholic can not come to a Biblical understanding of salvation? No, in fact I know that some have.

But the fact remains that the Catholic Church is a false religion. It's teachings are blasphemous. And it's no fluke that the new Pope is a staunch and rigid supporter of hardcore Catholic doctrine. Pope John Paul attempted to bring Protestants and Catholics together, Pope Benedict is more hardline. But they both propogate doctrines of demons. (If they are not doctrines of God, they are doctrines of demons.)

So lest anyone think we are coming against the Catholic neighbor down the road, we're not. We're coming against an institution that has done more harm to the cause of Christ than any institution in the last 2000 years.

By the way, let me say this... I do not consider myself a Protestant. I am a Christian. And Bible believing Christianity did not begin with the Reformation. God has always had His remnant. There were always those who rejected the Catholic Church from it's inception until now. That is who I identify with.

Krispy

2006/2/23 7:12
roadsign

Re: emotions

Quote:
my comment that it's easier for us guys to set our emotions aside than it is for the gals...

Krispy, I was just 'throwing' around some words. But in all seriousness, I cannot pass by this comment without pointing out that the notion that "setting aside" emotions is a virture. It is not. In fact, our society in general tends to encourage the "setting aside" and it is devastating. It is like taking away all our pain nerve endings - you have leprosy. Our society has a lot of emotional leprosy. It destroys relationships, emotional health, and it keeps us from knowing our real selves, and thus keeps God at arm's length.

I wonder, how can anyone read Annie's testimony about her baby without being deeply moved. It moves me to tears just mentioning it here. Not only because of Annie, but because this level of pain is all around us all the time whether we see it our not.

(Thank you Annie for your timely words. They bring us back to real people. Truely God is using your pain to touch many others.)

"Rejoice with those who rejoice.... weep with those who weep"

Unerneath all the theological discussions there are real people. We must move beyond our theological baricades in order to minister to and be ministered to on a deeper level - which involves emotions, true feeling, vulnerability - our spirit. (and risk!!)
And God's glory shines though these cracked clay vessels - and his love pours out.
Diane

2006/2/23 7:26Profile

Re:

Diane... understand that I'm not saying there isnt a place for emotions. Just saying that when we're discussing issues like this we do need to base our arguments on scripture and facts, and not emotions. When emotions are used then we say things like "Well... this person was Catholic and they did a lot of good in the world, therefore they were saved." But thats not what the Bible says. Emotions say that, but not God's Word.

I'm [b]not[/b] advocating apathy by any means. I have a burden on my heart this morning for a friend of mine who I coach football with. I just heard he got fired from his job and in jail. I havent confirmed it yet, but it came from a reliable source. I suspect this friend of mine is drinking again. I'm emotional about that... not crying... but emotional. I care about this guy.

I care about all y'all on here. I'm just saying that we need to not let our emotions and feelings dictate truth. Usually it's anything but truth because our human emotions are deceptive.

Gotta run... got an appointment in 15 mins.

Krispy

2006/2/23 7:35
roadsign

Re: emotions

Quote:
"Well... this person was Catholic and they did a lot of good in the world, therefore they were saved." But thats not what the Bible says. Emotions say that, but not God's Word.

I would not say, "emotions say that" but rather faulty belief said that. Emotions flow out of beliefs, more than the reverse.

Very typically, when someone's cherished beliefs are threatened, they react with some sort of strong emotional response. Who wants to be told they are wrong?! That's why it is often not helpful to try to convince someone that they are wrong. You merely threaten them (whether they admit that they FEEL it or not) and they just work all the harder to "prove" that they are right and you are wrong. (Have you noticed that?)

Ask me how I know. I can drive people crazy trying to convince them there is a different way to see something. So really, I'm just talking to myself here.

Do you ever wonder why Jesus was much harsher with the Pharisees than the "sinners". Maybe it was because their barriers were so rigid. They lacked emotion, sensitivity, empathy...

Jesus didn't "pull rank" , or assert dominance over someone's mind - and maybe that is something worth considering. .. a way to avoid strong emotional reaction to our words. (?)

I think that it really helps to build trust first before we tell someone that there is a different way to look at things.
Above all, the Spirit can guide us.

I find life is easier when I just assume that I could be wrong about a thousand things, and at any time God could put someone in my life to let me see some error in my thinking.

Diane

2006/2/23 7:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy