SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Swearing in movies?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re: Swearing in movies?

The legalist would say "Movies are worldly, why even go?". Another flavor of legalism would say "Why would you go to a movie that YOU KNOW has swearing?". Another flavor "Oh, I will go and plug my ears when i hear cursing". The truth is, we cant know what kind of environment we will walk into(always).. we walk around town, hear cursing, see smoking, drinking, fighting, but we can choose how we respond. What would Jesus do? Jesus talked to a woman who had five husbands(Adultress), talked to a prostitute(filthy?), and threw out a number of demons! He was'nt shocked by their lives. He simply dealt with them and their problems. We should not be shocked either, we should just present Him, to them.

2006/4/20 16:08
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Hey DaveAbreu1,

I wanted to ask you how you put the link between two quotes:

Quote:
The legalist would say "Movies are worldly, why even go?". Another flavor of legalism would say "Why would you go to a movie that YOU KNOW has swearing?". Another flavor "Oh, I will go and plug my ears when i hear cursing".

and

Quote:
The truth is, we cant know what kind of environment we will walk into(always).. we walk around town, hear cursing, see smoking, drinking, fighting, but we can choose how we respond. What would Jesus do? Jesus talked to a woman who had five husbands(Adultress), talked to a prostitute(filthy?), and threw out a number of demons! He was'nt shocked by their lives. He simply dealt with them and their problems. We should not be shocked either, we should just present Him, to them.

Thanks! :)

2006/4/20 17:47Profile
PassingThru

Re:

Quote:
The legalist would say "Movies are worldly, why even go?". Another flavor of legalism would say "Why would you go to a movie that YOU KNOW has swearing?". Another flavor "Oh, I will go and plug my ears when i hear cursing". The truth is, we cant know what kind of environment we will walk into(always)...

I think there is a big difference between enduring bad language and attitudes in our daily contact with other people and idly absorbing profanities as part of own entertainment.

PassingThru

2006/4/20 20:28Profile

Re:

wELL iM nO wRITER...jUST A sTREET eVANGELIST. fORGIVE, fORGIVE.

2006/4/21 9:16

Re:

OK..OK..You know what? Just lastnite, i smelled smoke in my apartment. If my Girlfriend was here, she would get upset, and want to correct the neighbors for "smoking". I felt GOD say "I love smokers". We get so upset over all the evil we see,and hear, but God loves those sinners! We have a choice on what we see. But what do we do when we dont get to "choose". We grow up. Christian intolorance is actually a bunch of hula-bula!... Solution? Grow in the LOVE of CHRIST. The Letter Kills! We should be known as LOVERS of Sinners, and not CONDEMNERS of SINNERS...Christ was a LOVER to the lost, not they're judge...Its all about "Love' Love' Love"

2006/4/21 9:32

Re:

Quote:
I think there is a big difference between enduring bad language and attitudes in our daily contact with other people and idly absorbing profanities as part of own entertainment.

Exactly! When we spend money to purposely subject ourselves to sin it is a whole different thing.

One thing I have noticed is that most DVD's now will tell you on the rating thing why it's rated PG, PG-13 or R. For instance it may say "mild language" or "Thematic violence" or "Crude Humor" (which crude humor usually means fart jokes). So there are some safe guards. Dont express surprise when you rent a movie that that has cussing all thru it when the back cover of the case TOLD YOU there is "strong language" in it.

Or you could just spend that 90 minutes playing a game around the table with your children, or studying God's Word. I dont know why we in America think we NEED to be entertained by movies and such. It seems TV and movies is such an incredible waste of time. And I'm preaching to myself as well! I'm guilty too.

Welcome to Laodecia, folks. We're so rich and so cold. There are millions of people world-wide that need Jesus, and we're discussing whether believers should watch movies with cussing in them. I dont know about anyone else, but I feel convicted... not about this topic, but about wasting the time and resources God has given me sitting in front of the TV while millions slip into eternity daily.

Krispy

2006/4/21 9:44
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re:

I once was teaching a lesson to my children. I asked my son to go to the kitchen and get a clear glass with water in it.
When he returned, I asked him to take a drink, which he did without hesitation. Then I went outside and got a small pinch of dirt, brought it back in and dropped it in the glass. Most of it tricled to the bottom without discoloring the water.
I asked him to have another drink. "No!" "Why not"? "You put dirt in it". "It's only a little dirt, and besides, here is still 100% water in the glass." "No, I'm not drinking it".
"So you are saying, then, that just a pinch of dirt makes it unfit?" "Yes". "So when you are asking for permission to go see a particular movie and your argument is that it has only a few bad words or only one sex scene, why is it that you think the movie is still fit to watch, but you won't drink this water"?
Besides all of that, watching tv and movies are a huge waste of time. We are stewards of our time. Two of our most precious gifts are time and health. What kind of steward are we of our time? How important is that to God?
I must confess that I have repented of wasting most of my life. But thank God it's not over yet. I dont' have time for tv or movies. Souls are perishing in His kingdom.
It's not about movies and tv, it's about who you are and Whose you are. It does not take much dirt to make your vessel impure. You might get a thirsty person to drink. But most people won't. If you are outside and you have a glass of tea in your hand and a wind comes up blowing dirt and junk around, what do you do? You put your hand over your tea. Why? Come on folks, this is not difficult.
As american chrisitans, we are just far too tolerant, and far to carnal. We need to get back to the bible, and back to obeying God. You don't want Him to ask you one day..."where were you when I was thirsty, where were you when I was hungry, where were you when I was sick and imprisoned......????? Don't go there......

"O"

2006/4/21 10:09Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Welcome to Laodecia, folks. We're so rich and so cold. There are millions of people world-wide that need Jesus, and we're discussing whether believers should watch movies with cussing in them. I dont know about anyone else, but I feel convicted... not about this topic, but about wasting the time and resources God has given me sitting in front of the TV while millions slip into eternity daily.

Amen. Time is such a precious thing. We have so little with so much to do.

2006/4/21 11:22Profile
roadsign

Re: getting to the heart issue

I rarely watch movies - only when my husband really wants me to watch something - like the March of the Penguins last year. That may seem like such a saintly practice, but to that habit itself God says, “So What!” He is far more concerned that I am submitted to him, and then he will use anything, even movies to reveal his truths to me.

Several years ago I visited some missionary friends. She insisted I watch a nature movie, even in spite of my objections. That seemed like strange behavior for a Spirit-filled Christian. I was offended, and really wanted to visit HER, a rare opportunity, as she was home on furlough. However, I really had little choice if I wanted to be polite.

It turned out that a few days later God used a particular scene to help me understand an important truth that would guide me into a serious decision. The details need not be explained – just to say that, we simply can’t try to fit movies into our neat little check-boxes by which we define our walk with the Lord. He wants our submission to him, not a set of black and white rules that we try to define. (which is impossible to do in this case - there are so many aspects to the issue)

God works outside our boxes. So let’s be careful what boxes we make for ourselves.

The original question here is a yes-no question – something Jesus did not take to. Notice, he never answered the Pharisees yes-no legal questions with a legal yes or no answer, but instead got to the real heart issue.

I think a lot of the replies here are attempting to do just that.
Diane

2006/4/21 15:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy