SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Swearing in movies?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
brentw

Ohio

Re: Swearing in movies?

I love what Tozer said: "Hollywood has faces like angels but morals like ally cats"

2006/3/6 15:39Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I try to keep this standard:

to only watch on TV what I would actually do myself.

Ones who watch things they know they shouldn't... I wonder if really they wish they could do what they are watching.

That erases a lot of options. I do watch things from time to time. For instance. I watch the news sometimes. True documentaries. I would and do study history...

2006/3/6 15:56Profile

Re:

Quote:
This thread raises an issue that a friend and I were discussing recently. Namely, how do cetain words get labled as "cuss" words anyway? I mean, the good 'ol KJV uses certain words that were commonly used back in those days (like "piss"), but that are considered profane in certain circles today. Isn't this more a matter of culture than of morality?

2Ti 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Profanity is by and large defined by the culture we live in. If our culture considers something to be profane, then I believe we should avoid it so as not to bring reproach upon the name of Christ.

Thats a Biblical principle linked with a command. We can argue all day if s__t should really be considered profane... the fact is people do consider it a cuss word, saved & unsaved alike. So why would a child of God want to use it? Are people in this culture so stupid that they cant talk without using vulgar language?

Krispy

2006/3/7 5:19

Re:

As to the original question of this thread... I have one word that settles the issue:

[b][u]HOLINESS[/u][/b]

Krispy

2006/3/7 5:20
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

What does one do if they are in a conversation with somebody and they start cussing? This happens to me all the time when I'm street preaching, and some of my street preaching tapes I've recorded have people cussing and the like on it. Should I toss out those tapes because of the profanity in them?

2006/3/7 10:25Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

I watched a film the other night with some cuss words in it, when on a couple of occasions the name of our Lord was blasphemed I silently apologised, but carried on watching.

The morning after in my quiet time, I started by praying something like; 'blessed be your name...' and He said to me; 'how can you say you bless my name and still listen to it being cursed in films?.'

I took it as a reprimand and my aim for the next few months is to remove ALL films from my house. (it would be easier if I lived on my own but my wife and kids, whom I love and want to protect, don't quite see it as I do).

Still, onwards and upwards.

2006/3/7 16:42Profile
it234

Re:

Movies...TV...Video Games...entertainment as a whole, what is really the point? What is the eternal value of "entertainment"? Are we storing up treasure in heaven? How would you [i]justify/explain[/i] why you spend so much time "entertaining" yourself, why you spend [i]any[/i] time at all [i]wasting[/i] time?

(I'm not talking about not being able to do anything while we, say, eat, but it's what we do in our freetime that I'm trying to get at, when we "have nothing better to do")

2006/4/20 1:14Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
how do cetain words get labled as "cuss" words anyway?

I think a word becomes a cuss word by its use, ie the context. And then people copy each other. It becomes a cultural thing. And the movie industry uses common cultural terms.
Quote:
Profanity is by and large defined by the culture we live in.

The use of cuss words may be a way of expressing anger or getting attention. I know a young child who absorbed all the swear words he heard at school and then used them at home. He had no idea what the words meant, but he DID learn that the words had enormous power – power to get attention – to stir people up (which he loved doing) The more others got angry with him for using them, the more power and attention he felt he had, and so the more he used them. It was a sad, dysfunctional power struggle between child, siblings and parents. The issue really had nothing to do with swear words.

Lately I have been thrown off by the way our ‘traditional’ swear words are used as terms of endearment – in a friendly chat – especially among the youth.

Consider our youth lingo: (I’ll avoid swear words, but you’ll get the drift)
“That’s sick!” really means, “That is awesome.”
Or “That is wicked,” means “That’s wonderful.”

I believe we can cuss without using cuss words. It has the same effect. When speaking around others, we aught not to use ANY words that reveal a disrespect and lack of consideration for those around us. It’s not always the word itself, but the tone of voice, and context. For example: “Hell” is a four-letter word in the Bible. In context it can be used like a cuss word, or in a way that shows disrespect - like telling someone to go there when we are angry at them. This is wrong, ALWAYS.

“May the words of our mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O, Lord.” Ps 19:14

What is in the heart proceeds out of our mouths. To what extend should we try to make non-Christians stop swearing? Should we? Why? So that WE won’t be offended? So that WE can have clean movies? Will our efforts draw them closer to Christ? Perhaps yes, and perhaps no. We may merely succeed in effecting outer change if we are only interested in the words and not in them as people.

Above all we are accountable for the words WE use, and what we do about words we hear. May God help us tune out what is of no value to us in order that we can keep focused on the real important issues at hand: people – our relationship with them, the intent of the communicated message, their relationship with God, etc - not merely words. After all, words themselves are only 7% of the message. (apparently)

Quote:
How would you justify/explain why you spend so much time "entertaining" yourself, why you spend any time at all wasting time?

Maybe this is the real issue.
Diane

2006/4/20 7:25Profile
teamtoucan

Queanbeyan, Canberra, NSW, Australia

Re:

Hi AllHaveSinned,

I'm with you - throw out all the worldly movies, books, CDs, clothes, whatever, but especially the movies.

Go for it!

God blesses us for obedience and seeking to live pure lives.

"Without holiness no one will see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14)

God bless you immensely,

2006/4/20 8:07Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
2Ti 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Profanity is by and large defined by the culture we live in. If our culture considers something to be profane, then I believe we should avoid it so as not to bring reproach upon the name of Christ.

I recall a study once of this issue and found that when something is 'profaned' it is made common or stripped of its sacredness. Like vandalism or something. You will notice that many so-called 'cuss' words take some [i]reality[/i] and vandalize it or more excellently 'violate' it. The word 'profane' comes from the root [i]basis[/i] which means 'the foot'. I suppose we could say that when a person 'profanes' something they are trodding that reality under foot.

Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath [u]trodden under foot[/u] the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace. (Hebrews 10:29)

This is an act of making Christ common. The name of God can be violated also and that by taking it in 'vain'. I suppose there are other things such as physical relations as well as bodily functions that have been given a 'name' that takes the reality in vain and trods it under foot. It is disrespecting the function and making lite of it. Believers may well have to tolerate these words and sayings in everyday life, but God forbid that they would ever be entertained by them.

2006/4/20 8:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy