SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Swearing in movies?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
MisterCheez

Colorado

Re: Swearing in Movies

Quote:
I am not so convinced Satan desires our living in gross immorality, if he can just dull our sword, take the edge off our sense of urgency, take the edge off our sense of desperation for holiness.

I think you're right. Satan doesn't usually spring outright lies on believers. He operates in half-truths, consider Adam and Eves' temptation in the garden and Christ's temptation in the wilderness. The enemy takes a truth and changes it just enough to lure us. We are lured to a place of apathy or perceived failure/condemnation.

Another tactic is getting us interested in relatively benign 'good' things - hobbies, music, reading, scholarship, and so forth. As Ravenhill has said, "it is the good in life that is the enemy of the best." Consider listening to a wholesome CD versus singing the music in our heart to God. Or reading a helpful book versus reading the living book (Bible). Or going to a concert versus going to a prayer meeting.

We are instructed to make the most of our time because the days are evil [Eph 5:16]. When our heart is burning to seek and serve the Lord, questionable pursuits (such as decent movies with swearing) won't be an issue because we won't have the time or interest.

I long for Christ to slay me, so that I may be dead to this world and take up my cross. He promises to cause us to walk in His statutes (Ezekiel 36:27) and I'm convinced it is the Holy Spirit Who will guide our discernment as to when or even whether we should watch a movie with some swearing. Just last week, the Holy Spirit showed me that I had an idol in my life - video games. I had one game, a sports game, and the rule was that I could only play it if a friend was over. Nevertheless, God revealed in quiet time, bondage associated with this sneaky little idol. Destroying the idol brought incredible breakthrough. We should always be on the lookout for 'good'/'recreational'/'entertaining' thieves that would hinder our pursuit of God.

We only have one life to live and these are perilous times.

2006/2/23 10:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
it is almost as if folk have an attitude they are going to the movies and the only discernment will be to determine which is the “best of the worst.” This in and of itself should send up some red flags.

Thank you, I am so glad to hear you say that. That is so true.

Krispy

2006/2/23 12:56

Re:

Quote:
I would find myself rather watching a movie like Once Upon a Time in Mexico(with mild cussing and some violence) rather than ya know something totally "innocent" like the care bares; just because at least Once Upon a Time in Mexico tells the story of humanity like it is. Dirty and evil.

I'm not a Care Bears fan either, and I dont like syrupy movies... but as far as watching a movie that "tells the story of humanity like it is. Dirty and evil" ... I personally cant get past this:

Phi 4:8-9 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

I can watch the news if I want to see like as it is, dirty and evil.

Krispy

2006/2/23 13:00
brentw

Ohio

Re:

I'm paraphrasing Ravenhill a little but he said something about having the Lord sit next to you when you watch tv....

Yes, just take Jesus with you and have Him sit next to you, and matter of fact give Him the remote :-o Ravenhill said keep a record book next to you of how much you pray and how much tv you watched...and then show your book keeping to the Lord... ;-)
We cant sit with Jesus all day but we can walk with Him all day!

2006/2/23 13:25Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I am not so convinced Satan desires our living in gross immorality, if he can just dull our sword, take the edge off our sense of urgency, take the edge off our sense of desperation for holiness. In my opinion this is the regrettable end result of much of what we call entertainment.

This sounds very similar to C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters. Subtle evil is insidious because it never jarrs or alarms the drowzy conscience.

For myself, I find that it's not always what is put in movies that is disturbing, but what is left out. The swearing that is found in movies is really only a symptom of a much more subtle "spiritual omission" that protrays humans as characters living in a godless or god-irrelevant universe. Even "wholesome" or family films do this. For instance, consider Tom Hank's movie "Castaway," in which he plays a man shipwrecked and utterly alone on an island for several years. It seemed odd to me that he never once even uttered a simple prayer to God...instead he invented an imaginary friend out of a volleyball that washed up on shore. (named Wilson...)Growing up with a steady diet of these films can make faith in God seem like faith in unreality. I suppose that's what Tozer was seeing back in the earlier years of Hollywood.

Some movie trivia on the subject of swearing; the recent movie [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002C9D9U/qid=1140719939/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9653798-9015818?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130]Luther[/url] portrays Martin Luther as cussing at the devil during his private prayer times. I have watched this movie with my oldest son.

MC

2006/2/23 13:54Profile
asachild

Re:

Phi 4:8-9 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

What if one's heart was only full of the lovely? What if (as we find we need so often to be convicted of) we failed to keep in our hearts the pain of a paradise lost? Our entire heart and soul are claimed by Christ, but part of existing in the creation He desires to restore is to walk through life with eyes wide open to all of life, not simply the lovely. For it is then we view pain that we seek a Healer.

It is not a matter of Christians justifying what art they partake in, nor does 'living with eyes open to all of life' grant a disciple liberty to indulge in what sadness and sin is found in art in modern culture. By no means.

If we believe in a God of totallity, and in living lives of totallity in response to His grace, art then must not simply look upon the lovely. It is a matter of finding a place beyond the extremes of indulgance in the impure material in movies (the role so often intended when the piece is made) and complete removal of precense from all that bears any mark of being lost in this world. Used unindulgantly and with purpose, swearing points to a need for hope, shedding light on the human condition.

It is also a matter of maturity of faith. As much as a uncompartmenatalized view does not grant the liberty to indulge in whatever one is swayed towards, following Christ does not entail every believer to view the same things with the same amount of discretion. It is still God who sets the standard for us, and he was not talking foolishness when he said "Be ye perfect." In truly partaking in any art form, one has to shed their worldview and temporarily bear the artist's - a scary thought some might say, but we do it as agents of grace in His kingdom.

A teacher of mine once told me, "If you want to read painful stories, full of sin, sexuality and sorrow... read the Old Testament" And for that matter read the New Testament. God's story includes sin - He calls His people to holy lives away from it, but calls us still to be His Redeemed children in the fallen world.

2006/2/23 13:54Profile
Billy7

Re:

This thread raises an issue that a friend and I were discussing recently. Namely, how do cetain words get labled as "cuss" words anyway? I mean, the good 'ol KJV uses certain words that were commonly used back in those days (like "piss"), but that are considered profane in certain circles today. Isn't this more a matter of culture than of morality?

An example of what I'm talking about would be some of the language used in the movie "Luther"? Did any of you see it? I thought it was a great movie. However, it has some scenes where "Martin Luther" uses, what most of us would consider to be, profanity to rebuke satan, i.e., sh*t. There are other instances of "profanity" in the movie as well.

I think this raises the question of what is considered acceptable and what is considered profane in a given culture and/or time period. For example, was the word "sh*t" a commonly accepted term back in 16th century Germany, such as the word "piss" was back in England in 1611?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to justify gutter language, I'm just curious about how these things come about. And I sure do hope that this post doesn't offend anyone.

Anyway, beyond all that, what really bothers me is that it seems like the most popular cuss word in movies today is the precious name of our Lord. I've always wondered, why is it that you never hear anybody in a movie shout "SATAN!" when they stub their toe? Instead they always scream "JESUS CHRIST!" I think this, better than anything else, shows what Hollywood stands for and who is really behind it. They openly and unashamedly take the highest and most glorious name there is and reduce it to nothing more than a four-letter word.

I think this is where we have to draw the line, in regards to movies and swearing. I wouldn't sit through a movie where my earthly father's name was used as a mere cuss word, so how much more should I respect and honor my heavenly Father's name and the name of my glorious Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

2006/2/23 14:19Profile
Billy7

Re:

Hi Compton,

Didn't realize you had posted about "Luther." I guess you made your post while I was writing mine. What did you make of "Martin Luther's" cussing the devil?

To be honest, he's had me mad enough a few times, that I've felt like cussing him too!

2006/2/23 14:26Profile
Compton

Re:

Billy7,

Quote:
To be honest, he's had me mad enough a few times, that I've felt like cussing him too!

Can we afford to be this honest in these threads? ;-) Well I'm "feelin'" you, if you know what I mean!

MC

2006/2/23 14:56Profile

Re:

This question is almost as much of silliness as the "Cuss Busters" sold at [u]the Christian Bookstore.[/u]

"WHAT ON EARTH ?" ... that's what our old Greek professor always would say, when someone spun his head around. Ha.

I can't even imagine what on earth "Christians" would need a "Cuss Buster" for.

Does any of this make sense to anyone out there ?

:-(

2006/3/6 15:33

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy