SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : About Paul

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
free

About Paul

Harold Bloom in his book "Jesus & Yahweh" claims that Paul evades if not denies the Incarnation (Phil 26-11)

Could someone please enlighten me on this?

2006/2/20 3:11Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: About Paul

Quote:
Harold Bloom in his book "Jesus & Yahweh" claims that Paul evades if not denies the Incarnation (Phil 26-11)

I didn't know this writer so I went Amazon to see the intro to the book. (Always a convenient starting point this). It seems that his reputation is really in literary criticism rather than theology.

There is a line of his which reads "The New Testament frequently is a strong misreading of the Hebrew Bible, and certainly it has persuaded multitudes." I presume that this means he doesn't like the times the Greek NT quotes from the Septuagint and that he doesn't believe that the NT gives the definitive interpretation to many OT passages.

Many, from a Jewish heritage, are locked into a strictly OT interpretation of the OT and I suspect that, being a literary critic, he is doubly locked into a rationalist mind set which has not left him open to 'revelation'. He is stuck with 'reason' only.

The quote you give is curious. I would have thought that this is the strongest statement, outside the Gospels, of the incarnation. The journey of Phil 2 takes us from equality with God to servanthood, man and death on a cross. How much more clear could Paul be on this?

2006/2/20 4:06Profile

Re:

I dont believe that we as Christians should bury our heads in the sand and never listen to opposing views against Christianity... however, I believe we do need to be careful. If we read books like this, or watch some of the rediculous shows on The History Channel or Discovery about Christianity, they can plant a seed of doubt in our minds about what we believe. There is nothing wrong with having our beliefs challenged, I think that can be healthy if we go to the Source (God's Word). But in the church today so few Christians actually read the Bible, much less study it, and so many of these opposing views go unchallenged because most believers dont understand what it is that they believe... and couldnt challenge their way out of a paper bag.

Kinda like debating with a Jehovah's Witness. If you dont know God's Word thoroughly, dont ever get into a discussion with a JW.

It's a sad state of affairs, and many believers get sucked into these books and shows. My general advise to folks to not read these books or watch these shows unless you are saturated up to your eye balls with God's Word.

Krispy

2006/2/20 7:03
free

Re: about paul

Harold Bloom should stick to literary criticism and I agree with Phil that Bloom is locked into a "rationalist" mindset. He is a very convincing literary critic and Ive read many of his works on Shakespeare etc but the book in question (Jesus & Yahweh) is such a clear debunking of Christianity and obviously he is trying (before he dies, I presume) to "reclaim" the OT. Regarding Paul, it is his opinion that "Paul hates" him (meaning Jews) and he hates Paul.

2006/2/20 8:55Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Regarding Paul, it is his opinion that "Paul hates" him (meaning Jews) and he hates Paul.

It seems that maybe he has done some very selective reading. I don't know how anyone could say such a thing after reading Romans 9-11.

Here are the words of a man who was not concerned for self but for others and the glory of God...

I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost, That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
(Rom 9:1-3)

Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
(Rom 10:1)

For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
(1Co 9:19-20)

In Christ,

Ron

2006/2/20 10:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy