SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is truth?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Truth...

What is the one common element in Revival? Having never been in one where the Lords Presence was manifested as in the past amongst many people it is only by way of observance. Yet, is it not a forcing of the issue of honesty? Hence the weeping and brokenness, the exposure of the false, the very admittance that is drawn out from within.

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Eze 44:9 Thus saith the Lord GOD; No stranger, uncircumcised in heart, nor uncircumcised in flesh, shall enter into my sanctuary, of any stranger that is among the children of Israel.

Rev 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

It was the same similar realization that came to bear down in a personal way and brought forth a change of allegiance. That I was living a lie and was a liar and a rebel and a hypocrite. "Good" in my own eyes in a 'peacemaking' sort of way, a hopeless romantic buying into a humanistic construct, sloppy 'agape', ruled by the emotions, sentimentality, a cherry-picking of notions, imaginations, half-truths, even God's truth. That God saw fit in His great mercy to rescue this fool from himself, not by way of man (though many of His own had implanted the seed of conviction over the years, precious saints!) but 'forced' the issue by hunting this one down ... something I will never fully grasp, in His great love that was so overwhelming that it shattered every illusion and brought forth a facing of the truth and a decision. May I interject something just here? Is this not a great problem with much of this modern days constructs of saying a prayer, repeating a formula, leading someone in 'the sinners prayer'? We have been over much of this elsewhere and it is not all cut and dried but the ease which can be given even by the well intentioned... Mustn't there be a solitary confrontation, that only the singular soul and God Himself can have the exchange made possible?

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Have gone on long enough. Truth is all there is, all that matters. It is the one thing that makes this heart leap, the ears are attentive and just to delve into this is incredibly edifying, the spirit soars and my soul rejoices in thankfulness and wonder to our God. Just one more, this profound 'revelation' if I may, something that has just gripped me in the past few weeks;

This becomes even more evident when another priest arises in the likeness of Melchizedek, who has become a priest, not on the basis of a legal requirement concerning bodily descent, but by the power of an [u]indestructible life.[/u] Heb 7:15,16 (ESV)

My contemplation has been that the resurection of our Lord is not miracle, but fact. Not so much 'belief' but statement. To just muse on this... You cannot kill the truth.

Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
1Co 15:12-19

[b]But[/b] now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1Co 15:20-22

Precious truth ... Praise God!

Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. Eph 1:9-14

2006/2/20 11:30Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: What is truth?

Just a few thoughts on the different senses that the word "truth" is given in Scripture, from the Easton Bible Dictionary...

1. that which is opposed and in contrast to a lie...

He that speaketh truth sheweth forth righteousness: but a false witness deceit.
(Pro 12:17)

The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.
(Pro 12:19)

2. fidelity and truthfulness...

And judgment is turned away backward, and justice standeth afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter. Yea, truth faileth; and he that departeth from evil maketh himself a prey: and the LORD saw it, and it displeased him that there was no judgment.
(Isa 59:14-15)

But thou shalt say unto them, This is a nation that obeyeth not the voice of the LORD their God, nor receiveth correction: truth is perished, and is cut off from their mouth.
(Jer 7:28)

3. The doctrine of Christ is called truth...

To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.
(Gal 2:5)

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
(2Ti 3:7)

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
(2Ti 4:4)

4. Jesus himself is the Truth...

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
(Joh 14:6)

In Christ,

Ron

2006/2/20 12:07Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

We might start here...“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.” (John 1:17 KJVS)The confrontationist might want to say 'didn't Moses have some truth too'? but there is a significance here that rewards digging a little.

It is the difference between the words translated 'given' and 'came'. The Law was given 'through' Moses; that is to say the Law was 'mediated' 'through' Moses but not originated by him. The word translated 'came' is 'ginomai' which means 'to come into existence'. Moses was only the mediator of the Law, but Truth has its origin in Jesus Christ. He is the only source of truth.

This makes it clear that 'truth' is not the same as 'facts'. My garden fence is green; this is fact but its not the kind of fact that is likely to change many lives. I chose to start with John because John is 'aware' of Greek philosophy. He wrote in Greek and introduces Christ as the Logos, which is a word with a history. He also uses the Greek word Truth which also has a history.

Are you familiar with [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave]Plato's Cave[/url] ? I am not supporting Plato but this way of thinking was well known in Bible days. Like most philosophic illustrations this one is likely to generate more heat than light but I will cut to the chase... Plato imagined captives looking on a wall on which they saw the 'shadows'. The shadows were the only 'reality' they knew but they were but shadows of the real.

The OT is full of types and shadows and it was the only 'reality' that the OT saints knew. (Col 2:17; Heb 8:5; 9:5; 10:1) But shadows of those OT types and pictures were not 'the reality' but only shadows of 'the reality'. Christ is not a 'shadow' or picture of the truth; He is the Truth. It would be quite justifiable to paraphrase the Greek word for 'truth' as 'reality'. "The Law was given through Moses, but the Reality came into existence through Jesus Christ".

Our words are shadows and symbols but Christ is the Reality which all our words strive for. I sometimes fear that much of modern Christianity is still stuck in the world of shadows and symbols and has seldom tasted the 'reality' that is Christ. We do need to ask ourselves constantly; what do I know? Not what have I been taught? But what have I received of Christ's reality? Not all those who believe in justification by faith are justified by faith and we have a sobering statement that [u]many[/u] will say "I prophesied, cast out demons, did many mighty works, [u]in thy name[/u]" and will hear the reply; "I never knew you..."

2006/2/20 12:20Profile

Re: Christ: The sum of all spiritual things...

I put the title of a Nee book in this little subtitler.

It's just that the post you did Ron, reminded me a bit of that wonderful title and the book somewhat.

I think it's a wonderful thing to show that the O.T. and New are 100% Christocentric.
And I especially liked your last paragraph.

And if I had to condense down even further, this one sentence did it well .... ""Our words are shadows and symbols but Christ is the Reality which all our words strive for.""

That is the sum total of all spiritual things: as Nee and others would say, the "Reality" is experiential and can be no other way. Revelation is experiential. To "Know" Him.... !

You needn't be a Nee fan, but there is a good book, compiled by Sentinel Kulp (Whitaker House) that just gives quick quotes from 63 of Nee's books.

Just one quick quote from that book, under the title given above ... "Real light is not mere knowledge; it is none other than the Lord Himself."

Thanks !!

2006/2/20 14:32
grod95

Re: What is truth?

Truth is the stripping down of all things to Christ alone. Truth is loving God and our neighbor as ourselves. Truth knows no prejudice or preference. Truth is lived and seldom proclaimed in the sense of what we perceive proclamation to be. Truth is embraced in the hidden man of the heart. Truth is an intense passion for the Lord Jesus Christ and His people. Truth is the motivating factor for seeking more reality. Truth is not religious nor pretentious. Truth is transparent. Truth is not concerned with what others think. Truth seeks the honor of God preeminently knowing that everything else will fall into place.

Truth has one focus: CHRIST! Truth directs us to complete faith in Christ. Truth enables us to walk uprightly when our only spectator is God. Truth is satisfied to take the low place. Truth is confident in itself and ultimately Himself because truth has been vindicated and secured at the cross! Truth never stops pleading for fellowship. Truth stands in fierce opposition to anything false (whether it is obvious or painfully subtle). Truth awaits the second coming and the manifestation of the children of God.

One in Christ,

grod95

2006/2/21 23:22Profile

Re: Truth !

grod, this is very good. I like it very much.
I would only ask that you just add One more thing to it. Where you say "Truth is an intense passion for the Lord Jesus Christ and His people." .... could you add somewhere in this treatise, "A burden for the Lost".

I liked this also because I heard an intense message two nites ago I think, by John MacArthur I believe about "Truth" and he said all that you just said almost verbatum. Which confirms to me, that we are to not care what others say, if we know something is Truth. That's what he said also.
He quoted Martin Llyod-Jones too and I wish I could get a copy of that message. It was either the early morning hours of 2/21 or night-time of 2/20. If someone could find it, for me or for themselves. You'd like it grod ... since he agrees with your post.
I'll post your post again here, so we don't lose it with mine here.

Thanks !!!
His Love.
Annie

Quote:

grod95 wrote:
[b]Truth is the stripping down of all things to Christ alone. Truth is loving God and our neighbor as ourselves. Truth knows no prejudice or preference. Truth is lived and seldom proclaimed in the sense of what we perceive proclamation to be. Truth is embraced in the hidden man of the heart. Truth is an intense passion for the Lord Jesus Christ and His people. Truth is the motivating factor for seeking more reality. Truth is not religious nor pretentious. Truth is transparent. Truth is not concerned with what others think. Truth seeks the honor of God preeminently knowing that everything else will fall into place.

Truth has one focus: CHRIST! Truth directs us to complete faith in Christ. Truth enables us to walk uprightly when our only spectator is God. Truth is satisfied to take the low place. Truth is confident in itself and ultimately Himself because truth has been vindicated and secured at the cross! Truth never stops pleading for fellowship. Truth stands in fierce opposition to anything false (whether it is obvious or painfully subtle). Truth awaits the second coming and the manifestation of the children of God.[/b]

2006/2/22 16:51
grod95

Re:

thanks.

g.

2006/5/7 22:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy