SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Students dropping titles for nondenominational

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Why hide their true affiliation? - so as not to scare away the non-denominational types??
Diane

Why: your second question kind of answers it. Not fully though.

They just don't hide it, but EVEN they reconize that people don't care about a 'denomination' but instead LOVE and belonging.

Quote:
I am finding that more and more youth are seeking genuine Christianity all together. They want folk to get saved and delivered from Sin and set free from the enemy. God raise up more of them!
Robert

Amen! Definatly brother!

These young lad's desire pure spiritual milk, no matter what source it's coming from. But PURE is what their hungering for. Sign, wonders, and a great harvest will follow these kids. Because of their hunger for this PURE SPIRITUAL MILK, they will be even more desperate than a natural child. These kids are willing to cast down their regular food so that they may receive spiritual food.

These kids are non-comprimising and faith-fill, not limiting God but instead 'opening the box' that the "Church" has put on God.

But at the same time, these kids need adults to guide them.

On minister said 'A jet engine is no good without wings' And these kids need wings. Mentorship, discipleship, and wisdom imparted into them is key.

Blessings.
Joshua

2006/2/19 0:36
ccchhhrrriiisss

What's in a name?

Hi roadsign...!

Quote:
What troubles me is the new labels showing up all over on Church signs: "Community Church", "Family Center" etc. but really they still belong to their original denomination. Only the name was changed. They really are NOT indepentant.
Why hide their true affiliation? - so as not to scare away the non-denominational types??

I have noticed this too. A large Baptist Church in Corpus Christi recently changed its name to sound very "nondenominational." Another church with a "nondenominational-sounding" name recently opened in my University town, and after viewing their website, I discovered that they are southern baptists. Even some pentecostal "fellowships" (like the Assemblies of God) are starting to lose the denominational tags. A large Assembly of God church nearby was considering changing their name to "Most Precious Blood of Jesus Church" in order to sound more "Roman Catholic" in this heavily Catholic town.

Is there a problem with this? Well, for one, it is becoming very difficult to know what kind of beliefs a particular church follows. The "Church of Acts" in San Antonio is far different from the "Church of Acts" in Corpus Christi. Now it is also becoming difficult to understand the beliefs of a church. You may attend a particular meeting believing that the church is non-denominational pentecostals -- only to find out that they are baptists. When I visit a town, I usually look up the churches that are listed in the phone book. I like to attend certain types of Churches (namely, Assembly of God or Calvary Chapel fellowships). But this is now becoming difficult. Sometimes, these churches are not even listed under the respective denomination/fellowship in the yellow pages.

But the most troubling thing about this is the fact that many Churches are doing this in a humanistic attempt of achieving revival. They believe that more people will attend their church if they don't know what kind of church it is -- or if their church name doesn't sound too "inclusive." In my opinion, it can be somewhat deceptive. If the Spirit of the Lord is not moving in hearts when the name is "First Assembly of God" -- what makes you think that the Spirit of the Lord will move in those same hearts if your name is called "The Church Without Walls?!?" It reminds me of the warning about taking a census. The act of taking the census was not the problem. It was the fact that the nation of Israel would believe that they were established due to their own strength, rather than because of the hand of the Lord. These "non-denominational" denominational churches seem to be doing the same thing. They feel that by their action (changing the church name) that they are going to win a greater spiritual victory in their town. Thus, if this gimmick works -- then it is done because of their own strength (or rather, idea) instead of by the drawing power of the Lord.

Don't get me wrong -- I am a non-denominational person. I have attended more denominations than I can count. And I feel liberty to worship the Lord with other true believers, regardless of the Church name. But it seems deceptive to use the name in such a way as to confuse those that are wanting to attend.

:-(

2006/2/19 1:39Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: how will you be able to tell what anybody believes

With churches dropping there names how will you be able to tell what church is what and if all churches are non denominational, what will happen to the non denominatinal churches that really are non denominational.
I also dont want to go into a baptist church that says it non denominational and says that it is.
Wouldnt this bring kids and even me just greater confusion

Dom

2006/2/24 13:58Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

There is a church in my area that the sign says this:

a Church of Christ
meets here.

An Undenominational Church

2006/2/24 14:30Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
With churches dropping there names how will you be able to tell what church is what ...

Could it be possible that God is behind this move? Do we really have a right to choose what denomination we want to attend - according to our comfort zones? Is it not up to God to lead us to the one of HIS choosing? If he would like to use us for his glory in one we are not "comfortable" with, or we don't "agree with", then who are we to argue with him?

We who are true believers are the salt. Where does that salt come from: Christ, right? And we are to go and be salt of the earth - which includes people in churches all over.

I think many have it wrong. They want to find the church that they think will keep them salty, but they don't think that the salt comes from Christ.

Perhaps it is good there are no clear denominational names. It leaves room for mystery, and we may have some wonderful surprises.

.... just another way to look at it....
Diane

2006/2/24 16:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy