SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : JONAH - the only prophet to...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

JONAH - the only prophet to...

I was thinking about how unique Jonah is. He's the ONLY prophet recorded in the OT to bring a message to non-Jews.

He is also the only minor prophet referred to by Jesus.

I would like to hear what others on this board have to comment on those thoughts...

-Chris

2006/2/14 22:19Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re: JONAH - the only prophet to...

I think it is interesting that the Bible said Jonah prayed after he was swallowed by a big fish but never says he prayed before. "Then Jonah prayed" I think God is going to have to put the squeeze on the church to get them to pray.

2006/2/14 22:27Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Jonah was also the only prophet major or minor I can think of whose message was wholeheartedly accepted and the masses were brought to repentance. Right? Or am I forgetting someone?

2006/2/14 22:33Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I was thinking about how unique Jonah is. He's the ONLY prophet recorded in the OT to bring a message to non-Jews.

Maybe it's a matter of how narrow you would want to structure the question. I don't know if other prophets actually spoke face to face with other nations in an evangelical sense but Daniel spoke directly to Nebuchadnezzar. "But there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets, and maketh known to the king Nebuchadnezzar what shall be in the latter days. Thy dream, and the visions of thy head upon thy bed, are these; As for thee, O king, thy thoughts came into thy mind upon thy bed, what should come to pass hereafter: and he that revealeth secrets maketh known to thee what shall come to pass. "

Also there are several Old Testament prophets who did have messages that seemingly were addressed to non-Jewish nations. I don't know if, for your purposes, you would be able to count these or not.

Jeremiah had this for Edom
"The terror you inspire and the pride of your heart have deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks, who occupy the heights of the hill. Though you build your nest as high as the eagle's, from there I will bring you down," declares the LORD."

Ezekial had this message for Tyre, "
therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I am against you, O Tyre, and I will bring many nations against you, like the sea casting up its waves...For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: From the north I am going to bring against Tyre Nebuchadnezzar[1] king of Babylon, king of kings, with horses and chariots, with horsemen and a great army. He will ravage your settlements on the mainland with the sword; he will set up siege works against you, build a ramp up to your walls and raise his shields against you. He will direct the blows of his battering rams against your walls and demolish your towers with his weapons.
"

Nahum had this for Ninevah... "All your fortresses are like fig trees with their first ripe fruit; when they are shaken, the figs fall into the mouth of the eater.There the fire will devour you; the sword will cut you down and, like grasshoppers, consume you. Multiply like grasshoppers, multiply like locusts!...Nothing can heal your wound; your injury is fatal. Everyone who hears the news about you claps his hands at your fall, for who has not felt your endless cruelty?"

MC

2006/2/14 23:15Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: JONAH - the only prophet to...

Hi tacklebox...

Quote:

I don't think that the people of Ninevah would have considered Jonah a "[i]minor prophet[/i]."

:-)

2006/2/14 23:45Profile
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Re:

Quote:

ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:
Hi tacklebox...
Quote:

I don't think that the people of Ninevah would have considered Jonah a "[i]minor prophet[/i]."

:-)

Hehehehe...good one, chris (by the way, excellent name you have there!) ;-)

2006/2/15 0:08Profile
dohzman

Re:

don't forget the book of Amos :-)

2006/2/15 0:17Profile
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Re:

Okay, the more I've studied this, the more it seems that Jonah wasn't the only prophet called to preach to a nation other than Israel or Judah.

One interesting note, though, I read in HALLEY'S BIBLE HANDBOOK was that Joppa is where Jonah went to flee from God's orders to preach to Gentiles, and it is also the same location in Acts 10 where Peter receives the vision that leads him to preach and accept the Gentiles (interesting parrallel also with Jonah THREE days in the great fish, and THREE times Peter has the vision!)

-Chris

2006/2/15 1:07Profile
Compton

Re:

That is interesting! Symmetry like that is another kind of evidence that the bible, though written by different men over centuries of time, is truly the word from God.

2006/2/15 2:00Profile
dohzman

Re:

major and minor is just a term used to describe the amount of written work left by the prophet, not thier importance or stature.

2006/2/15 7:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy