SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : What does idolatry mean for modern day people

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
jubilee

What does idolatry mean for modern day people

I am studying idolatry in it's subtle infringment on modern day lives, including my own. I am just wanting any insight that God may have given you that I haven't thought of

jubilee :-(

2006/2/13 1:05Profile
nacl

Babylon

Re: What does idolatry mean for modern day people

A comparison that I found incredibly interesting was one made by Paris Reidhead in his sermon "If Ye agree," which can be downloaded here on SI.

He related ancient idolatry to what he saw as their modern-day equivalents. 1 John 2:16 speaks of lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh, and pride of life. Reidhead compares these to Baal worship, Asheroth worship, and Moloch worship, respectively. You should really listen to that message, because he relates this truth powerfully (as is typical of brother Reidhead's messages).

This is not a deep statement, but I can say this (which I'm sure you'll hear from numerous other people): an idol is anything which takes precedence over God. Anything we put before God becomes an idol to us.

In fact, Paul informs us that covetousness is idolatry (Colossians 3:5) So when we covet something, our affections are set on that thing too much, and it becomes an idol. I have never heard anyone preach this, but Paul did, and that's good enough for me.

In short, if we put the Lord first in all that we do, we will not be counted idolaters.

Exodus 20:2-3
Matthew 6:33
Mark 12:30

Lord, make our eyes single for You! (Matthew 6:22)

2006/2/13 1:27Profile
jimp

hi, if i could just eliminate myself from this i could really go to town on this topic.... whatever you spend your money on more than your missions offering... golf,sports, cars, boats, travel, clothes, jewelry,shoes, hunting and fishing gear,houses,fine dining etc.....except for all you perfect folks.jimp :-P

2006/2/13 1:31Profile
Compton

Re: Fear

Quote:
Reidhead compares these to Baal worship, Asheroth worship, and Moloch worship, respectively.

At the outset of this topic we might consider that not all false god's woo us with promises of happiness and charm for our affections...The idols listed above also ruled by good old fashioned fear. Their basic bargain was if you didn't offer such and such sacrifice then terrible things might happen to you.

For instance Molech was a fire-god and many things were sacrificed to him by burning. Among the things offered in appeasement to the fires of Molech were young children. I do not believe parents did this out of love for Molech...they obeyed out of belief that Molech had power over them.

Today, I think fear is an under rated idol. Yet many people today base all of their priorities on what they fear most. What is sneaky about fear driven idolatry is that we may honestly feel that God has all of the love in our hearts and yet we still worship other gods...not out of love for them, but out of fear and a sense of self preservation. Perhaps not giving all our fear and fears to God, and God alone is also idolatry.

I don't doubt that many ancient Israelites were committing idolatry not because they were bedazzled and seduced into loving the popular idols...but because they felt they needed to cover their bases with the idols that were merciless and frightening to the "unwary".

MC

2006/2/13 2:34Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Asheroth and Baal are tied in with sexual sins. Moloch seems to me to be a type of abortion. Also, prosperity is tied in with both Baal and Moloch.

The worst part about these false gods was that they at times became accepted with Yahweh. Today, when idolatry is accepted by Christians it is just like when Solomon allowed temples to these gods to be built at Jerusalem where the temple of the Lord was at.

Baal means lord of high places. High places were on the top of hills. They were places that were easily seen. There are high places today. Some are of God and some are not of God.

The temple at Jerusalem was a high place that was appointed by God. Jesus said to shout it from the housetops. That is a high place of the heart. The high places of the heart today that are evil are things like praying to be seen of men. Blowing a trumpet, when giving an offering, is a high place. An outward appearance to be religious, when the heart is in sin, is a high place. Wanting the respect of men and being a mens pleaser is a high place of the heart that is evil.

To allow sexual sins in the temple of God {our bodies} is idolatry. To live a life that loves the things of this world is idolatry.

When the children of God were to go into the promised land they were to utterly defeat the gods of Canaan land. We are to do the same.

2006/2/13 3:07Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, i feel i owe you an explanation, when i was in bible college we had a missions conference wuth wayne meyers preaching. the Holy Spirit fell on the sunday morning service OFFERING and that offering lasted for hours. people went home and got golf clubs, boats,cars,furs,money set aside for family fun etc.... it was joyous... filled with laughter... God made it completely clear what idols were in those six hours.jimp

2006/2/13 4:17Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
it was joyous... filled with laughter...God made it completely clear what idols were in those six hours

That's a great testimony!

2006/2/13 4:30Profile
nacl

Babylon

Re: Fear

Quote:
Perhaps not giving all our fear and fears to God, and God alone is also idolatry.

Great point, MC.

Jeremiah 10:6-7 "Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great am thy name is great in might. [b]Who would not fear thee[/b], O King of nations, for to thee doth it appertain..."

Fear belongs to God and none other. But most of the world has no fear of Him before their eyes (Psalm 36:1). We are told repeatedly not to fear, except for when it comes to the Lord.

I agree; anything that you fear other than the King of nations is an idol for you.

2006/2/13 8:22Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

It might also be beneficial to look at what is behind idolatry. I believe Paul gives us some great insight into its roots in Romans 1...
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
(Rom 1:21-23)
It appears then that idolatry is the result of looking for God in the one place He will never be found, the corrupt passions of our hearts. When people can't find Him there then they tend not to seek anywhere else. These vain imaginations lead to the more subtle idols such as have been mentioned already or ultimately into the grossest idolatry such as Paul spoke of.

Verse 21 seems to sum it up well; all people have at least some knowledge of God, and failure to do what we know (and glorify God) leads to vain imaginations, darkened hearts and idolatry.

In Christ,

Ron

2006/2/13 10:07Profile

MC said

Quote:
What is [b]sneaky[/b] about [u]fear driven idolatry[/u] is that we may [b]honestly feel that God has all of the love in our hearts and yet[/b] we still worship other gods...[b]not out of love for them, but out of fear[/b] [u]and a sense of [b]self preservation[/b][/u]. Perhaps [u][b]not[/b][/u] giving [b]all[/b] [u]our fear and fears to God[/u], [b]and God alone[/b] [u]is also [b]idolatry[/b][/u].

[b]Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same[/b];

that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

For verily he took not on the nature of angels; [u]but he took on the seed of Abraham[/u].

Wherefore in all things it behoved [i][became][/i] him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

For in that he himself hath [u]suffered being tempted[/u], he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Hebrews 2: 14 - 18 (KJV)

Bear in mind that Abraham is the crossover point between Gentile and Jew, on which Paul hangs faith (Heb 11:6)

Is the writer to the Hebrews saying Jesus was tempted to fear?

Perhaps there is also a key here, to John's writings in his first epistle, about 'love' and 'belief'.

So, we please God by believing Him.

We love Him because He first loved us.

His perfect love casts out our fear..... 8-)

EDIT: I take 'sins of THE PEOPLE' to mean the sins of [b]ALL PEOPLE[/b] - all the peoples of the world.

2006/2/13 10:56

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy