SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What does it mean to be a Christian?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
lyndon

Manitoba, Canada

What does it mean to be a Christian?

Hi

I'm just looking for peoples personal thoughts on this subject, I do not want to hear Leonard Ravenhill or Calvin's thoughts, but your own personal thoughts according to scripture. What does it mean to be a Christian? How do we know we are Christians?

The reason I am asking this is I've been reading some of the posts, and I am begining to wonder what constitutes being a Christian. A certain behavior or a certain belief, a set of '4 spiritual laws' and praying the 'sinners prayer'?

A Work in Progress
Lyndon

2003/12/13 22:09Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: What does it mean to be a Christian?

To be a Christian:
To have been made spiritually alive, not mentally attached, spiritually alive to the eternal purposes of Heaven.
L. W.

2003/12/14 4:04Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

As the Bible only seems to use the word 'Christian' in the sense of an accusation it inevitably poses the old question If you were brought to trial for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you?

2003/12/14 6:47Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

If you were brought to trial for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you?

Provoking indeed, isn't it?!

2003/12/14 7:06Profile
JPmissionary

Wake Forest, NC

Re:

I believe to be a Christian it would mean to put on Christ, become more Christ like, all which we learn how to do from the Bible and Christ that dwells in us.

2003/12/15 3:49Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Hi Lyndon
One of the difficulties in defining 'Christian' is that 'Christian' is not the word generally used in scripture to define 'Christian. If you see what I mean.

The more usual words are 'believer' and 'saint', with 'believer' being a participle which implies process rather than crisis. In other words the Bible 'describes' Christians by their characteristics. 'Christian'ity is therefore is not primarily a 'belief system' nor a 'moral code' (although it has both). It is a relationship of total dependence on another which is manifested by the life of the other being seen with increasing clarity. Its focus is life rather than birth.

Just to be even more pedantic. 'Christian' is a noun, so I will not use it as an adjective. So I never think in terms of 'Christian politicians', 'Christian business men' etc. This affects quite a bit of my thinking e.g. I do believe you can have a Jewish Christian, but not a Christian Jew.

2003/12/15 4:37Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Re:

Quote:
'Christian' is a noun, so I will not use it as an adjective

Quite true, I might also say that it is a noun that needs no adjective to accompany it. (or should need none anyway). :-D

As Watchman Nee relates:

Quote:
I met a certain believer once on a train who asked me what kind of Christian I was. I replied that I was just a Christian. He said, "There is no such Christian in the world. Saying that you are a Christian means nothing; you have to say what kind of Christian you are in order for it to be meaningful." I replied, "I am simply a man who is a Christian. Do you say that for a man to be a Christian means nothing? What kind of Christian would you say is meaningful? As for me, I can only be a Christian—nothing more." That day we had a very good talk together.

2003/12/15 5:32Profile
lwpray

Sweden

A Christian:
A space-time display of the work of the Cross for the sake of demonstrating the Holiness of God.
L. W.

2003/12/15 5:37Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
but your own personal thoughts according to scripture. What does it mean to be a Christian? How do we know we are Christians?

I feel that by reading the 'Gospel of John' you can come to a knoweldge of the truth and become a Christian:

[b]John 20:31 (niv)[/b] - But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is hte Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

And in the book of '1 John' the message is written that you may become and Christian and also know that you are a Christian.

[b]1 John 5:13 (niv)[/b] - I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

2003/12/15 10:45Profile
lwpray

Sweden

A Christian:
Walking in light and fellowship with God
far beyond doctrinal acknowledgment.
L. W.

2003/12/15 11:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy