Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Lord's Supper

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Malachi

UK

Re:

I am reminded that the two people on the road to Emmaeus did not recognise the risen Jesus until they sat and relaxed for a meal. When Jesus took the bread, said the blessing, and broke it, they at once saw that Jesus was with them. I know that he is always present, but there is something special about the action of breaking bread together, or even eating as a family or fellowship that brings his presence to the front of my thoughts.

Dave

2003/12/30 6:12Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
but there is something special about the action of breaking bread together, or even eating as a family or fellowship that brings his presence to the front of my thoughts.

Hmm thats an intresting observation. I also do believe there is a more acute presence of the Lord when we meet together in remembrance of Him.

But on the point about the Lord's supper being just normal meals I kinda disagree:

[b]1 Corinthians 11:34 (niv)[/b] - If anyone is hungry he should eat at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgement.

It appears from this scripture to show that there are seperate meals you eat to satisfy your hunger but when you meet in fellowship the Lords supper is purely a spiritual practise.

2003/12/30 12:44Profile
Malachi

UK

Re:

Greg
I agree that there are 'ordinary meals', but do not forget that Jesus instituted the remembrance during a passover celebration. This was a full meal, with lots of wine, but it was also a rather special event.

In I Cor 11, Paul was, I believe, arguing that some people were disrespectful of the agape meal, by not bringing much themselves, and then scoffing all the good stuff instead of sharing.

On a purely personal basis - my wife got one of those bread making machines for Christmas, and the smell of new baked bread reminds me of all the good things that God has provided. Remembrance by association?

2003/12/31 7:28Profile
kristydiane

Re: Communion

Whether the Lord's Supper is practiced weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annually, it's a tradition of man. I see much argument against weekly and daily communion because it increases the chances of it becoming a ritualized practice with no meaning. Holding communion according to any other schedule is just as fabricated, but a little more protestant.

The idea is to keep the feast to remember the sacrafice that Christ made. Communion should always be an opportunity to confess your sins, seek forgiveness, and enter back into restored relationship with the One who died for your sins. We do this in remembrance that Christ died for us and for our sins. . .

I attend two churches. One celebrates communion every time the body comes together for worship, fellowship, and edification. The other celebrates it quarterly. One uses a common chalice. The other uses little individual cups. One is very solemn, the other is rather free and less dignified. Both are fine with me though I prefer the former to the latter.

On another note, to those who sop, read the account of the last supper where the first use of intincture took place. =0)

Kristy

2003/12/31 13:11Profile

Re:

Quote:
The idea is to keep the feast to remember the sacrafice that Christ made. Communion should always be an opportunity to confess your sins, seek forgiveness, and enter back into restored relationship with the One who died for your sins.

I agree...communion, however practiced, should be holy in this manner.

2004/1/3 2:57
Meg

Augusta Ga USA

Re:

What lovely and different ways to worship through the breaking of bread.

I went to a Methodist church yesterday, and I really liked the Communion part there. We took turns approaching the altar, kneeling in a half circle on the benches, while the Pastor and an assistant broke pieces from a single loaf and placed a piece in each of our hands. Then a young girl came around with grape juice in tiny cups.

"Do this in remembrance of Me" is one of the most sacred ideas I've ever heard/done.

As for the unsaved taking Communion, Christ said He came to save the sinners, not the righteous (a little something He reminded me of when I was praying about a sinnful friend). I was a non-Christian until recently. I thank The Lord daily for not giving up on me. He has told me not to give up on my unsaved friends, and not to push them either. I try to be gentle with them as Christ has been gentle with me, and to demonstrate why Christianity is a good thing to be a part of...

Meg

2004/1/5 19:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy