SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Gift of Discernment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
jimp

Re:

hi, "these kind come out only by prayer and fasting" this is the gift of discernings of spirits.jimp

2006/2/10 1:14Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

jimp wrote:
hi, "these kind come out only by prayer and fasting" this is the gift of discernings of spirits.jimp

I'm not sure I follow... Can you explain? :-?

2006/2/10 9:04Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, this is the example of Jesus knowing the type of demonic spirits that the apostles were facing and how to best handle the situation. another example is in acts 16 when a spirit of divination was cast out of a woman. we probably would have put her on the board of directors.( how did we get to know what kind of spirit this was)jimp

2006/2/10 9:32Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

jimp's

Quote:
hi, this is the example of Jesus knowing the type of demonic spirits that the apostles were facing and how to best handle the situation. another example is in acts 16 when a spirit of divination was cast out of a woman. we probably would have put her on the board of directors.( how did we get to know what kind of spirit this was)jimp

I do think these a true examples of the 'discerning of spirits'. I have mentioned before how instructive the Philippi event should be to us. This woman had apparently been making her pronouncements for 'many days' (Acts 16:18). We have no way of knowing exactly how many days this was but the beginning of Acts refers to a period of 'not many days' (Acts 1:5). This exact opposite of the Acts 16:18 we know to have been 10 days! So if 'not many days' is 10 days, how many days is 'many days'. (if you follow my meaning :-( )

For this whole period of time Paul appears to have been in 'ignorance' of the true nature of the event. When the 'discerning of spirits' was given he immediately acted. This makes it clear that we are not talking about a generally distributed 'gift of discernment' but something quite different.

2006/2/10 10:05Profile

Re:

I think you definately have something there Ron.Im sure Paul was troubled for a few days because of this woman.Im sure his spirit man was troubled even though he probably wasn't sure exactly what to do about it.I wonder if He prayed and asked God or if God just gave him a word about her.

Acts 16:18 And this she did many days.But Paul BEING GRIEVED,turned and said TO THE SPIRIT ,I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.And he came out the same hour.

I noticed to that the spirit did not come out right away,it took at most an hour.Try that in church!!!!

2006/2/10 11:39
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Rebecca5's

Quote:
I noticed to that the spirit did not come out right away,it took at most an hour.Try that in church!!!!

mmm? the English language can be confusing at times. You may have noticed that there are no 'minutes' in the KJV? I found this on the webThe Babylonians (about 300-100 B.C.E.) did their astronomical calculations in the sexagesimal (base-60) system. This was extremely convenient for simplifying division, since 60 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 10. The first fractional sexagesimal place we now call a minute, the second place, a second. The Bible divides time up into days and hours (or even half an hour - Rev 8:1) This way of using the word 'hour' actually means 'at that time'. as in Matt 10:19; 26:55; Luke 7:21; 12:12; 20:19; 24:33; John 4:53; Acts 16:18,33; 22:13; Rev 11:13

The NIV has She kept this up for many days. Finally Paul became so troubled that he turned around and said to the spirit, "In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of her!" [b]At that moment[/b] the spirit left her. Acts 16:18 NIV

I have been trying to find out when we first began to use 'minutes' but so far unsuccessfully.

2006/2/10 11:56Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

[url=http://africanhistory.about.com/library/weekly/aa033101a.htm?terms=hours+minutes+history]Ancient Egypt: The Father Of Time [/url]

I haven't read the whole article yet but the first paragraph sounds promising...

The way in which we divide the day into hours and minutes, as well as the structure and length of the yearly calendar, owes much to pioneering developments in ancient Egypt.

EDIT: I read it and here is the conclusion.

The division of time was further refined by another Alexandrian based philosopher, Claudius Ptolemeus, who divided the equinoctial hour into 60 minutes, inspired by the scale of measurement used in ancient Babylon.

2006/2/10 12:50Profile
jimp

Re:

hi,danny ost was a great missionary to mexico(12 churches with thousands in each church were started by him,bible collegeetc... he was told of a girl who was tied to a post because she was a demoniac of great proportions. she ate,slept and left waste in this fenced in pen.she howled and screamed and bit like a dog. he and his wife prayed for her and then brought her to his home where they ministered to her for a year before she was truly free. she attended his bible college and later married a preacher boy who ended up pastoring one of the 3000 member churches. i have been with danny in services when he would pray for a man who was the victom of witchcraft for well over an hour. the man had waled for two days to get to that service. we all judge everything only by our window of experience. jimp

2006/2/10 14:15Profile

Re:

You guys DO know that their are biblical examples of discernment right?

I can think of about 2-3 in my head, but they are in the OT. And I know there is a couple in NT.

If someone else would like to search the scirptures for me, that would be great. :-P I don't have much time. But, I will try to find them all soon..

2006/2/10 14:26
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

First of all, sometimes I think we make things WAY too complicated.

I tend to agree with "YeshuaIsMyGd"

It's like ....I just know something is not quite right with a certain individual or something like that.

And by the way...Each time I have felt that "feeling" (discernment) about someone, it has proven to be 100% accurate.

I don't brag on it...I don't share it with anyone...other than maybe my wife..and sometimes not even her...

I just take it for what it is...the Holy Spirit...giving me discernment in a particular situation.

To me, it's the Holy Spirit, warning me, keeping me safe, in check, out of harm...teaching me...showing me wisdom..etc.

That's what I describe as the gift of discernment.

I could be wrong of course.
:-D

2006/2/10 15:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy