SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Gift of Discernment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

The Gift of Discernment

Does anyone understand the gift of discernment or know anyone who has this gift? One of my pastors has the gift of discernment.His father also had the gift of discernment.His father could not read at all as far as I know and his wife usually read the bible to him.His father totally had to rely on the holy spirit and God gave him this gift of discernment.Now his son, my pastor, has this gift.He can discern when there is evil present or if something is of God.He will get a word about someone in the service.He will for instance get a word about someone who needs to forgive someone and apologize to them and even tell them who the person is like their daughter or a son that they need to make things right with.It sure puts the fear of God in you in the service but in a good way.There is not alot of hypocrisy in this church or hidden agendas.I guess we could debate till the cows come home about "what is sin" and "must we sin" but when the power of God is present nothing is hidden that shall not be made known.
Whenever I go to this church I always have to pray "God are my hands clean? Is my heart pure?" I know alot of people will say we shouldn't have to be afraid when we go in a meeting but this is a good kind of fear.It is quite intimidating to go but I really do want to know if there is sin in my life and it's very humbling but we need to be humble and realize that we are just dust.

2006/2/8 14:12
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: The Gift of Discernment

From what I understand (and have been taught), the gift of discernment would allow one to see the intents /motives of someone.

2006/2/8 14:25Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: The Gift of Discernment

Quote:
Whenever I go to this church I always have to pray "God are my hands clean? Is my heart pure?" I know alot of people will say we shouldn't have to be afraid when we go in a meeting but this is a good kind of fear.

Dear sister, questions to ask yourself are, "am I responding in faith and love, or in fear?" "Am I obeying Christ in peace or am I driven by condemnation?"

If you feel your life to be one of pressure, fear, proving your relationship or obedience from condemnation, I urge you to calmly consider the spirit that you listen to. Does it provide assurance and comfort when it corrects you? Does it provide a way of escape when conviction comes? Are the accusations clear and specific? Do they lead to openness with others, or do they make you want to hide in fear? You may be doing the right things, but are you being led, or driven?

In Christ,

Ron

2006/2/8 14:43Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Discernment or Suspicion...

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
From what I understand (and have been taught), the gift of discernment would allow one to see the intents /motives of someone.

I'm not really certain what the gift of discernment is. I've looked into it several times, and I have always confused the gift of discernment with other gifts. Unfortunately, there seems to be more of a "gift of suspicion" amongst many believers lately. They "get a hunch" about something, and then confuse that with "discernment." I have seen many people hurt by such false discernment.

I suppose that we should be [i]slow[/i] to believe the worst in others -- unless we are willing to truly blame such "discernment" on the Holy Spirit. In the past, I have been guilty of truly believing that the Lord had given me discernment about someone or something, and then later find out that I was completely wrong. I suppose we have all been guilty of blaming God for "telling us" something that we just either "figured out" ourselves, or was actually an opinion. However, there are those times where I somehow [u]knew[/u] something that [i]went against[/i] by cognitive perception in a matter -- and I lately found out that this understanding was completely correct. Is that discernment? I'm not really sure. But this is certainly a good topic for discussion!

:-)

2006/2/8 14:43Profile

Re:

I think your right, that he is able to see the motives and intents.There are also people in that meeting that will get a word about someone.Sometimes it's a word of encouragement and sometimes it is to reveal an area of sin in a persons life.One woman I know got so uncomfortable because this person kept getting words about her that she moved to another seat.You really feel naked whenever you walk in this meeting and you can feel the presence of God before you walk in the building.I can feel the fear of God on me before I ever get in the parking lot.
I think he also has the discernment of spirits because sometimes the Lord will allow him to actually see the spirit that is affecting the person and he will pray over you until it leaves.
This is the first meeting that I ever experienced the power of God this way.This church has taught me alot on what it means to be holy.Whenever there is backbiting in the church he will get a word.This is not the kind of church you would go to if you are not serious with God that's for sure!

2006/2/8 14:53

Re:

This pastor is really sensitive about being wrong about someone.He admitted that he had been wrong about someone before.It takes alot to get him to address anything anymore in the church unless he knows for sure it's God because he doesn't want to be wrong again.He is a VERY non-judgemental person.

2006/2/8 15:00
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I've heard this story that relates to this gift.

Once in a meeting a woman stood up and proclaimed, "God has sent me here to minister and I will be ministering for a few days. We will need to take up an offering." Then after a few moments of silence another old women stood up and said something to this effect, " You are filled with the devil. You are a prostitute and are only here for money." Then the proclaiming woman went fleeing from the building in fear….

2006/2/8 15:07Profile

Re:

IntheLight,

This is why I want to understand this gift because it is SO intimidating sometimes but it's not the fault of the preacher.
People in the meeting will joke around sometimes about the pastor "reading their mail".People really do search themselves before they come to the meeting which is why the power of God is so strong.

2006/2/8 15:11
jimp

Re:

hi, i thought the gift was the decernings of spirits. jimp

2006/2/8 15:11Profile

Re:

Jimp,
We are talking about discerning of spirits.

2006/2/8 15:28

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy