SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Revival @ Asbury?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Billy7

Revival @ Asbury?

Looks like some interesting things may be happening at Asbury College--

http://www.asbury.edu/press/chapelcontinues06

Chapel continues in Hughes

WILMORE, KY—Monday morning the student body gathered for Chapel at 10 a.m. and the student-led chapel continues. Hundreds of students, faculty and staff, and even members of the surrounding community and Asbury Theological Seminary joined the praise, worship and prayer.

Students are committing their lives to Christ for the first time and scores of others are rededicating themselves to the Lord. Jesus is at the center of it all.

Wilmore freshman Michael Spann spent a total of 11 hours in Hughes Auditorium, praying and worshiping. Spann said that he and several other students have been meeting independently since early last term to pray for the college and for the Holy Spirit to move on the campus.

Asbury House of Prayer started in the original Asbury building on campus where generations of Asbury students have waited on God. Students have gathered and signed up to pray for the college independently. Currently, students have committed to more than 40 hours of prayer each week interceding for the college community

“My brother Travis [Spann, a senior] felt strongly that something great was going to happen and yesterday God’s will just broke out. People were just yearning for God. I can’t even describe it.” Michael Spann said. “I didn’t want to leave until I felt the Lord was in me the way He needed to be.”

College President Dr. Paul Rader and his wife, Dr. Kay Rader, stayed in Hughes until after midnight. When they left, Dr. Rader said hundreds of students were still praying and praising.

“Following the morning chapel the altar was crowded with students seeking the Lord—two and three deep, with people praying in groups around the auditorium,” he described. “Throughout the day there has been a beautiful awareness of the Holiness of God. Many students took off their shoes with a sense of standing on Holy ground. God is answering the passionate and persistent prayers of committed students who have been fasting and praying for weeks for this kind of spiritual breakthrough. We are all rejoicing in it.”

Stu Smith, associate dean for campus ministries and campus chaplain, said that news of the chapel service spread throughout the surrounding areas, high schools and other local colleges. Students called friends and relatives throughout the world to have them pray for Asbury College.

“People were praying all over the world as God was moving here,” Smith said.

Spann said he even heard that people off the streets of Wilmore just heard the music and were drawn to Hughes. “People want to be transformed and that’s what attracted them to Hughes.”

The music didn’t stop. Smith said that when one group of students would tire from leading the worship another would move into their place. Nothing was coerced or planned.

Fitch’s IGA in Wilmore and others in the community sent food and water for the students who couldn’t leave.

Atlanta sophomore Hannah Helfen who spent several hours in Hughes yesterday said she didn’t want to leave either. She says that God spoke to her in a different way. Typically not very outspoken, God told her that it was OK to be open about her faith and tell other people about Him.

Sophomore Ben Greenhoe from Ada, Mich., spent most of the day in Hughes recording the service. He said, “When God moves, you have to respond. There’s nothing else you can do when you meet your Creator face to face like we did yesterday. There’s nothing else that could bring that many people together from so many different backgrounds. And the fact that it is still going on now speaks volumes.”

Lisa Harper, director of communications and Transforming (class of 2007) advisor said,
“It was incredible to be in the midst of it all, praying with the students at the altar and witnessing the joy and sweet peace. If that’s not what we’re about here then I don’t know what we’re about.”

2006/2/7 20:32Profile
Willo

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Revival @ Asbury?

Wasnt there a revival there in 1970?

2006/2/7 23:27Profile
Willo

Re:

http://www.believersweb.org/view.cfm?ID=1028

Thats an account of the last one.

Anyone near Asbury verify what is happening?

2006/2/7 23:33Profile

Re:

Sounds wonderful. I hope it's real. Sounds wonderful.

2006/2/7 23:37
Willo

Re:

If this is real, we need to pray it spreads.

Something I found interesting was that in the article that put God at the centre!

Saying there was an awareness of the holiness of God.

2006/2/8 0:12Profile
Willo

Re:

http://www.asbury.edu/press/chapeldaytwo06

Chapel continues today

WILMORE, KY—(Feb. 8, 2005) Praise, worship and release continue as students are still gathered around the altar in Hughes Auditorium where they have been since Monday. After today’s powerful chapel celebrating the work of the Holy Spirit on the Asbury College campus, God’s work carries on.

President Paul A. Rader led the chapel service this morning as students, for the last three days, have converged on Hughes Auditorium for prayer and intercession for the campus and worldwide community.

“God continues to move across the campus,” said Dr. Paul A. Rader. “We have had students in Hughes Auditorium continuously since Monday at 10 a.m. when God came in such power and blessing during our Student Chapel. Last night at midnight there were several hundred in Hughes. Some stayed until 4 a.m. We met for a Prayer and Praise Chapel this morning with an awesome sense of expectation. God did not disappoint us. From the first praise chorus students began coming to the long altar at the front of the auditorium. Soon the altar was crowded with students again. There was incredible freedom in the Spirit as we sang and prayed and shared testimonies of God’s gracious work in the hearts of students.

“It has been wholly the work of the Spirit, who moved numbers of our students to passionate and persistent prayer in small groups over the past several months.

“There has been a wonderful sense of the Spirit’s ordering. We have been spared excesses and unhelpful sharing. Students have spoken with such wisdom and spiritual maturity. Scriptures so well chosen and so powerfully used of the Lord.

“We do have this wonderful sense of the constant presence of God on this campus — and He is palpably and preciously present to us today.”

Junior Jonathan Grant of Mishawaka, Ind., stayed in the auditorium until 3 a.m. Wednesday and returned again at 7 a.m. A late night or an all-nighter schedule typically witnessed during finals week, is being used to praise and worship God.

“People kept saying, ‘It doesn’t matter if this ends in five minutes, what matters is what we do when we leave here—how this changes us.’ God has become real to me and I have a responsibility and a gift to take and share with the world.”

Stacy Stevens Hall, a senior from Knoxville, Tenn., talked about the response from the local and nationwide community.

“We are excited. It’s amazing that God is using this time to call others to pray for Asbury College around the world. The news is spreading quickly and people want to join in the celebration.”

Junior Emily Roberts from Sunapee, New Hampshire described her experience in Chapel Wednesday as a romance — having loved God all her life and finally realizing that God loves her in return.

She illustrates her experience as being like when Lucy meets Aslan in “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” by C.S. Lewis.

“Then her face lit up till, for a moment (but of course she didn’t know it), she looked almost as beautiful as that other Lucy in the picture and she ran forward with a little cry of delight and with her arms stretched out. For what stood in the doorway was Aslan himself, The Lion, the highest of all High Kings. And he was solid and real and warm and he let her kiss him and bury herself in his shining mane. And from the low, earthquake-like sound that came from inside him, Lucy even dared to think that he was purring (169).”

Thank you for your interest and your prayers. To God be the glory and great is His faithfulness.

2006/2/9 17:51Profile
Willo

Re:

Re: Reports of Revival at Asbury College
Reply #3 - Today at 1:18pm http://www.asbury.edu/press/godunscripted06

God Unscripted

WILMORE, KY—In Chapel services Friday, February 10, 2006, after the four days of prayer, praise and worship, junior Matt Olsen reminded everyone to take what they learned, discovered and experienced this week and share it.

He said, “This can’t be confined to four walls. Take this back to your home churches this weekend. God is so much bigger than this.”

Rev. Richard Gaines from the Consolidated Baptist Church in Lexington was the guest speaker this morning. He said, “We must be a people of prayer and this is a direct result of somebody spending time on bended knees. God is up to something. God is moving. God is doing great things.”

Arthur Sweeney, of Ireland, summed up the week, saying, “It’s an experience that’s indescribable. This entire week was freedom in Christ…like God unscripted. God just came in and took over.”

There are dozens of stories of renewed spirits, relinquished hearts and changed lives.

One such story revolves around two brothers, who are now two brothers in Christ. Junior Andrew Sullivan phoned home to Pennsylvania Tuesday evening to tell his family about the happenings at Asbury College, asking his older brother Joe, 22, to join him.

Joe said, “Up until he called, I had been feeling empty…like a complete zombie, dead. I knew I needed change.” Joe agreed to make the trip to the College and found what he had been seeking after. Thursday evening, he asked God into his life and into his heart.

“I have felt more love and more alive than I have in a while…like a new person.”

Andrew said, “Everyone has been praying for him. It’s just been incredible.”

The Asbury College community would like to thank everyone for their prayers and encouragement. God is on the move.

Please be in prayer for our students helping to broadcast the Olympics in Torino, Italy.

###

2006/2/10 23:05Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

Willo,

I called the college yesterday to ask about this apparent revival. The lady I spoke with new exactly what I was asking about. She said it is true. And the whole knows about it.

2006/2/11 11:01Profile
Nellie

Re:

I love the part about the Holiness of God.
We all need to seek Him more.
Nellie

2006/2/11 11:16Profile
earnestlycontend

Flinstone, GA

Re: Revival @ Asbury?

I have a friend that is a doctoral student there. He is a Bulgarian preacher. I just emailed him to ask him about the revival. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Kendal

2006/2/11 12:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy