SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sin. - 'A Caution' to stir up watch against sin

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Sin. - 'A Caution' to stir up watch against sin

Sin will at first, just like a beggar crave
One penny or one halfpenny to have;
But if you grant its first suit, 'twill aspire
From pence to pounds, and still will mount up higher,
To the whole soul; but if it makes its moan,
Then say, Here is not for you; get you gone!
For if you give it entrance at the door,
It will come in and may go out no more.

Sin, rather than 'twill out of action be,
Will pray to stay, though in a short space, with thee:
One night, one hour, one moment, will it cry,
Embrace me in thy bosom, or I die.
Time to repent (saith it) I will allow,
And help if to repent thou know'st not how.
But if you give it entrance at the door,
It will come in, and may go out no more.
-John Bunyan

[b]1 Peter 2:11 (niv)[/b] - Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.

[b]Proverbs 23:31,32 (niv)[/b] - Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly! In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.

What a picture of 'sin' that which seems pleasing to the eyes at first but really causes damage to your soul.

2003/12/13 0:36Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Sin. - 'A Caution' to stir up watch against sin

If you are redeemed, you are not your own-not the world's - not satan's. Think of this when you are tempted to sin.
-Robert Murray McCheyne

[b]2 Timothy 2:22 (niv)[/b] - Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, live and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure he/art.

[b]Ephesians 5:11 (niv)[/b] - Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

2003/12/13 0:58Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Sin in a wicked man is like poison in a serpent; it is in its natural place.
-Thomas Brooks

Sin is a monstrous foul thing, defiling everything it toucheth, so that our holy God can, upon no condition, join with it.
-David Lindsay

What makes me wonder sometimes is why are we so prone to sinning? Why does it seem even more enticing then doing good? I really think that we have not experienced the greatness of the joy of obedience.

Some people have to experience the awfulness of sin before they realize there must be more, but who has experienced the awesomeness of obedience and never turned there head again to sin's enticing calls?

2004/1/15 3:49Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I sob and lament for that I cannot be quit and rid of sin. I desire to live a more perfect life.
-John Knox

The great devil, in these our later days, is let loose. Antichrist rageth, and seeketh our confustion. The wicked, glistering world marvellously deceiveth and bewitcheth. The flesh reigneth, and beareth sway. The spirit is faint; sin overfloweth; Christ is coming in the clouds to call us to judgement. therefore, be ye sober, watch and pray!
-Archbishop Sandys

Search the Scripture and see what is sin, and what is not sin in every action; this done, carry in thy heart a constant and resolute purpose not to sin in anything.
-William Perkins

2004/1/15 19:09Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

This is one I will expect to see many reply's to.

Quote:
What makes me wonder sometimes is why are we so prone to sinning? Why does it seem even more enticing then doing good?

"Seems" there's the catch, right there.
Quote:

I really think that we have not experienced the greatness of the joy of obedience.

I think you are right.
Quote:

Some people have to experience the awfulness of sin before they realize there must be more, but who has experienced the awesomeness of obedience and never turned there head again to sin's enticing calls?

Then you think of David, Noah...
Good question, brother

2004/1/15 19:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy