SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Must we sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
Quickend

Must we sin?

We have all sined, but must we continue to sin? From everything I read, the gospel speaks of empowerment. I can do all things... we are more than conquerors... greater is he that is in thee...we are told to mortify (kill) the flesh through the spirit.

If we have killed the flesh, and we have been given power to triump over the enemy, why must we continue to sin?

2006/1/31 0:37Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re: Must we sin?

Because although we are Justified, we are not yet Sanctified, that is a long slow process, some of which involves us falling and getting up again.
Read Romans 6, 7 and 8. specifically 7:17-18, it takes a while to understand but the Holy Spirit will help.
Each day we must kill the flesh cos he keeps getting up again (take up your cross DAILY. LUKE 9:23).

2006/1/31 0:46Profile
Quickend

Re:

To bro, allhavesinned,

First, let me say that I appreciate your response as many of our brothers seem unwilling to discuss such fundementals. The problem I have is that I have allways seen the Romans Chapters as Pauls argument for our need to allow christ to rule in our lives so that the "I" part of our sin nature becomes subjugated to his spirit.

Is not the purpose of being made free from sin so that the sin nature that we were born into no longer dictates our actions?

arghhh! Pray for me. I get so frustrated with my short comings.

2006/1/31 2:32Profile

Re:

It seems many Christians read chapter 7 of Romans and stay there, but Paul did not. Paul went on to Romans chapter 8. I say read Romans 6,7, and 8 until the breakthrough happens.

Let me give you hope brother and say, no you do not have to sin! There is not a single sin in which you cannot find freedom from in Jesus Christ!

2006/1/31 2:47
Quickend

Re:

Bro. Lazurus,

May God continue to use you to his Glory. What an encouragement your words are. I could never reconcile the scripture" I can do all things through christ who strengthens me" with the concept that this does not apply to my sin nature.

Requesting the S.I members prayers and praying for you all.

2006/1/31 3:03Profile
jimbob

Re:

One question for those out there that claim a sinless life is theoretically possible, who among you can actually claim they have stopped sinning? I have never met ANYONE yet that can claim that, yet the holiness folks claim it's possible.

My church says this confession every Sunday," Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word,and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved You with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent."

I would like the followers of Wesley and Finney to step up to the plate and testify that they do not need to make the above confession. Any takers to my challenge?

2006/1/31 5:18Profile
tinluke

New England USA

Re:

Quickened,

I understand and relate to your frustration. I keep waiting for the day that I no longer have to deal with sin and this rotten flesh that weighs me down. What a burden... to have a heart that desires NOTHING more than to live for CHRIST, but to live with the stinking flesh that at any opportunity will rise up and take the vicotry for the sake of death and hell.

There is not a time on this side of eternity that we will NOT sin, but SIN DOES NOT HAVE THE VICTORY IN CHRIST!!! It does not own us as it once did!!! Yes we sin, but we don't stay there. We were once slaves to sin, but now we are bondservants to CHRIST. The slave does not make a choice to be a salve, but a bondservant make the choice to give his life freely.

The good news is that the spirit man CAN NOT sin!! There is a part of you that will NEVER sin. That is the HOLY SPIRIT that God has deposited within you!! The bad new is, the flesh will ALWAYS sin, if given the opportunity.

Dying to self and living for Chirst is DAILY. It requries us to call upon Him day to day and moment to moment. We need to feed our spirit and starve the flesh. What ever we feed more will become stronger in us. We can have a strong spirit and dying flesh. Or fat flesh and a weak spirit. Which one will we feed today??

2006/1/31 9:52Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Here is a thread I started not to long ago.
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9180&forum=36&9]What is Christian Perfection?[/url]

Quote:
Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word,and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved You with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent.

So your church repents of the same thing every week? How can one say that have repented, when they have not stopped doing it? Repentance is not saying you are sorry. Repentance is a change of mind that results in a change of action.

2006/1/31 10:08Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
I would like the followers of Wesley and Finney to step up to the plate and testify that they do not need to make the above confession. Any takers to my challenge?

I would not make that confession (every week) because I wouldn't want to lie and say I repent when I don't stop doing it.

2006/1/31 10:11Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

They say this confession in the Anglican church, is it safe to assume you are Anglican, Jimbob? They might say it in other denominations, I'm just not aware of it.

Just wanted to second what Jesse said. Amen. It doesn't end at Romans 7, but "thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ" we move on into Romans 8.

2006/1/31 11:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy