SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : An Introduction into the Simple Gospel

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

An Introduction into the Simple Gospel

I remember my Pastor had a vision many years ago. He saw himself outside an old theatre and seen hundreds of people flowing into this theatre and buses from round about going into this theatre and the theatre was turned into a church and he asked the LORD, "What shall I preach to this people", and the LORD spoke back with, "Just preach the simple gospel". The word 'simple' was highlighted.

I mentioned my Pastors vision because this is something that we desperatly lack in. I am just starting to understand just a wee bit of this simple gospel. The simple gospel is so simple that we confuse it by adding our own legalistic do's and don't's to the believer. Before they are even in the church, we load them down with religious junk.

The beginning to the simple gospel is to "Preach Christ".

What we say instead is, "Would you like to meet Jesus in heaven", "Would you like to go to heaven", "Your going to hell, accept Jesus today". "It's either heaven or hell, take your pick". There are plays about hell, the mark of the beast, 666, etc. and these people, "accept christ" out of fear of some Amityville Horror scene. They have no idea what Jesus did on the cross. Preaching Christ is none of these, if you want proof read Peters first sermon on the day of Pentecost.

All the above is stupid, and I have been guilty more ways then one.

The simple gospel is none of these, it is connected to the cross, it's connection is to the gospel of reconcilation, it's connected to the resurrection. The Good News is that we who were an obscurity have now come nigh unto God our Father thru the blood of Jesus Christ. The good news is that you don't have to die without knowing your heavenly Father thru Jesus Christ our LORD. The whole purpose of the simple gospel is to bring us back into union with our heavenly Father, thru the death, buriel and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

As I said before, I have only seen just wee bit of this simple gospel. I hope to see more of it, as it is the power of God unto our salvation. Amen.

2006/1/27 19:27
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re: An Introduction into the Simple Gospel

Here is simple, live the gospel to God, and other's ,be the light that,God called you to be. no matter how bright.a candle will always give light!to sum it up!This is the frist great commandment (Thou shalt Love The Lord thy God with all thy heart,and with all thy soul,and with all thy mind.and the second is like onto it,(Thou shalt Love thy neighbour as Thyself. on these two commandments hang all the law and the prohets. :-)

2006/1/27 23:34Profile
roadsign

Re: The "simple" vs the "different" gospel

Quote:
I have only seen just wee bit of this simple gospel. I hope to see more of it, as it is the power of God unto our salvation. Amen.

I say Amen too, Loveslave. However I quickly add that "simple" doesn't mean simplisic, or quick fix formula, or merely a "ticket" to heaven (as you pointed out).

It took me years to discover this simple gospel because there was so much of the "different" gospel in me that I had to shed. What takes years to accumulate doesn't necessariy shed in a moment. And it is IMPOSSIBLE even to beging the journey without divine enlightenment.

Perhaps what you observe is partly that "different" gospel clutter. (see Galatians) We always need to remember that burning away that clutter is a long and messy process - of discovering who we really are without our layers and layers of "fig leaves" - that is, all that keeps us from humbly falling seeing OURSELVES, and then fall on our faces before our merciful God.

So, there-in lies the need for a lot of grace - with ourselves and others. In the meantime, it is a lot more fun to focus on the sins of everybody else. Ask me how I know. (as they say, it takes one to know one)
Quote:
Here is simple, live the gospel to God,

So true, I think that the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous understood and lived this principle:

the need for moral inventory
confession of personality defects
restitution to those harmed
helpfulness to others
the necessity of belief in and dependence on God.

Diane

2006/1/28 7:58Profile

Re:

Diane Said:

Quote:
It took me years to discover this simple gospel because there was so much of the "different" gospel in me that I had to shed. What takes years to accumulate doesn't necessariy shed in a moment.

Amen Sister, been there, still in progress of "done that".

I agree simple is not meaning simplistic, if it was a quick fix formulae I received the wrong mix. :-P The formulae that I received was laden with "take up your cross and follow me" which I thought was easy when I was younger, now as I am getting older I am being chastened towards that cross. I know that one day soon I will embrace that cross because there is nothing else to embrace for all that I have ever counted dear will have become dung.

2006/1/28 11:33
GodsPeace

Re: An Introduction into the Simple Gospel

Quote:
by Greenquality

Here is simple, live the gospel to God, and other's ,be the light that,God called you to be. no matter how bright.a candle will always give light!to sum it up!This is the frist great commandment (Thou shalt Love The Lord thy God with all thy heart,and with all thy soul,and with all thy mind.and the second is like onto it,(Thou shalt Love thy neighbour as Thyself. on these two commandments hang all the law and the prohets.

Hi Greensquality,

Thanks for posting your version of a simple gospel. I can see you read your Bible. Your explanation is a little bit brief, however. Could you expand on what you said about light and love? To you, what comes to mind when you hear the word, "gospel"? In your opinion, how does Christ save the lost?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

2006/1/28 16:51Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

hello ,Godspeace, read (john 3 ver16)the Good news! God is love! our part is Repentance! forgive and it shall be forgiven! read luke ch18 ver15,17.read the parable of the lost son (luke ch15 ver 11thur 32). I will post more have little time try to keep short.

2006/1/28 23:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy