Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Be Nobody’s Valentine

Be Nobody’s Valentine

by Pastor David J. Meyer

Each year on February 14th countless millions of people celebrate a day known as “St. Valentine’s Day.” Millions of heart-shaped cards and boxes of chocolates are given as gifts, and even churches have Valentine parties on this so-called “Day of Love.” In schools, from pre-school and kindergarten on up, children draw names from a box and exchange heart-shapes notes which “pair off” the children and is said to be “all in fun.” People of all ages get into the act, and the words that are heard everywhere on that day are, “Be My Valentine.”

The sad fact is that most people never question the origin of the customs that they involve themselves with. Most people do not ask questions but do what everybody else does, never stopping to consider how the Almighty God of Heaven feels about their activities. When we consider that Valentine’s Day is a day of preoccupation with the heart, it is essential that we listen to the following words spoken by the Almighty, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his wages, and according to the fruit of his doings.” Jeremiah 17:9-10

Christians should be known by their discernment and should be asking questions regarding Valentine’s Day. What is the origin of this unusual day? Why is there a preoccupation with the color red? Where did the heart shape come from, and what does it mean? These and other questions will now be answered, as we examine the roots and pagan origin of this popular day.

In the days of the Roman Empire, the month of February was the last and shortest month of the year. February originally had 30 days, but when Julius Caesar named the month of July after himself, he decided to make that month longer and shortened February to 29 days while making July a month of 31 days. Later when Octavius Caesar, also known as Augustus, came to power, he named the month of August after himself, and not be outdone he also subtracted a day from February and gave the month of August 31 days. To this very day it remains that way. The ancient Romans believed that every month had a spirit that gained in strength and reached its peak or apex of power in the middle or ides of the month. This was usually the 15th day, and it was a day when witches and augurs, or soothsayers worked their magic. An augur was a person filled with a spirit of divination, and from the word augur we get the word “inaugurate”, which means to “take omens”. Since February had been robbed by Caesars and had only 28 days, the ides of February became the 14th day of that month. Since the Ides of a month was celebrated on the preceding eve, the month of February was unique, because it was the 13th day that became the eve of the Ides that month, and it became a very important pagan holiday in the Empire of Rome. The sacred day of February 14th was called “Lupercalia” or “day of the wolf.” This was a day that was sacred to the sexual frenzy of the goddess Juno. This day also honored the Roman gods, Lupercus and Faunus, as well as the legendary twin brothers, who supposedly founded Rome, Remus and Romulus. These two are said to have been suckled by wolves in a cave on Palatine Hill in Rome. The cave was called Lupercal and was the center of the celebrating on the eve of Lupercalia or February 14th. On this day, Lupercalia, which was later named Valentine’s Day, the Luperci or priests of Lupercus dressed in goatskins for a bloody ceremony. The priests of Lupercus, the wolf god, would sacrifice goats and a dog and then smear themselves with blood. These priests, made red with sacrificial blood, would run around Palatine Hill in a wild frenzy while carving a goatskin thong called a “februa.” Women would sit all around the hill, as the bloody priests would strike them with the goatskin thongs to make them fertile. The young women would then gather in the city and their names were put in boxes. These “love notes” were called “billets.” The men of Rome would draw a billet, and the woman whose name was on it became his sexual lust partner with whom he would fornicate until the next Lupercalia or February 14th.

Thus, February 14th became a day of unbridled sexual lust. The color “red” was sacred to that day because of the blood and the “heart shape” that is popular to this day. The heart-shape was not a representation of the human heart, which looks nothing like it. This shape represents the human female matrix or opening to the chamber of sacred copulation.

When the Gnostic Catholic Church began to get a foothold in Rome around the 3rd century A.D., they became known as Valentinians. The Catholic Valentinians retained the sexual license of the festival in what they called “angels in a nuptial chamber”, which was also called the “sacrament of copulation.” This was said to be an reenactment of the marriage of “Sophia and the Redeemer.” As the participants of the February 14th ritual began their sexual sacrament, presided over and watched by the priests known as Valentinians, the following literary was spoken: “Let the seed of light descend into thy bridal chamber, receive the bridegroom… open thine arms to embrace him. Behold, grace has descended upon thee.”

As time went on, the Orthodox Church suppressed the Gnostic Catholics and manufactured “St. Valentine”, whose day continues to be celebrated in these modern times.

It should be without saying that the Christians should avoid Valentine’s Day like a plague. In God’s eyes, it is still “Lupercalia”, the “Day Of The Wolf.” Men become wolves, as they carry on the Satanic rituals of fornication, which means sexual intercourse without marriage. We have heard of the “wolf whistle”, and we all know that wolves do not whistle. It is lustful men and women, who carry on Satan’s blasphemy to this very day.
In conclusion, we must ask ourselves, “Should a true Christian be associated in any way with this celebration of evil roots? Should we be doing what the heathen have done for so many years and try to justify it as love?” Romans 12:2 answers this very well, “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind…”

The shocking information in this tract can be easily verified at any public library.

2006/1/27 15:08Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Be Nobody’s Valentine

I read this article and thought I would share it and see what everyone else thought. This is honestly the first article on the subject I have read. Does everyone agree with it?

2006/1/27 15:10Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

Romans 14:6

The day is only "pagan" if one makes it so. If nobody is consciously observing the day as a pagan religious holiday, then they are not in fact observing it as a pagan religious holiday. The day is whatever you make of it. IMO, messages like this, be it picking at Christmas, Easter, or whatever, their method is all the same: they attempt to demonize all these days and show their "true origins." Once establishing some ancient and LONG SINCE FORGOTTEN and ABANDONED pagan religion practice, they attempt to create a guilt by association.

If we really want to be Biblical about this, we must apply the teaching of 1 Cor 8. In 1 Cor 8, there is a problem where Christians are eating meat sold at the market that came straight from the surrounding pagan temples. Many Christians were offended that their fellow Christians were eating meat that came from a pagan ceremony. In their eyes, to eat such meat was the equivalent of particpating in the pagan temple ceremony, and thus being guilty before God for commiting an act of idolatry.

Paul says in reality, eating meat sacrificed in a pagan temple does not equate to idolatry so long as one did not actually participate in worship of that idol. He reminds them that there is in reality, no such thing as an idol. Thus, eating meat that was previously sacrificed in an idols temple does not contaminate one. So it is with Valentine's day, Easter, Christmas and so forth.

In reality, a red heart is just a red heart. In reality, an easter egg is just an egg. In reality, a christmas tree is just a pine tree. None of these things are inheriently tied to pagan pracitce or some sort of idol. In reality, they were created by God, who is the maker of all things. All these things are ultimately, what you make of them. Just because some chose to make these things for pagan usage doesn't mean they all become pagan by mere association. It's only pagan if you make it such. In fact, instead of being pagan or secular, you can make it holy. Otherwise, we as Christians better start giving up our usage of the Julian calendar, which is soaked in paganism.

Remember, it's God's to begin with. Just because some pervert something that was originally created by God as good and holy doesn't mean the devil has right to it forever there after. We can redeem it for God, and as the old saying goes, "take back what he stole from me."

2006/1/27 15:35Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
In God’s eyes, it is still “Lupercalia”, the “Day Of The Wolf.”

Strong stuff.

Not to make a big deal of it either way...this is perhaps a variation on the controversy over Christmas. I can see why this pastor, after spending time doing research on the pagan or gnostic origins of Valentines would have a problem observing the holiday...which begs the question what makes a 21rst century pastor dig through 3rd centry antiquity to revive memories of long forgotten evil? Isn't the fact that no one remembers or cares about these heretics or their orgy rituals proof of victory over their false ideas?

I'm sure there is plenty of dark secrets lost and buried in the history of unredeemed mankind...is it our job to dig them up and talk about them? I guess I am learning it is.

MC

2006/1/27 15:45Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

Could you imagine what it was like to spread the good news,to the greeks, well take a look at (paul) on mars hill.(acts ch18 ver22 thur 34,)he uses a alter with the inscription to the Unknown God whom therfore ye ignorantly worship,him declare I unto you.

2006/1/29 2:06Profile

Re: Be Nobody’s Valentine

Hi Preach,

Thank you for posting this article. It tells me far more than I wanted to know, but, it confirms something which many people wonder about today - (not about Valentine's Day) but why God values virginity and marriage, both symbols of the purity He wants us to enjoy in His presence.

A couple of years ago I wrote a poem, on a Valentine's Day, alluding to the challenges and options it presents, hoping people will be encouraged to trust God to keep them or heal them from heartbreak. Maybe I'll post it later in the thread.

2006/1/29 10:20
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Sometimes you might wonder is it the ALCU or Christians that are trying to stop every single thing we grew up enjoying.

What's really strange why now? in the 50's and 60's the word was still the word and no one "Christians" had "any" issues with anything we as kids enjoyed Valentine's Day and many other things.

I guess with all this modern technology were we can all get together and voice opinions and change some's opinions overnight, were as back then you could have lived in the country and never got the opinion for years and were able to participate for many years in the things we enjoyed, even if you were a Christian.

My opinion is you can participate in "almost" anything if your truly a Christian without being concerned of jumping off the deep end according to some's opinions.

I grew up participating in Halloween, Easter,Valentine,St. Patrick's day even wore green so what has happened? is it us or the ACLU?

Personally I think we are way to hard on ourselves, how in the world are we to be salt and light if we are always hiding from the very folks we are to be salt and light to, I even go to this little Burger Shack right around the corner that also sells beer, and have sit and talked about the Lord and it's really strange now when I go in for a burger and my tea the beer drinkers come over and sit at my table with me, I wonder why? maybe it has something to do with the salt and the light.

Maybe we all should look in the mirror and ask ourselves are we really being "all" God wants us to be or maybe were picking and choosing what we want to do for God and the image "we" want to project to the world, me I want to try and project the image Jesus projected one that will go anywhere that needs a little light.

2006/1/29 10:41Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Jimmy, MC

Well said.

Quote:
IMO, messages like this, be it picking at Christmas, Easter, or whatever, their method is all the same: they attempt to demonize all these days and show their "true origins." Once establishing some ancient and LONG SINCE FORGOTTEN and ABANDONED pagan religion practice, they attempt to create a guilt by association.

And one more distraction towards controversy seemingly without a point or purpose. It's interesting, but that is about all. That many a mind is bent at conspiracy... Further throwing a big wrench in all this is just how things keep getting reinvented;

[url=http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/valentine/]http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/valentine/[/url]

2006/1/29 10:48Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

You know some Christians find things wrong with the Church, so I don't find it hard to believe at all they would find things wrong with Halloween, Easter,Valentine,St.Patrick's Day or anything else that might be fun.

We don't like fun or do we? if so is there anything left we can do that's fun and if so you can bet some Christian will come along and pick it apart also to make you believe your going to Hell for doing that, were does it stop? :-(

I tell you when it will stop we we all get a larger mirror. :-?

2006/1/29 11:12Profile

Re: Be nobody's Valentine

Beloved, there is a difference between picking at Christmas and Easter, which are rooted in the existence - the LIFE of Christ - and, in pointing out that it is not healthy for [u]Christians[/u] to participate in [u]pagan celebrations[/u] which have [u]no[/u] [b]truthful basis [i]whatsoever[/i][/b].

This should be obvious. There is no reason for a Christian to do anything different AT ALL on 14th February. It IS just a day in the year when we can celebrate God with the same fervour we usually do - however fervent that is... ;-)

2006/1/29 12:47

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy