SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Church is a lot like Football

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
There's a cynical definition of English football which might translate to the American?

15000 thousand people desperately in need of exercise watching 11 people desperately in need of a rest.

rolling with laughter...that's straight up hilarious bro Ron

2006/1/27 22:06Profile
dohzman

Re:

:-) what a wonderful sense of humor, I think I'll also place that one in my book of quotable quotes :-)

2006/1/27 22:13Profile

Re:

I got an email tonite, that Ron's 'right-on-riot' post reminded me of ... See if you see it too ... relating it also to The Church.

(May not be about 'Football', but then again, maybe that's where they were headed :)

Quote:

A tour bus driver is driving with a bus load of seniors down a highway when he is tapped on his shoulder by a little old lady.
She offers him a handful of peanuts, which he gratefully munches up.

After about 15 minutes, she taps him on his shoulder again and she hands him another handful of peanuts.
She repeats this gesture about five more times.

When she is about to hand him another batch he asks the little old lady why they don't eat the peanuts themselves.

"We can't chew them because we've no teeth", she replied.

The puzzled driver asks,
"Why do you buy them then?"
The old lady replied,
"We just love the chocolate around them."

2006/1/28 0:23
lovejt

Re:

Man...i found a link to that actual Football hymn. Just had to share it with yous before the big game. hehe ;)

http://bertc.com/dropkick.htm

blessings,
-j

2006/2/1 11:46Profile

Re:Church & Football ?

Looka here now ...

We moved from the spiritually cold territory of New England to the "Belt Buckle of The Bible Belt" thinking, Wow, Look at ALLLL of these Churches ... only to find out, that these BIG Churches down yonder here, change the time of their monthly Communion Service to ACCOMMODATE TONITE'S SUPERBALL.

Edited to add more Bible Belt Specials for today.
An even larger "Church" is having the Game and a Party there tonite, 'instead of' a Service.
Praise God and pass the pretzels.

That's it, I give up. :-? :-P :-( :-?

2006/2/5 17:16
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

Quote:
We moved from the spiritually cold territory of New England to the "Belt Buckle of The Bible Belt" thinking, Wow, Look at ALLLL of these Churches ... only to find out, that these BIG Churches down yonder here, change the time of their monthly Communion Service to ACCOMMODATE TONITE'S SUPERBALL.

Edited to add more Bible Belt Specials for today.
An even larger "Church" is having the Game and a Party there tonite, 'instead of' a Service.
Praise God and pass the pretzels.

God forbid, ma'am, that Christ ever pick up a child instead of preaching the good word. Never mind that millions of people will be sitting together discussing a game in a way that rarely ever happens other than the thirty minutes after the sermon. Of course the fact that it had probably gone on for four and a half to five hours really doesn't discount that fellowship is supposed to be a good thing.

Aw, heck, let's throw down the gauntlet. I now proclaim sex to be horribly anti-biblical because anything uttered durring such a period will most adamantly not be for God!

This is silly. Tradition is silly and stupid. Church timing is just as much a tradition as the superbowl. To condemn the act of pacing a service for an internationally renowned event really is egotistical. Its like saying that we shouldn't have listened to the radio after 9/11. And I say phooey.

I'm sorry, Krispy, this was a wonderful thread, but I'm afeared the lightness and humor of it has been awkwardly turned. I do thank you for your efforts.

2006/2/5 23:20Profile

Re:

PTywama3, I watched one SuperBowl since I've been saved.

Guess which one it was ?

Well, if it was playing at that same Church as usual, then the whole Church saw Janet Jackson too ... besides the 'commercials' and the cheer leaders and the other half-time stuff, that really fits into the House of God quite well, right ?

Do you also think those commercials are something "Christ" would give a "child" or the half-time shows or the other non-game activities ?

Do you really think "Jesus" would bring little children there or turn the tube on for them to see it all ?

Do you think all of these non-game things I've brought up, is Jesus' idea of what HE called "Fellowship" ?

And if the elderly members of that other Church couldn't make the morning service today, then they didn't get to hear, that no one would be there for Communion Service at the time they'll be getting there to an empty parking lot.

I really don't know why you're so upset friend.

I could see if I blasphemed the Lord or something ... but come on now ... Football ?

I understand Krispy's post, but not this one PTywama3.
This is very confusing. :-(

2006/2/5 23:49

Re:

Whoa whoa... hold on everyone. Let's set a few things right side up again, shall we?

First of all... the Carolina Panthers should have won that Super Bowl where the Janet Jackson thing happened, and that game is still a sore subject w/me. (I live in in North Carolina)

All I can say is thank the Lord Mick Jagger didnt have a ward-robe malfunction! I think I would have seen my chicken wings for the second time if that had happened!

Seriously tho... that church that was stupid enough to not turn the tube OFF when Janet hit the stage got what they deserved. We missed the whole thing because God gave us enough discernment to realize that if the half time show was produced by MTV... it doesnt need to be seen!

Now, as to moving communion services: most churches have communion in the morning service because their are more people in attendance. Sice the game is a night game... I dont think too many communion services got re-scheduled.

Evening services may have been changed... but so what? There werent evening services until the invention of the lightbulb some 120 years or so ago. Evening services started as an evangelistic tool to "lure" unbelievers to church out of curiousity about the lightbulb! Now-a-days people act like there's a command to have evening services buried somewhere in the book of Philemon!

We dont have evening services because we try to keep Sunday as a day of rest. Having 2 services makes Sunday ANYTHING BUT a day of rest.

Football is great, I love it. I coach it. I live it. It's a great way to teach young men about life, teamwork, work ethics, etc.

There is nothing wrong with believers watching the Super Bowl. And surprisingly... the commercials were very clean last night. There was one advertiser that I knew would be a little "busty"... and since we have Tivo, we blipped right thru them.

Great game last night... just wish the Carolina Panthers were there. Next year will be their time!

Krispy

2006/2/6 17:02

Re:

Just for the record ... I was rootin' for the Panthers for the same reason ... :-P
... but I don't do the cat make-up and I'm not Roman about the whole thing.

I've got nothing against "Football" ... but you NEED Tivo to watch it around kids anymore.
For that matter ... around anyone with a pure mind, or who wants to keep it pure anyhow.

I'll have to find out if that big ol' Church has Tivo.

I don't have Tivo, but if the Panthers were in the Superbowl, I could have had someone tape it for me and pause out the commercials and stuff ... and just see the game. But ....

Anyhowz ... so now, are we still friends Coach ?

:-? :-D

BTW, what took you so long to find this post of mine ? HA !
Can't say I didn't "warn" you. 8-)

2006/2/6 17:42
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

Forgive me, some of this needs response.

Quote:
Do you also think those commercials are something "Christ" would give a "child" or the half-time shows or the other non-game activities ?

Yes, I did hear one advertisement that stuck out poorly this year.

As a response: no, I'm not so sure Christ would invite a child to sit with him and watch the game, but I'm pretty sure he would have walked into a pub and watched it with the guys. I'd bet on that with my life.

Quote:
Do you think all of these non-game things I've brought up, is Jesus' idea of what HE called "Fellowship" ?

Quite honestly, I don't think you've addressed the concept of "fellowship" at all. You've addressed censorship a great deal. That is why I'm upset. Your concern has as much coverage over CNN, Christmas, and poker night as it does the Superbowl. The criticism was illegitimately placed, and in my view almost completely unrelated.

As far as the cheerleaders go, I think it far worse for a kid to be introduced to swimming lessons. I once was told to study a young woman's legs while attempting to learn the kick part of the sidestroke. What an interesting yet completely legitimate turn of events, no? Somehow, this is better than watching a game full of physicality and struggle.

And for Krispy: ESPN produced an article that said officiating could have cost the Seahawks 11 points that game... yeah, I think I might know whatcha mean.

As a side note, did anyone else think Mic Jagger performed down near his worst?

2006/2/7 3:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy