Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : My home town makes the news

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

My home town makes the news

California high school sued over 'intelligent design' class

FRESNO, California (AP) -- A rural high school teaching a religion-based alternative to evolution was sued Tuesday by a group of parents who said the class should be stopped because it violates the U.S. Constitution.

Frazier Mountain High in Lebec violated the separation of church and state while attempting to legitimize the theory of "intelligent design" by introducing it as a philosophy class, according to the federal lawsuit filed by parents of 13 students. The teacher is also a minister's wife.

"The course was designed to advance religious theories on the origins of life, including creationism and its offshoot, 'intelligent design,"' the lawsuit said. "Because the teacher has no scientific training, students are not provided with any critical analysis of this presentation."

The suit was filed by Americans United for Separation of Church and State, which successfully blocked Dover, Pa., schools last month from using science courses to advance the theory that living things are so complex they must have been designed by a higher being.

Similar battles are being fought in Georgia and Kansas over the controversial subject.

The suit filed on behalf of 11 parents against the El Tejon Unified School District names its superintendent, the course teacher and school board members as defendants.

Superintendent John Wight, who did not immediately return a phone call for comment, said last week that the class, "Philosophy of Design," was not being taught as science and was an opportunity for students to debate the controversial issue.

Defendant Kitty Jo Nelson, one of two school board trustees who opposed the class, said the costs of the lawsuit would ultimately deprive students. "I'm extremely disappointed and saddened," she said.

Fifteen students were enrolled in the class in Lebec, a town of 1,285 in the mountains between the agricultural Central Valley and Los Angeles, about 75 miles south.

The five-member school board was divided when it learned about the class last month and discovered three guest lecturers were scheduled in support of intelligent design but none for evolution.

The class is taught by social studies teacher Sharon Lemburg, whose husband is an Assembly of God pastor.

An initial course description sent to parents in December said it would examine "evolution as a theory and will discuss the scientific, biological and Biblical aspects that suggest why Darwin's philosophy is not rock solid."

The El Tejon district's Board of Trustees approved the course 3-2 with a revised syllabus in a Jan. 1 session, during which board members had to vote up or down on the entire winter session curriculum.

Classes started two days later with a class plan that relied solely on videos, not guest speakers.

The Washington, D.C.-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State said that with one exception the course "relies exclusively on videos that advocate religious perspectives and present religious theories as scientific ones."

The lawsuit filed on behalf of 11 parents seeks a temporary restraining order to halt the four-week class in its second week.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/1/11 15:43Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: My home town makes the news

Why does one have to have scientific training in order to teach course in PHILOSOPHY?

If this logic works, then many professors who teach philosophy of science should be sued!?

2006/1/11 17:43Profile
abbiegrrl

In a desert...Central Indiana at the moment

Re:

OK, here it goes again. Why can't anyone get the info when they are in this situation, that the "seperation of church and state" is NO WHERE in the Constitution?! Ugh! I hate that so many pl are shoving that idea down the church's throat as IF it were a law or something. I heard a Dobson show a few years back talking about how "the separation of church and state" is exactly what left HITLER free and clear to pull the cr*p that he got away with so EASILY. AND furthermore, why is it that they can teach evolution, (which has never gotten further than being proven as a THEORY, if I'm right), as a SCIENCE, and yet the FACTS are still being unquestionably handled as old wives tales?
I wish Kent Hovine's studies were made available to every public school teacher in the country. It's like we are so busy trying to deflect the enemies bb's , that we are unable to throw the holy handgrenades we are carrying around. Or maybe it's b/c we haven't looked in the Word enough to know that we HAVE the weapons to defend the faith?
I dunno.
I'm so sad that it's so difficult to teach our kids the truth. Lord, come soon...

2006/1/12 1:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy