SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Walk in the Light, beautivul Light

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Walk in the Light, beautivul Light

The following was sent to my wife about her uncle Mark who just got out of the hospital. He is over 90 years old and had recently been living with his missionary daughter Mary in Costa Rica. He is a former Holiness pastor and earlier in his life had been a pastor at a church in western Pa. that experienced revival while he was there. Uncle Mark told me the key for his success there was humility and loving everyone. He has not been able to hear very well since he was a child and as the letter points out has used humor to overcome his handicap.

A Beautiful Song
Walk in the Light, beautiful Light,
Come where the dew drops of mercy shine bright;
Shine all around us by day and by night,
Jesus the Light of the world.

Those words and the music that accompany them have become the centerpiece of a memory indelled on my memory.

Picture if you will a frail, weakened soldier, changing venues of rest. Showing signs of battle but most prominently demonstrating a confident resolve demonstrated during years of service on the battle field. His mind interestingly finding current thought in the decades long since past. Being pushed in a wheel chair through the busiest airport in the world, Atlanta, Hartsfield.

It was Tuesday, I had just left revival services the Sunday night before in Oak Hill, West Virginia. They were good, productive services. The response was healthy and positive. There is no doubt that there is a connection between my efforts and those of the Old Soldier being transported today. He was my Drill Sergeant, if you will. I have been to college and learned many things in my nearly 54 years. But my initiation into this battlefield was orchestrated and the training was led by this Old Soldier. My basic training.

I had traveled to Huntsville, Alabama to David and Linda's home where I would meet Mary and then take charge of my father's care. Mary had the delightful task of being with Deanna and Toby for the birth of their little Toby.

I was taking Daddy to Ohio with me. We would keep him, for a while at least.

The transfer was a bit nervous. His natural traits will change the way you do business. I am used to traveling. Going through airports is normal for me, If it can be normal for anyone. I move through the gates continually examining the arrival and departure board. It is important to be on time. Equally so to be at the right gate. They change them without notice. I speak to almost no one.

With Daddy along the duties acquire a new urgency.

How much care does he need? Can he get on the plane without assistance? Some of the planes require climbing steep stairways. Can he go to the bathroom by himself? He got stuck in one on a Continental flight with Mary. The stewardess had to get the door open so he could get out.

Not having been with him for a while I knew I would have to learn and adjust to the level of care he required. From one person to another that will change. He knows just how to get the most out of you. He will let you do everything if you will. But that isn't always what is best for him.

A welcomed relief in the airport gives me some time to get up to speed. An attendant wheels him everywhere we go. Checking the kiosks for times and gates is now their duty. They know just where to go and how to get there. We get to use all the right elevators and hallways. They are very nice to us.

They ask me what he can do. "Can he climd those stairs?" I still don't know. "Let's find out." I reply. He can. Whew!

As you know he is very hard of hearing and very engaging with everyone he meets. I don't mean most everyone, everyone.

His sense of humor has remained in tact. He is a very funny guy. He masks his hearing and his memory shortage with humor. What is your name? Lukie Maklukie from Kalamazukie. He sweetly and subservantly says, "I don't hear well. I never have heard well. Talk into my ear." They lean close, he takes heir arm and...they are caught. His grip on them is firm and sure. He doesn't hurt them but they can't just pull away.

They talk to him and he decides when they leave. I am learning now that one of my duties will be to manage these encounters. We do have a schedule to keep.

One young attendant in Huntsville was caught by him. She was a nice young lady. Tall and thin with blonde hair. Very polite and respectful of him. I was off to one side. Both letting him, and her, enjoy the encounter but also tending to some business. I moved a little closer to see when I should intervene.

She was beginning to look as though she was needing to go to a different venue. Perhaps she had been called on the radio. I watched as she began saying, "Good by and I need to go. It is really nice to visit with you." I moved closer to gently intervene on her behalf.

I heard him ask, "Where is your husband?" "I'm not married." "You're not?" he responds with an air of surprise that such a nice young lady would not be married. It was almost a compliment in his tone. "My wife is gone. She died in 1997. Maybe you would be a good wife for me." She already knows how old he is. That was part of the drill. She kindly answered, "Your years are a little high for me."

By now I was at their side. I kindly asked her, "Would you want me to call you Mother or Mom?" I gently released his hand from her arm and she says good-bye and slips away. Her next traveler will not be as engaging or intriguing as this one.

We get on the plane and make the 50 minute flight to Atlanta arriving five minutes before we left. (Different time zone.) We are instructed to wait for the plane to empty. We are sitting at the front. Every passenger passing by is potentially a new conquest. He will talk to anyone who will listen. And some who won't.

He is put in the wheel chair. We are taken into the airport. A new attendant is called. Her duties will keep her with us until we get to the next gate. That gate is in a different concourse and far away.

As we pass people Daddy is nodding his head and speaking to many who pass. If we slow he will engage them. I kind of run interference, keeping myself between him and those passing by. It seems the right thing to do. We don't have time to visit with absolutely every passenger in this, the busiest airport in the world. He would try it though. He has plenty of time. Another reason to be in Ripley's Believe it or Not.

Another attendant going to get her fare joins us. She pushes her empty chair next to ours. She and our attendant visit together. It isn't long before he has them both engaged. (Not to him. at least not yet.)

"Do you know why I am world famous? No, why? You don't know? No, what did you do? It isn't what I did, it is what I didn't do. What didn't you do? Ripley's Believe it or Not, book series 21. You go to the library and ask for that book. I'm in it. Well, what did you do? Well, I'll tell you. Every where I pastored death left, nobody died. Oh my! I want to stay close to you. You are a man of God. I want to be near you. You are a sweet heart.

They were now enthralled with this Old Soldier. The trip through the airport was a long one. It is big. About halfway through we had to get on an elevator. It was a tight fit. We had to get on in a certain order. I went first. The empty chair next. then Daddy was wheeled in. His eye was at the level of the floor button that lighted up to indicate where we would get off.

As soon as it lit up beside his eye he began to sing the song. Now, if you have ever heard him sing you need to know he is even more frail now. The voice wavers and leaves the tune even more frequently. It was an old song. I remembered hearing it but not recently.

Because of all the things he is, his music is beautiful. He is the one who was such an encouragement to me and a huge reason why I sing.

If you listen in your mind you can hear him now,

Walk in the Light, beautiful Light,

Within the first line these two, dear black ladies began singing with him. Their voices rang clear and strong. They obviously sing in their church choir. They knew the words.

The elevator door opened and out we all went. At this point I was just a footnote to this entourage. Through the crowded airport they pushed this Old Soldier. He was singing the lead and they were giving strong support. None of the three were being subdued.

Come where the dew drops of mercy shine bright;
Shine all around us by day and by night,
Jesus the Light of the world.

The people passing by were looking with surprise then appreciation. As they saw the Old soldier, bearded and frail, they smiled and you could see in their expression an appreciation for what this group represented. Perhaps a bit of envy as well.

I kept up, enjoying the beautiful music he was generating.

At the end of our short journey they both mentioned how their feet had been tired but now they could go all day.

He does make a difference. I find that the expectations and acceptance of me is greatly influenced by who he is. My success in Oak Hilll, West Virginia was somehow intertwined with who this Old Soldier is.

At this end of life his years of uniqueness are putting the finishing touches on a painting that is very different from what his peers thought it would be. They pale in his presence.

2006/1/5 14:56Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Walk in the Light, beautivul Light

What a "Life." What a "treasure."

Thankyou brother.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/1/5 15:18Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Walk in the Light, beautivul Light