SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is This Funny, or Am I Twisted?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Is This Funny, or Am I Twisted?

This quote had been dancing around in my head:

"Anyone that tells you personally that you are unsaved, unholy, or unlearned is a legalist."

2006/1/3 3:00Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Is This Funny, or Am I Twisted?

I don't know, but anyone who tells you personally that you [u]are[/u] saved or holy is an interferer in God's business. ;-)

2006/1/3 6:02Profile
CyberCarbon

Unless they are correct, then they may be a prophet.

2006/1/3 10:42Profile
groh_frog

I suppose that I'll have another word to my self-description: "Fundamental Legalist Independent Baptist...." :-P I actually know a lot of people who are unsaved- mormons, JWs, muslims... Legalistic?

Grace and Peace...

2006/1/3 12:47Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Maybe I should have explained my post a bit. What I am inferring is that most everyone who is familiar with the doctrine of salvation claims to be. Most people claim to be basically good. And most Christians would not claim to be ignorant.

So, in other words, everyone one that is holier than us is often 'holier than thou.' They are just taking things a little too serious. Much like the man who is witnessed to will say, 'He was one of those people who take the Bible literally.' Or the Christian who sees his other Christian friend going out of his way to avoid sin as a 'over-religious.'

Wesley from 'Holiness is not Legalism:

"No one who is not saved from sin here can be saved from hell hereafter."

"Yes, professing Christians invariably invent one way or another to get to heaven without holiness."

"However, Protestants will not be satisfied in that manner. They are convinced that whoever leans on such things leans on the staff of a broken reed. Yet, thousands of such Protestants also think that they too will see God without holiness. How? Why, by doing no harm, generally doing good, going to the church, and receiving the sacraments. And many thousands are content with this, believing they are on the high road to heaven."

"Do not stupidly and senselessly call holiness legalism -- a silly, meaningless word. Be not afraid of being under the law of God. Rather, fear being under "the law of sin" (Romans 7:23). Love the strictest preaching best; that which most searches the heart, and shows you wherein you are unlike Christ. That which presses you most to love Him with all your heart, and serve Him with all your strength."

2006/1/4 0:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy