SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hinderance to revival?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
brentw

Ohio

Hinderance to revival?

Hold on to your boots straps on this:
Charles Finney said "The appetite for food frequently is the occasion for backsliding, yet few christians sense any danger in this area...Show me a gluttonous proffessor of Christ, and I will show you a backslider...Tables ensnare more people than the church is aware of."

Could the "table" be one of the snares holding back the church for revival?

2006/1/2 15:29Profile
CyberCarbon

Re: Hinderance to revival?

Amen, Amen, Amen!!! I am one that has to battle that temptation everyday. Like all temptations prayer and fasting are very effective weapons in the battle.

2006/1/2 15:36Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re: Hinderance to revival?

Yes that may be, then there are those who are listening to the other ten spys. but God needs only two witness's to show us the land of milk and honey. so sit down you ten grass hoppers, I've the jordan to cross. Ive the gideon's the samuels,and moses to meet. men on a mission, men who listen to the call of God and answered yes Lord here am I. and answers is what the lord is asking from us. do we hear the call, the battle cry. Isn't it ironic adam sat by while eve was talking to the devil. and what a ordeal that turned out to be. kinda left us out side of paridise, move over eve I've the enemy to face. eating moved us out, that is the wrong eating. If you think about it eating is a very selfcentered thing that we do. so let's eat God's manna and bread that he has to offer. so come to the bread of life, drink the living water and the wine of the spirit.

2006/1/2 16:27Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

We hear very little on eating from the pulpit and books. Ravenhill said he didnt like "big belly preachers". It seems WE overlook gluttony, and pick on alcohol etc.. I've heard alot of holiness preachers preach on worldliness but never speek about the worldliness of over eating. I read one time if WE can discipline our eating habits everything else will fall into place. I'm not over weight at all but I can and do eat to much at times. We dont have to be over weight to be a glutton. Do we even know what it means to eat in moderation? The Lord called us To "deny ourselves", but we fill ourselves. God have mercy on us.
"mark them that cause divisions....for they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their OWN BELLY..." Romans 16:17-18

2006/1/2 17:35Profile
CyberCarbon

Re:

I feel so strong about this I am going to break out the
old html editor for this post, You are both right and all of my fat brothers and
sisters out there here is a little Christian book that will help set you free
from this sin. This dear sister went through the same battles and lost year
after year, she was defeated, depressed, done in, and doing the donut duty. She
broke down in her despair and cried out to God. Surrender, and begged him to
help her, and you know what HE did. By revealing scripture after scripture to
her and giving her the light and the word of knowledge to over come her
addiction to food. After a year her fellow Christians notice how great she
looked. She shared her testimony and the words of wisdom based on the Word of
God. She started to give classes, more and more. Seminars followed, she started
to write formal outlines and presentations. Her Pastor read them and said:
Sister you have a book her people need to read. And so it was, The book is :
The Diet Alternative
by Diane Hampton. This book is 100% based
on the word of God. and has been a blessing for me. I went to Bereans and bought
all the copies they had at two different stores. It is the best$6.99 you can
spend on controlling your eating and you know what it can help with any
addiction because it is based on God's Word. You do not need Anthony Hopkins,
Susan Summers, or Chuck Norris. The Holy Spirit will be your trainer and He does
not mess around with sin at all.
  8-)

2006/1/2 18:07Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

CyberCarbon wrote:
You are both right and all of my fat brothers and
sisters out there here is a little Christian book that will help set you free
from this sin.

There is no sin of being "fat" that I know of. We are not to judge according to appearance, but righteous judgment. Gluttony is a sin, not being fat or overweight. You can be "skinny" and still be a glutton.

Looks can be deceiving, but your actions most always show your heart.

2006/1/2 18:29Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

You can be pregnant and have never been married, that doesn't mean you are or have sinned.

What if the woman was raped. She committed no sin.

2006/1/2 18:34Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
There is no sin of being "fat" that I know of. We are not to judge according to appearance, but righteous judgment. Gluttony is a sin, not being fat or overweight. You can be "skinny" and still be a glutton.

This is very true. God has created us all sizes and shapes. I actually consume alot of food and am very skinny. But I am 6 foot 6 tall and my metabolism is very high, so if I don't eat alot I get faint, I think I burn a ton of calories just typing! Gluttony is a real sin that north americans indulge in at times even daily. I think a big consideration we have to have is for the poor. But beyond that is our time and even as Ravenhill once stated that God would lead us into time of prayer and anguish for the church as a whole that we would even miss meals.

2006/1/2 18:47Profile
CyberCarbon

Re: You are kind but...

You are mixing apples and oranges, over eating causes people to be fat, I am one of them. Gluttony is overeating by definition now I know this is a touchy subject because what 70% of the US population is fat. Well should we lie to ourselves and sugar coat it or confess it and confront it. Me I freely confess I am fat but I am ashamed of it and I know it hurts my testimony. It also hurts every Fat Christian testimony out there. Especially if you travel to India, Ethiopia, or China it is downright embarrassing. So brother I do not know the point you are trying to make. If it is to protect all the fat Christians you are not doing them any favors. And for myself Being a FAT CHRISTIAN I personally need conviction and healing in this area. Thanks for your kind heart but in this area I need my butt kicked and I know I am not alone. Now that you got me upset I think I will go eat some Oreo's and chocolate milk thank you.... ;-)

You both of course are correct being fat is not a sin, BUT it is very strong evidence of a sinful lifestyle.

2006/1/2 18:47Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

I wonder why the sin of gluttony is so touchy and avoided (not talked about)?? Its interesting we can tackle every other sin but gluttony. I think this is a strong hold in the church. I believe it needs to be exposed more so more can get victory over this.

Does anyone believe that this is a hiderance to revival? Is it a source or root of the issues we cant get victory over??

2006/1/2 19:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy