Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Passion

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
brentw

Ohio

The Passion

I'm kind of new to this site and I dont like to rehash things, but I'm curious what everyone thought about the movie "The Passion", or if you didnt see it.
I know when Ray Comfort saw it he came back weeping.
Whats your thoughts??

2005/12/31 11:41Profile
groh_frog

Re: The Passion

In regards to evangelism, I don't know if it's the best tool. I think it reflects more to believers- we know what he died for. If you're not careful in doing it correctly when using it as an evangelism tool, you just might get the person to pray to accept Christ, but not knowing any more than the emotions that the movie stirred.

Now, I really like using the tools that are made available. And that movie definitely could be a tool, but I'd say moreso for the christian who needs to be "reminded" of why they serve.

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/31 12:05Profile

Re:

I have never seen this movie and have never had any desire to.I can only take what I hear from others about it being a good/bad movie. I like to protect my own sense of how it happened.
I also don't like my emotions being played with.I want to know what happened and I get a pretty good picture of it from Isaih 53.Its also upsetting with me when unbelievers walk out and say "oh what a sad story," but never change.It could use a gosple message at the end but than it would never make it to the movie theater.
I also have a problem with giving hollywood producers my money.
I don't watch T.V. and thrive on being detached from the world.If it were up to me I wouldn't have a t.v in my house.
Im glad the movie blessed you though!

2005/12/31 13:21
lovejt

I think its the 'best' hollywood biblical movie. I know that Gibson has used alot of his own money going outside the hollywood system to get this produced. There were risks and he faced alot of adversity for it. I am leary too with 'Hollywood's version of anything Bible. Outside of that, i would recommend you check it out since you are aware of the biblical account.

As far as an evangelistic tool, because of this movie, it at least opened up dialog with my mom who is japanese. Its hard for her to understand the bible and theological words. So, i was thankful that at least we could talk about it. It may be useable for outreach in japan and china since i'm kind of in those cultures over here. At least it may open up dialog or a door of discussion.

-j

2005/12/31 15:52Profile
CyberCarbon

It is a disturbing movie for anyone who sees it. Artfully it is one of the best ever made. Mel Gibson offered a worthy sacrifice to our Lord. People told him it would ruin his career, others said he was throwing his money away. Satan did everything he could to discredit, secularize, cause denomination divisions, attack pride, and raise fears all of which God’s Spirit over came.
I think it is not a movie for children either physically or spiritually, ecclesiastical arguments are, and it is too Roman. I disagree even though I am not Roman. I respect their traditions and their right to have them.
As violent as the movie is, I really think Gibson toned the whole thing down, at least compared to what I read in the scriptures. I personal have a very difficult time watching it, guilt from abusing His sacrifice, maybe. This movie affects feelings in side of you that stay and fester. I wish I could think of a word stronger than disturbing. It moves you on many different levels, you feel Mary’s pain, Jesus pain, the Roman soldiers lust for pleasure, and enjoyment of inflicting the pain, then their confusion, and finally their fear.
I hope and pray Mel Gibson would take on more bible themes such as Acts and Luke

2005/12/31 15:55Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Personally I have no intention to see this movie.
Movies are ment for entertainment in the first place, I cannot see how this movie would be entertaining to me or how it would deepen my walk with the Lord.

I've asked some of my friends the reason why they would want to see this movie. Mostly they couldn't really answer that question, guess they couldn't say 'for entertainment'.

Some christians said to me that it really made them realize what God had done for them. Personally I found that weird that one would need a movie for this.
As for using this movie as an evangelizing tool, I got my questions about that, personally I would not use it.

My conclusion was that I would miss nothing if I would not view this movie. :-)

2006/1/1 12:21Profile
groh_frog

Re:

The Revival Hymn, and now the accompanying video version, are absolutely amazing in how they can stir a believer. I first heard the Hymn when I was in a particularily low place, having fallen into simple routine and duty for the Lord. But hearing the Hymn stirred a new life in me. When I had all but forgotten why I serve the Lord, he reminded me.

I believe that The Passion has the ability to do the same. In the most graphic way possible, we see our Savior broken on the Cross. It's a very startling reminder for those times when we seem to forget. And if you're like me, sometimes we need to be reminded, to be startled. As sad as it is that we could even forget what such a gift cost, I think this film can help us to consider our position, and through that, our current standing with the Lord- something that when not carefully attended to, can slowly slip away so easily.

Now, I seem to recall many little things in the film also that I don't believe to be right- the faces of demons hiding in rocks, etc. It's been a while since I saw it. But even in that, I think that there's a place for much good. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater...

Grace and Peace...

2006/1/1 12:34Profile

I had heard so much negative feedback concerning this movie that I went to the theatre with arms crossed, and very judgmental.

Towards the end of the film when the centurian pierced His side, I broke, I couldn't hold back any longer.

The critics of the movie were all politically motivated they did not know what they were talking about, I am glad that I went to see it and I bought the DVD to which I have never opened, to me it's kind of sacred it's something you just don't pop in the machine and watch at anytime, I have to build myself up to watch it because I think it's the closest rendition to reality that we'll ever get on film surrounding the passion.

LS

2006/1/1 13:27
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Can God use this movie for His good? Well possibly, I can't judge as I haven't seen this movie.

Quote:
Now, I seem to recall many little things in the film also that I don't believe to be right- the faces of demons hiding in rocks, etc. It's been a while since I saw it. But even in that, I think that there's a place for much good. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater...

Actually I'm getting tired of discussion. :-(
Often I find topics about opinions not edifying at all. My fault for responding. Would be time for me to drop a bit on the discussions and use the time more usefully instead talking alot about God I'd better talk alot with God. :-)

God bless.

2006/1/1 17:05Profile
abbiegrrl

In a desert...Central Indiana at the moment

Re:

I have to say that I find it stange that you said that movies are only for entertainment. (Or did I read it wrong?) I've been blessed to learn quite a few things from the video/film medium.
I went to see the Passion, and here's why:
It was a movie made about my Lord, and not in a way to cut Him down. that's all I needed to know, going into it. If it was a movie made about my Mother, or my child, or anybody ELSE that matters in my life, I would absolutely go to it, to see if it was accurate of my knowledge of that person, at least.
I found the movie to be a real awakening, and I know everyone that I know, who went to the movie, felt the same thing. the ppl who didn't, well, I have to wonder. But It's between them and God, isn't it?
Personally, I NEEDED to have my nose rubbed in it. I will FORGET things that are unpleasant and that make me uncomfortable, given the opportunity. I NEED to see the gruesome, shocking reality. I agree that it was toned down, according to what I read in the Word. It's simply TOO easy for me, in the land of comfort, to turn away and ignore what I know to be TRUE, about the things that have been done TO those I love, and ARE being done, in fact, all over the world, every day, in the name of, what? God?? the ppl who did that to our Lord thought they were RIGHT, and doing God a favor.
Every 18 minutes, if I heard correctly, a Christian is KILLED for refusing to deny the Name of Jesus. I hope that the day will come when I am allowed the priveledge of suffering for Him. To me, the Passion was just a small piece of what Jesus did for me. It helps me to remember.

2006/1/2 1:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy