SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Open Air: Handling Hecklers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

Thats really strange that someone would tell you your being divisive.Of course your being divisive.Either someone chooses to serve God or not.It doesn't matter what religion were all divided.

Jesus said that this gosple would be preached to the ends of the earth so I believe everyone gets a chance to hear because God is just, so I know they do.

2006/1/28 23:11
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

Jesse,

I would be interested if you could write out a few common heckles that you get from professing Christians who believe what you are doing is wrong, and the answers you have for them. I have heard a few, but am often caught off guard when I am being hindered by someone who claims Christ.

2006/1/29 1:28Profile

Re:

I'll do that. Usually it's the whole "be a friend not a preacher" type thing. "People need relationships, not preaching."

What kind of things do they usually say to you?

2006/1/29 14:37
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

Yes, generally the same thing. Also people who believe that preaching the law for the conviction of sin is wrong. They tell you that you are condemning people and that Jesus' message was love. Ofcourse, this is a wrong understanding of what love truly is (lev 19:17).

2006/1/29 15:38Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

Rebecca5 wrote:

Im wondering why many open-air preachers don't have many alter calls.Also, I don't hear many of them talk about the cross or the way to salvation.Most seem to only preach the ten commandments and than you see people walking away in condemnation with no way out.

Rebecca,

I know that someone has already mentioned the fruit needing to be ripe, but I guess to clarify on how to know a fruit is ripe, may I share the following principle? God resists the proud, and gives grace to the humble (James 3).

Why? Because their can be no salvation without repentance. Be careful to never mistake admitting to sinning with repentance. I notice you mentioned a Paris Reidhead quote from Revival Hymn. May I suggest listening to his sermon [url="https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=40"]The right use of the law[/url] and [url="https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=281"]Except ye repent[/url] as an concise response to you question? The first brings a little clarity about what actually happened in Africa and how he came to realise that the native "knew all about hell". It's quite chilling. The second clearly lays out the principle of repentance requiring the grace of God.

I have spend several hours counselling well meaning evangelists who become frustrated by the lack of "converts" when allowing the Law to be the schoolmaster to lead people to Christ. Many, sadly, revert to false means.

The reality we have to face, is that it's not about using the 10 Commandments in eveangelism as a technique to stimulate a response to an altar call, but that it's preaching the Law that "is the schoolmaster". We are not the schoolmaster and any attempt to be so, is to block of God's only perscribed means of producing repentance in a human being, before it has completed it's work. This is one of the greatest acts of arrogance on the part of a human being, for it displays to God that our way is better than His. The Law brings the revelation of God's values. He can only save those who have accepted their own wretchedness and cling to Him for mercy.

Quote:
"How deep, the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He would send His only Son
To make a [b]wretch His treasure[/b]"
"Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a [b]wretch like me[/b]"

It is grace that saves, not evangelism ("Twas [b]grace that taught[/b] my heart to fear and [b]grace that fear relieved[/b]"). Evangelism's goal is to arrange the introduction. We have to keep it in the front of our minds that sinners are enemies of God, and therefore they are our enemies, too. However, we are then to obey God's commandment to love our enemies, just as He loves His (John 3:16). Any attempt to do the second without the first will lead to a false sentimental kind of love that falls far short of God's love. This will lead to us trying to protect a "good man from a bad God".

I love Vance Hanver's quote on John 3:16 -

Quote:
"If we love the world the way God loves the world, we'll never have to worry about loving the world the way we shouldn't"

I hope that helps.

2006/1/29 16:39Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

If a "Christian" is heckling me and I feel that they might actually be a Christian, and not just a religious person, I usually ask them, "Do you love for the Gospel to be preached?" If they say no, then surely they are not saved. If they say yes, then I ask them why they are promoting people going to hell by stopping me from preaching the Gospel to lost sinners. "Have you no compassion? What if someone out here is going to Hell? Don't they need to hear the Gospel? Well, at this very moment if they were to walk by they would not hear the Gospel, but hear you trying to stop the Words of Life."

If they really are a Christian, they should be convicted at the thought of stopping the Gospel from being preached. My opinion, it's very hypocritical to call yourself a Christian and be against or hinder the Gospel from being preached.

2006/1/30 10:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy