Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Don't Waste Your Life

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Don't Waste Your Life

[b]Don't Waste Your Life[/b]

So if you ask me tonight, “All right, tell us then, what is the unwasted life? What does it look like? What is the essence of the unwasted life?” I just mentioned it: A life that puts the infinite value of Christ on display for the world to see. The passion of the unwasted life is to joyfully display the supreme excellence of Christ by the way we live. Life is given to us so that we can use it to make much of Christ. Possessions are given to us so that by the way we use them, we can show that they are not our treasure, but Christ is our treasure. Money is given to us so that we will use it in a way that shows money is not treasure, but Christ is our treasure.

The great passion of the unwasted life is to magnify Christ. Here is the text that, perhaps more than any other, governs what life is really about: Philippians 1:20-21. Paul says, “It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.”

Paul's all-consuming passion was that in his life and in his death Jesus Christ be honored, that is, that Jesus Christ be made to look like the infinite treasure that he is. The reason you have life is to make Jesus Christ look great. There is one central criterion that should govern all the decisions you make in life and in death: Will this help make Jesus Christ look like the treasure he is?

The way we display the supreme worth of Jesus in our lives is by treasuring Christ above all things, and then making life choices that show that our joy is not finally in things or even in other people, but in Christ.

2005/12/28 17:43Profile
moreofHim

Re: Don't Waste Your Life

Thank you for posting this. I do want to make sure that I don't get credit for the writing- it is from John Piper's "Don't Waste Your Life" sermon which you can find here: [url=http://www.desiringgod.org/library/topics/suffering/dont_waste_your_life.html]Don't Waste Your Life[/url]

I have the book which came with a free DVD of him speaking at a campus crusade Christmas conference and it is awesome to see and hear him speak on this. Since then I have ordered the C.D.'s and given the books (with DVDs) to quite a few people.

Here's another one of my favorite parts:

"One of the great tragedies of American culture is the way billions of dollars are invested to persuade people my age to waste the rest of their lives. It goes by the name of retirement, and the entire message is: you've worked for it, now enjoy it. And what is the “it”? Twenty years of play and leisure. While the world sinks under the weight of millions of healthy older people fishing, cruising, puttering, playing golf, bridge, bingo, shuffle board, and collecting shells. All of this in preparation for meeting Jesus Christ face to face with nail scars in his hands."

“Only one life, twill soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last.”

In Him, Chanin

2005/12/28 18:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy