SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Will God ever visit men again like He has in the past?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
CyberCarbon

God does it everyday with those who are ready.

Remember Paul had to have the scales removed from his eyes. Likewise, we have to really get right with God. Humility, Repentance, Worship, and most of all Prayer. If you study the revivals of the past God used people who knew the bible, prayed without ceasing, repented daily, stayed humble while giving thanks and worshiped without restraint.

2005/12/31 14:53Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro tacklebox
it's not vain to think that we can experience the Lord as the saints of old did, though i doubt that many of us really want to experience such things.in my experience i've oft wondered what it was like for the Lord to use say Peter to heal people or raise the dead etc. i've expererienced the Lord moving in me and through me supernaturally but i've found that it's not been a thing i've sought Him for, not only that but i found that it was not a thing i really even desired so when it came it was a hard thing to grasp. As far as i know such supernatural things are not so much sought after as they are just dispensed of the Lord in his own mercy at His own time to whomever He decides by criteria which are His own. Paul was on his way to persecute him some Christians when the Lord met him on the damascus road, James and John were fishing when Christ called them so it seems to me that these things are not sought after but the Lord knows whom He shall use to affect these things.

2005/12/31 18:45Profile
relewis111

Pittsburgh,PA

Re: why

In a world where church's close on Christmas,no. Maybe in parts of the world where people are dying, being beaten, imprisoned for the love that is in their hearts for Christ Jesus, yes. The day of the Lord's return is ever near and has been for two thousand years. To be on fire for God isn't the same as it was then, and our enemy has poisoned and perverted our vision with a consistent plan and disciplined application. 'what soldier entangles himself with the affairs of this life that he may please his Commander?' I can't even give away the Word if I don't first chew it into easily digestible pablum for all the infant's, disguised as mature adult christians.
What is driving me? breaking me, reducing my stony heart to a tender epistle? Only the very hand of Almighty God, which humbles me to my knees and fills my eyes with tears at the sin of the world. :cry:

2005/12/31 23:58Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Why

Quote:
I know the danger of desiring an exerience more than God Himself, but as for me personally I have never experienced God supernaturally outside of Him taking this wretched heart and continuing to change it into one that desires to serve Him.

Had to pull this one back up for hopefully a closer examination. Think about the weight of what you said here brother. Everything else seems to pale in comparison... Perhaps it's just in more replication of the same that could be any greater.

Some great thoughts here as well

2006/1/1 1:36Profile
PaulWiglaf

Hartselle, Alabama

Re:

Yes, tacklebox, I join you in the concern of whether God wants to use His people in miraculous ways, not just by Christian aid centers. The answer that God has just pumped into the Church immense wealth so that it could bless the world--such is the answer I've received from a couple of my Church of Christ teachers at school---seems a bit egotistical and contrary to the founding of the Church, carrying the bell tune of what Romanism did in the past.

However, I'm more inclined to think that the reports of healings, miracles, and wonders done in other countries are not "emotional psychosomantics" but the move of God's Spirit. If it were just trickles of reports from overt liars or cheats, then, yes, I would have trouble; yet, such is not the case, for there are volumes of reports from ordinary people who receive no reknown for their testimonies.

Also, Christ's account where He says to a paralyzed man, "Your sins are forgiven" instead of "Be healed" (Matt. 9:1-8) let's me know that God's will goes beyond the spiritual ailments of a man, but also into the physical wounds as well.

Interestingly enough, a missionary from the Assemblies of God had a Shuar indian pastor testify of a similar healing; here's the link to the story: [url=http://www.junglemissionary.com/]Who's Your Daddy?[/url]
It'll be in the article section under that title.

Be blessed, Brethren; our Lord is a God of impossibilities: Who can say what He can/can't or will/won't do? I certaintly don't want to "limit the Holy One" like Israel of old.

May God be glorified in His people.

Another of His lambs,
Benjamin

2006/1/1 1:55Profile
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Re:

I am seeking the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Maybe this yearning for God I have been experiencing (a deep yearning) has been God drawing me closer so that I would begin asking Him for the baptism.
I don't seek it for any other reason than wanting my life to completely glorify Him. I don't want to be another lukewarm, minimal-impact Christian. I want to be used of God!
Please pray for me.

-Chris

2006/1/1 10:09Profile

Re: Jesus our love

Tacklebox

If I may give you a word of encouragment.

Just keep seeking Jesus, not gifts or tongues, or power or anything like that, and you WILL receive the holy Spirit.

Luke 12:32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

We are so irristable to God even David exclaimed in the psalms, Psalms 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?"

There is something in us that God longs for, that He even sent His only begotten Son into the world, not to condemn us but to bring us back into relationship with our heavenly Father.

LS

2006/1/1 14:00
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re:

I read in 1 Samuel 6 this morning and this stood out to me and have been chewing on it today...thought it went along with some of the thoughts here.

[i]"And they of Beth-shemesh were reaping their wheat harvest in the valley, and they lifted up their eyes, and saw the ark, and rejoiced to see it."[/i]

The ark had been captured 7 months earlier. Bad enough. Yes, the people were bummed. But what did they do in the meantime? This is where I take great comfort and hope in God...we find them out in the field working! The ark was gone, and they were going about their lives in a normal fashion.

Now, whether you think that is a good thing or a bad thing is beside the point. Because the point is that God, the presence of God, the ark of the covenant was coming to THEM! Divine visitation! We can never put God in a box, or limit His ways...they are far beyond ours.

God used a couple of cows who had never been yoked to usher His presence back to his people. Jesus used a lowly colt of a donkey that had never been ridden to carry Himself into Jerusalem.

God does the impossible, as someone commented earlier. His ways are not our ways. they are beyond our finding out.

Someone else made the comment that we shouldn't be looking for the gifts, just Jesus. I agree. i don't ever want to be guilty of coming to the Lord for answers, provision, healing, wisdom, guidance, discernment, vision, revival, etc. and not simply coming to the Lord for HIM! Him alone, and none other. nothing else.

Remember He said to Abram in Genesis 15, "Do not be afraid Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward."

Tozer said that we are to come to Him, "Meaning Him, and none of His goods."

Jesus said "Seek first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all of these things shall be added unto thee."

Don't allow yourself to be deceived by the simplicity that is in Christ.

Trust Him.

Simply Obey Him.

And watch...you never know when the cart will be coming around the corner.

"With men, this is impossible, but not with God. For with God all things are possible."

2006/1/1 17:05Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Chris,

You will only experience the power of the Holy Spirt in proportion to the love and obedience you give him. Ask Him to teach you to be able to hear His voice and see what happens! He will teach you if you are teachable; self will interfer with a vibrant walk with Him so you will need to do some crucifying every day!

Blessings to you in your walk with the LORD,
ginnyrose

2006/1/1 21:02Profile
Submarine

United States

Re: Will God ever visit men again like He has in the past?

Happy New Year all,

Before this thread goes off on a different (though not unimportant) topic, I don't think we're ready for a visitation from God. Many of us are not desperate for Him. I like what one poster said about how we should concern ourselves with visiting God, instead of the other way around.

I also want to bring back to the forefront the following quote from an earlier post:

"I know the danger of desiring an experience more than God Himself, but as for me personally I have never experienced God supernaturally outside of Him taking this wretched heart and continuing to change it into one that desires to serve Him."

It's so interesting that I stumbled across this thread before going to bed tonight. The last few days I have been thinking about the concepts of God's visitation and revival in America. I think that we (myself included) tend to have a type of fast-food mentality when it comes to a visitation from God. A supernatural experience with God is a legitimate and wonderful thing, but as the above quote suggests, the most incredible thing is a changed heart. I think that as we become more like Christ and as we impact our culture for Him in our individual lives and church communities, that will lay the groundwork for something more "supernatural."

I believe this is where the rubber meets the road. If we prepare the way, God will visit us. Experiences are not guaranteed to change people; just look at the Israelites in the desert.

Does that make sense to you guys? Please respond if it doesn't. Looking forward to your responses tomorrow morning... :-)

Blessings.
marc

2006/1/2 0:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy