SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : SPEAKING IN TONGUES???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: SPEAKING IN TONGUES???

Sorry Goldeneye,

Your posts are way too long, why don't you write a book and sell it on Amazon and save html space on SermonIndex, or better yet shorten your post, leave out the blah blah blah's and get to the point.

Thank you

Karl

2005/12/26 19:17
groh_frog

Re:

Hey, my bad. That article was given to me, and I didn't read all of it before posting it. Know that there's some things I don't agree with it. I won't remove it since it's there, but I should've read and checked all of it before posting.

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/26 19:19Profile

Re: why reason tongues away?

What I don't understand is why people try to reason away the speaking of an unknown tongue.

Yes what they spoke on the day of Pentecost was foriegn languages, but Paul mentions of speaking in an angelic language as well.

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Of couse there are those who might argue and say that Paul was just using examples not that he really spoke in tongues, yet it does say that he thanked God that he spoke in tongues more than anyone.

1 Corinthians 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Why do we reason this away when Paul says that we should not forbid it?

Some may say, well it all has ceased in the first century.

1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

If tongues has ceased then knowledge has long vanished away, and prophecy has failed along with it, yet we like to cling to the knowledge and we love to study out prophecy, but we don't want to touch tongues, because tongues is something we can't understand with our reasoning, therefore it's rejected.

Karl

2005/12/26 19:35
sj

Re:

Goldeneye,
Are you by chance a 7th Day Adventist?
Because you use all their arguments...exactly..

2005/12/28 11:50Profile

Re:

I have a father in law that speaks in tongues but he doesn't say hi to me when I greet him at the door.A matter of fact he doesn't even say hi to me when I greet him at my door!!! He hates women.But he speaks in tongues.He's not spirit filled,obviously.I do believe people get filled with the spirit maybe when their in worship or prayer.Most do not stay filled after their filled.Next week were ordaining him at his church.Oh, he'll say hi to me when were in the church and people are around,you bettcha! I'll even get a hug and he'll ask me how I'm doin? Make you want to throw up???

2005/12/28 13:35
groh_frog

Re:

There are also many who deceive many, pretending to be followers, pretending to be godly people, too. I might have some questions if a person can be "spirit filled and godly" at church, yet otherwise don't seem to have a love that you might expect from someone who knew Christ.

One of the problems with calling a specific spiritual gift proof of being spirit filled (and this happens with other things, also), is that you end up with people putting on a show for others. They may know nothing of the Spirit, yet they put on outward acts to make people think they do.

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/28 14:57Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Here is an article by Smith Wigglesworth on the subject.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=261]Gift of Tongues[/url]

2005/12/28 15:17Profile

Re: Is tongues to blame

Rebecca is tongues to blame?

It sure does make a good arguement, but I agree with you. My dad was filled with the holy Spirit and received a powerful anointing, but he never used it. Success was at his door and he ran with it, but he paid for it, and died young. He was cantankerous, selfish, mean, never happy, it made him mad when people laughed, he used to say, "What gives them the right to laugh while I am living in misery?"

Your father has some issues, but according to the gospels it is you that should be going to him and to hash this out and make peace.

Matthew 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar [when you come to God in prayer], and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee, 24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

I always thought, "man why do I have to do something that I didn't even start, it's his fault let him come to me", I have always found myself going to them, it's humbling, but in the end it will save them as well.

Just sharing some thoughts

Karl

2005/12/28 15:31
goldeneye

Re:

No sj I am not a 7th day adventist, I just posted this article I thought was interesting. It is from Amazing Facts, a 7th day publication.

2005/12/28 20:54Profile
goldeneye

Re:

Jonathan I would believe that the verse (1Co 14:4) (MKJV)
The one speaking in a tongue builds himself up, but he prophesying builds up a church. Indeed, this seems to me that one speaking in a tongue is doing so in an unknown tongue to any man.

As well I don't think all in the NT world spoke a world language. This is a quote from the article, "Acts 10:1 tells us that Cornelius was Italian, while Peter was a Jew and spoke Aramaic. History also tells us that the servants in a Roman home could be from anywhere in the world. Because there were obvious language barriers at this meeting, Peter likely began to preach through an interpreter. But when the Holy Ghost fell upon Cornelius and his household, the Jews with Peter could understand the Gentiles speaking in languages other than their native tongues. The record is that the Jews heard them "magnify God" in these languages. When later reporting this experience to the church leaders, Peter said, "The Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning." Acts 11:15, emphasis added.

I just posted this article just to get some discussion on the issue.

2005/12/28 21:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy