SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Experts urge sex lessons for 5 year-olds

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Experts urge sex lessons for 5 year-olds

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

CLASSROOM lessons about sex and relationships should be a routine part of the education of children as young as five so they can deal with today’s “increasingly sexualised society”, according to a government-commissioned report.
The unpublished study recommends an overhaul in the provision of sex education, which it concludes is currently ‘unfair, confused and damaging to pupils’ health and development’.

Compiled by the government’s independent advisory groups on teenage pregnancy and sexual health, the report proposes that ministers make personal, social and health education (PSHE) a statutory subject in all primary and secondary schools in England and Wales.

The sex and relationship education element of the subject would include much more in-depth discussion about sexual activity than the factual reproductive biology that pupils currently focus on in science lessons.

2005/12/6 12:44Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Experts urge sex lessons for 5 year-olds

Stuff like this is why the Church needs to stop being so shy about sexuality. If we don't start teaching our children about Biblical sexuality soon, they are going to get it from other highly undesirable sources. You would be shocked at what kids these days know about sex... and none of it is Biblical. The world recently put out the movie "40 year old virgin" and had a good laugh. The sad thing is that it probably won't be long until they think of making movies called "20 year old virgin."

2005/12/6 14:17Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

I agree with [b]KingJimmy[/b].

The problem is not with having sex education at the age of 5. The question is [i]who[/i] is doing the teaching. Christians should address this by an education informed by the Christian worldview.

2005/12/9 14:07Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Stuff like this is why the Church needs to stop being so shy about sexuality

Quote:
The question is who is doing the teaching.

I can't imagine not discussing these matters openly and frankly with children. It should be the goal of a parent to be the most reliable source of information regarding this topic for their own...as long as possible.

Which is exactly why broadcast and cable television really should not be in a household with children. Try explaining Christian morality to your kids after they've had a good laugh with Friends in the late afternoon.

One other tip my wife and I have had to learn...be prepared to call the parents of the little friends your children play with. Elementary grade children are propositioning each other these days and I have found the only way to deal with it is to bring the behavior out in the open...regardless of the offense.

MC

2005/12/9 14:27Profile
shazbot

USA

Re: Experts urge sex lessons for 5 year-olds

I feel very fortunate to have come from a Christian family where sex was openly discussed any time I had a question as a child. Secular society, besides being sick and twisted, is also coy and confusing about sexual issues and it was good to have some clear talk to straighten me out after talking with the kids in public school.

That being said, it's a very sad reflection on our society as a whole when first-graders need sexual education.

2005/12/9 15:10Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy