SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Do not Forget The Staple Diet

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

Do not Forget The Staple Diet

The following words from Spurgeon just popped up with a random photo. They grabbed my attention:

While most Reformed preachers prefer to nourish themselves and feed others on the meat of Pauline theological expression, dogmatic formulations, and the language of systematic doctrinal concepts (none of which is to be slighted), we must never forget that the staple diet of biblical preaching also includes the carbohydrates, starches, and fats of metaphors, similes, illustrations, and other forms of imagery that truly “turn ears into eyes.”

Unturned cakes (Hos. 7:8) and lukewarm water that make one want to vomit (Rev. 3:16) communicate far more than lengthy discourses on the marks and effects of spiritual compromise.

The pains of childbearing (Gal. 4:19, Rom. 8:22) say what words cannot, as the preacher lays before his people his own agony for their regeneration and the yearning of earth for its own deliverance from the miserable effects of the curse.

From the models of the Scriptures, the greatest preacher Jesus Christ, and the best examples of preachers in church history, we who preach today must, indeed, learn to “turn ears into eyes.”
by Spurgeon

My thoughts: If Scripture does not convict our own hearts (ie: be our staple diet), then we aren't going to be very convincing to anyone else.
Diane

2005/12/3 10:59Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Do not Forget The Staple Diet

Quote:
The pains of childbearing (Gal. 4:19, Rom. 8:22) say what words cannot, as the preacher lays before his people his own agony for their regeneration and the yearning of earth for its own deliverance from the miserable effects of the curse.

Put that on my grave stone. That express's miles of words written here more than anything I have ever attempted. Diane, you are bring forth some precious stones here.

Gal 4:19 [i]My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you[/i],

Had just refered to this earlier this morning in a letter to a brother.

2005/12/3 13:07Profile
Graftedbranc

Quote:
The pains of childbearing (Gal. 4:19, Rom. 8:22) say what words cannot,

Amen,

Thank God that Paul Himself did not limit himself to purely theological expositions. But rather said, "you know what mannor of men we were among you for your sake".

He was what he preached, He was a pattern to them that believed. The Christ he preached was the Christ he lived and could say with assurance, "those things you see in me, do likewise."

Graftedbranch

2005/12/3 13:25Profile

Quote:
Unturned cakes (Hos. 7:8) and lukewarm water that make one want to vomit (Rev. 3:16) communicate far more than lengthy discourses on the marks and effects of spiritual compromise.

This is very encouraging..... I'm no story-teller, but, can stretch to the odd similie or metaphor, and love picture language. Thanks, Diane.

2005/12/5 7:20

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy