SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Jaci's Divorce

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Prissy20

Jaci's Divorce

Unless one of them committed adultery, then there are no biblical grounds for divorce. I believe, though, divorcing because of ongoing physical abuse is not wrong.

In this situation, I don't know what happened. I am very disapponted that Jaci got a divorce, especially after a scant two years. I guess we'll probably never know what really happened. Quite frankly it's none of our business since we are neither friends, family members, or members/leaders of her local church. I pray that reconciliation will happen. If not, it's Jaci's life, and ultimately she will decide, then face God at the end.

Should her career as a musical artist be over because of this? Certainly not! Her music reflects her life, so if you disagree, then don't buy it. And if you are a compassionate, forgiving person, you should still give her music a chance and find out if it's good music.

2005/12/3 4:52Profile
dohzman

Re: Jaci's Divorce

With all due respect, when a minister falls by reason of public sin or even the very appearence of it (ie--divorce), there are processes by which a minister (in most denominations, and I might say found in the word of God) has to proceed inorder to minister from a pulpit again. In the same way our dear sister should have to conform to the same. In light of the world wide exposure she has in her ministry, she will have to grapple with the reality of allowing the christian public into her private life, at least enough to remove stumbling blocks for many who will be hurt from such an action (reguardless of who's right or who's wrong in the divorce cenario). Church leadership is held by God to a higher standard of accountability both inward and outward, and therefore the bible calls us to not enter into public teaching/preaching ministries without first counting the cost. And yes, hers and thoughs in the whole of christian music are in a preaching/teaching type ministry. Much like Amy Grant(?-before the divorce and re-marriage) who believes her actions are a light thing and acceptable to the God she was suposed to glorify in her life and body. Her biggest lement has been the lack acceptance among her once strong following. She should have first considered the God she will have to face on that day when the books are opened.

Now I know what you'll say, who am I to judge. But the word says the spiritual man judges everything. In the midst of our judgements we offer grace and mercy. But grace and mercy are not to exclude truth and the application of the principle of God's word, to exclude these would be to make a lie. :-(

2005/12/3 8:32Profile
groh_frog

Re:

I agree with dohzman on the fact that a person who's a leader/public figure representing our Churches has a higher responsibility to live righteously. James warns us about how few should become teachers, because those will be judged more strictly. I believe that it's the same in this: her music influences many, especially younger people in our Churches, and she is a very public figure with many eyes on her.

Now, we all fall, but I think she has a responsibility to humbly step down for a while. She needs to show that there's more than just words to her faith, especially when it's because she's messed up.

On the note that none of us are her judge, that's true. It's funny that these "hollywood stars" can be such a big deal. But weather they incite gossip or not, any public figure has a responsibility to uphold, just like any other Christian, but more so because that is a public representation of our Savior.

I don't want to gossip in this. I don't know her, or her situation. But, we can always learn from eachothers' successes and failures. Jaci, we pray for you, and that you'd continue to act as a gracious leader, doing what's right, even if things have gone wrong.

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/3 9:33Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Jaci's Divorce

Hi Prissy20...

Thank you for your post!

You're correct in that none of us really knows what happened in this situation. There are Biblical grounds for divorce (Matthew 19; I Corinthians 7). It is very possible that Jaci Velasquez' situation falls into this category.

God does indeed [u]hate[/u] divorce. But He deeply [u]loves[/u] both of those who became divorced. Christ is always there, with His arms outstretched, waiting for the divorcee to come to Him.

I know that we can all agree to pray for Ms. Velasquez through this situation. May her heart be encouraged to seek Him like never before!

"[i]Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder[/i]." - Luke 20:18

"[i]Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light[/i]." - Matthew 11:28-30

:-)

2005/12/3 10:36Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy