SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Methodist Class Meetings

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Methodist Class Meetings

I wonder does anyone know a good source for the content of the original Methodist class meetings. I need not just their origin but what the requirements were for those in the class and what order the classes took. I am looking into this along with some other things to start some real small groups in the church. I want to incorporate some of the original intent of the Methodists (along with others)but I can't seem to find a good source -- one with examples. If someone could help me that would be great.

Blessings.

2005/11/24 20:35Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Methodist Class Meetings

Brother,

My heart and vision are exactly in the same place. I found a resource www.cmaresources.com that have these life applcation cards which model the wesley model abit. Also I know there are a few other good books on the actually wesley meetings model. I will try and dig around. I would be curious to hear what anyone else recommends.

2005/11/25 9:01Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Methodist Class Meetings

Here's a few links, hope these may be of some help.

[url=http://www.cresourcei.org/creedclass.html]General Rules for Class Meetings[/url]

[url=http://www.fwponline.cc/v9n1long.html]Guidelines for Class Meetings[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2005/11/25 10:35Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Wow, thanks Brother Ron. Have you ever used these in small groups? Something to pray about I believe.

2005/11/25 10:40Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Wow, thanks Brother Ron. Have you ever used these in small groups? Something to pray about I believe.

No I haven't but I've been thinking lately about the need for follow-up with those who come forward at altar calls. According to a Barna survey, a majority of the people who make a decision for Christ in one of our evangelical churches are not to be found in any church context within eight weeks of making that decision. I have found this to be true in my own church.

I believe something like these class meetings may be of some help in this area. I think these meetings could themsleves be evangelistic in nature in addition to preserving the fruit of evangelism in the church and weeding out false fruit. I definitely think there's something of merit in this, something to pray about indeed.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/11/25 11:12Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re: Class Metings

I have recently read a book entitled "John Wesley's Class Meetings-A Model for Making Disciples" by D. Michael Henderson.

I highly recommend this book. It is very tangible and practical. Much to pray about in this book as to how it can be gleaned from and applied in the lives of those we are seeking to disciple.

ISBN# 0-916035-73-5

2005/11/25 11:50Profile
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re:

Thanx everyone. If anyone else knows something -- let me know.

Blessings.

2005/11/25 15:01Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Has anyone actually used something akin to this??

We're praying about doing something similar. I'm curious if anyone has actually tried this.

I think it's excellent and I sense we will begin this soon but it would interesting to hear someone's personal perspectives on using this type of approach.

It requires complete honesty between believers and between each believer and God. I sense that is lacking in the modern church, at least in my limited experience.

2005/11/27 21:34Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Has anyone actually used something akin to this??

Quote:
I think it's excellent and I sense we will begin this soon but it would interesting to hear someone's personal perspectives on using this type of approach.

I am actually praying about getting an simple model of this all drawn up and have an downloadable package for people to use this type of ministry model. I am going to do some research on it and pray and get a simple model of it prepared! I would like to impliment it also in an church where I am at possibly! Maybe I should do that first before I promote it on SI :-P

2005/11/27 22:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy