SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Prayer Meeting

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Prayer Meeting

Revival, Revival, Revival, I hear it all the time. I hear people talk about it, but the cause of it isn't something 'crazy' its just a heart's desire to see God's True Kingdom to come and invade everyone's life, ours and everyone around us.

Something (another thing) that has been turning in my heart, is a prayer meeting within my church.

I'm not as firm as I need to be. I feel the need of a 3 hour prayer meeting every Saturday. One brother said '3 hours? what are you going to do for 3 hours?' I said 'Pray, seek God on behalf of His Kingdom advancing; we wont see God manifesting in His true from of Miracles, Love, and Purity without petitioning Him until it happens'.

(the second part, just kinda came to me, like JUST now, .lol...)

I feel, that the people within my church want to see the power of God fall, but not willing to put in the time to see it come to pass.

Does any of you have 'good quotes' 'good verses' 'good books' that could help this.

I will be using a brother in the Lord (that is with the Lord) who said something like 'If we can't pray with God for an hour (or so), then how difficult will it be when we go to heaven'. I have the exact quote in one of Greg's newletters.

So, any advice. Scriptures/Quotes/Books anything would be nice. Any good worship cd's? 8-)

2005/11/20 1:40
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re: Prayer Meeting

Brother just take the word with you and follow the Holy Spirit's leadings.

I wouldn't make it into a certain length of time, just let the Spirit guide the meeting. It's much more difficult than it sounds and I hope I don't sound flippant.

We have a lengthy prayer meeting on Friday night but we just follow the Spirit and we somehow know when it's finished. Sometimes we pray a couple of hours and sometimes all night.

All you need is a willing heart and the Holy Spirit. Walk in the Spirit brother...

2005/11/20 9:36Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Prayer Meeting

Quote:
I'm not as firm as I need to be. I feel the need of a 3 hour prayer meeting every Saturday. One brother said '3 hours? what are you going to do for 3 hours?' I said 'Pray, seek God on behalf of His Kingdom advancing; we wont see God manifesting in His true from of Miracles, Love, and Purity without petitioning Him until it happens'.

:-) Wonderful YeshuaIsMyGd...

Hide the clock 8-) It may well be that it could turn into 6 hours or 1 hour of real intimacy... It is to lose track of time and not something that can be manufactured, surely you know that...

Some random thoughts;

[i]"They waited for the Holy Spirit to move them to speak, sing or pray; and if no one felt led of the Spirit to take part in the meeting, the meetings were spent in silence and prayer, and would break up without a word being spoken."[/i]

Referring to George Fox and the Quakers.

Do you have "The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds"? It is ironically enough rather cheap ...I'll leave that alone... But there is a treasure house of thought regarding prayer.

The mind reels here and would likely end up bombarding you with things. Prayer is just so vast and incredibly important, I will be praying for your praying! The possibilities brother...
There is so many ways you might approach this, but that word alone might be key;

"Possibilities" If your approach is with that in mind, to come expectant and maybe even prepared with an outline yet just as ready to chuck it on a moments notice as things develop. Read scripture aloud or ask if anyone has a particular burden or verses that have captured their thoughts of late and expound on them not perhaps as a study mechanism but as prayers themselves. Maybe I am trying to say ... freedom, not having to hold to a set of guidelines other than order and giving place to each other. Alluding back to the above mentioned meetings, silence! There is a beauty there as well. Spontaneity. Musing on the Holiness of God... You could read through for instance Isaiah (A section) or Daniels prayer [i]slowly[/i] pausing and allowing the words to sink in and mingled with the worship that comes out in thanksgiving to God not to mention the convictions and admission of sin... Reminded of the young man praying in the barn before the Revival in Lewis broke out;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When God stepped down, suddenly, men and women all over the parish were gripped by the fear of God.

God are my hands clean?
Is my heart pure?

The moment that that happened in the barn, a power was let loose in Barvas that shook the whole of Lewis.
God stepped down.
The Holy Spirit began to move among the people and the minister writing about what happened on the following morning said this:
'You met God on meadow and moorland, you met Him in the homes of the people. God seemed to be everywhere.'

What was that?
Revival?
Revival!
Not of evangelist's, not of special effort, not anything at all organized on the basis of human endeavor. But an awareness of God that gripped the whole community so much so that work stopped.

I can remember once within 24 hours addressing 8 meetings. Crowded churches.

There was a dance in progress that night and while this young man was praying in the isle the power of God moved into that dance and the young people over a hundred of them fled from the dance as though fleeing from a plague and they made for the church.

When I endeavored to get up into the pulpit I found the way blocked with young people who had been at the dance. When I went into the pulpit I found a young woman, a graduate of our Aberdeen University, who was at the dance and she is lying on the floor of the pulpit crying: "Is there mercy for me? Is there mercy for me? Is there mercy for me?"

God was at work.

Well that meeting continued until 4 o'clock in the morning.

“Mr.Campbell, there must be anything between 2 and 300 people at the police station. They’re gathered there and some are on their knees, now I can't understand this...”
Now he wasn't in the church, you see. But here a crowd of men and women, from a neighboring village, 5 and 6 miles away were so moved by God that they found themselves moving to the police station because the constable there was a God-fearing and well-saved man. They were there.

And this young man begged of me to go along to the police station, and I went along. And I shall never, never forget what my ears heard and my eyes saw that morning. Young men were kneeling by the roadside, I think just now of a group of half a dozen.
One of them under the influence of drink and his old mother kneeling beside him and saying "O Willie, Willie are you coming at last?!"

"Mr. Campbell something wonderful has happened. Revival has broken out."

And Willie today is a parish minister and from the group of young men, who sought the Lord that night, there are nine in the ministry.

“Will you come to the door and see the crowd that's here?” 11 O'clock mind you, 11 O'clock, and I went to the door and there must have been a congregation of between 6 and 700 people gathered round the church. And within a matter of minutes the church was crowded, at a quarter to 12. Now where did the people come from? How did they know that a meeting was in progress in the church? Well I cannot tell you.

But I know this that from village and hamlet the people came. Were you to ask some of them today 'what was it that moved you?' They couldn't tell you. Only that they were moved by a power that they could not explain and the power was such as to give them to understand and see that they were hell-deserving sinners! And of course the only place they could think of where they might find help was at the church.

Now that is a fact that cannot be disputed. God was everywhere and because of this awareness of God the churches were crowded. Crowded. Through the day right on through the night 'till 5 and 6 o'clock in the morning. In revival, time does not exist.

Some of the mighty movement in the midst of this gracious visitation, you know that the drinking house was closed that night, never been opened since. The men who used to drink there and spend the evening there are now praying in our prayer meeting. It is because they enter into the fullness! It was because the people of Lewis grasped that truth that we can say today we know practically nothing of backsliding from that gracious movement of years ago.

My dear people do you good folk understand what revival means? Have you a conception of what it means to see God working?
The God of miracles.
Sovereign, supernatural.
Moving in the midst of men and hundreds swept into the Kingdom.
Oh that we might see it, that we might see it.

Duncan Campbell
Taken from The Revival Hymn
(BTW, have this transcript in Word and Notepad format if anyone would like it, shoot me an email)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Intercession for others, for the saints abroad, those under persecution, for pastors that they might have unction, for the street preachers the same, for widows and orphans and the poor...

For revival indeed. Applaud your efforts brother, 3 hours can melt away into minutes...

2005/11/20 10:52Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Something (another thing) that has been turning in my heart, is a prayer meeting within my church.

I have started an prayer meeting for revival at my old presbyterian church. It has been going for 2 weeks now every sunday from 6-7 o-clock just before the evening service that goes from 7-8. I am believing that God will revive the church and make it very fruitful in the downtown area. I am also praying for a larger move of God in the city of Toronto (2 million people).

There has been some resistance but overall it has been pretty good so far, expect spiritual warfare if you are going to seriously go into this. Also start small and expand from there. I am starting with 1 hour once a week and I am hoping to have it expand to 2 hours and then also to another night in the week, and so on.

2005/11/20 11:52Profile

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
Hide the clock 8-) It may well be that it could turn into 6 hours or 1 hour of real intimacy... It is to lose track of time and not something that can be manufactured, surely you know that...

Oh, the CLOCK WILL BE HIDDEN :-P I can tell already people are like 'huh 3 hours? your crazy'

I know at first it will be worship/prayer but then I want it to be just prayer and the Flow of the Spirit. I know it will take time. I'll try to keep you all updated.

But, I hope I'm 'surprised' but the showing ;-) and right now we probly won't have the first meeting because the other person who is helping me (hopefully) is praying about this.

She needs to hear from God on this. And then we have to meet about it then go to pastor about the 'who what where why, how much..etc..'

8-)

2005/11/21 11:45
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I asked my Pastor about starting a prayer meeting and he told me, "Sounds great, I'll put you in charge." :-) At first I was like... uh.. uh.. ok... But of course that only makes sense that I am over it because it was my burden to have one.

It has been going on for 1.5-2 months. Right now it is going slow but it is slowly picking up. More people are coming. I usually speak before the prayer starts, either that or show something that would be beneficial to everyone to see- such as the Torched for Christ film I mentioned in that thread. As far as time... well. One week I was really discouraged. I spoke only for a short time because all I felt that God was having me do that week was remind some people about responsibilities of a Christian, not really a whole message. I went down to pray and came up.. I was on the only person in the church! I was thinking, " what is going on here!" The next week the Lord laid a message on my heart that pierced through everyone that showed up (yes even me, wait especially me!) like a hot knife through butter. It was called "Sleeping for Sorrow." I preached about how the disciples were sleeping for sorrow according to Luke's account of the Garden of Gethsemane. How they were sorrowful, but still sleeping, not praying. That livened the prayer time up! People prayed much more fervently and longer.

If you are in charge of the prayer meeting, if you feel led, speak to the people some before going into prayer. If the Lord lays it on your heart to do that, your burden of prayer will either scare them off of it will rub off on them.

2005/11/21 12:05Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Quote:
I have started an prayer meeting for revival at my old presbyterian church. It has been going for 2 weeks now every sunday from 6-7 o-clock just before the evening service that goes from 7-8.

Praise God, this is good. We do the same thing and it's been beneficial.

I think when it's done in the Spirit, it can be very convicting or encouraging depending on where our heart is at in a given time. It can be a time to "get real" with both God and the brethren or it can be like the Pharisees.

I've been blessed beyond measure, particularly when the young ones pray (the young children). Their prayers are oftentimes the most convicting because they have no agenda.

2005/11/21 12:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy