SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "recovery version" of the bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 "recovery version" of the bible

http://online.recoveryversion.org/

I wanted to get this out for discussion. I have had a few people let me know about this version of the bible and I did abit of research on it.

"The Bible that the Local Church offers in the United States is called the Recovery Version [4] of the New Testament and is unique, both for its theology and for its massive doctrinal commentary, which exceeds the actual biblical text on many pages. Study note #5 for Revelation 2:9 reads: "Roman Catholicism and Protestantism, as well as Judaism, fall into this category [opposing God], having become an organization of Satan as his tool to damage God's economy.""

"The Bibles had been identified as Recovery Version New Testaments which are published by the Living Stream Ministry, the publishing-arm of the Local Church movement. The extensive footnotes written by Witness Lee and the Scripture text found in this edition are supportive of the beliefs and practices of the movement. Footnotes from the Book of Revelation state that denominational groups are spiritual fornicators for taking on names other than that of Christ (Baptist, Presbyterian, Anglican, etc), that Christianity is degraded for taking on these denominational names, that denominational groups are the harlot daughters of the Whore of Babylon, and that Protestantism, Roman Catholicism, and Judaism have become an organization used by Satan as a tool to damage God's economy"

2005/11/15 16:10Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re: "recovery version" of the bible

bro Greg

Quote:
Footnotes from the Book of Revelation state that denominational groups are spiritual fornicators for taking on names other than that of Christ (Baptist, Presbyterian, Anglican, etc), that Christianity is degraded for taking on these denominational names, that denominational groups are the harlot daughters of the Whore of Babylon, and that Protestantism, Roman Catholicism, and Judaism have become an organization used by Satan as a tool to damage God's economy"

this struck me. Those that followed Christ were first called Christians at Antioch and yet now there are so many different denomintations...I never thought about this but after having been bought by Christ's very blood, somehow going about by another name just doesn't sit well with me...i know it may not seem like much but if indeed this is spiritual fornication then we need to repent of it real quick.

it also calls into question how much of what we hold so dear in terms of orthodox Christianity is really of God? also are we prepared to put our souls on the line for said beliefs? personally i'm not willing to go down upholding some tradition or belief that may be centuries old or considered orthodox if the Lord reveals to me that it's not of Him...not getting into that fight.

i pray that the Lord looses us from whatever bondages are upon us under the guise of orthodoxy, tradition or any other such thing. AMEN

2005/11/15 19:10Profile
dohzman

Re:

Eph 2:20 being built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the chief corner stone
2Ti 2:19 Howbeit the firm foundation of God standeth, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his: and, Let every one that nameth the name of the Lord depart from unrighteousness.

I don't know who witness lee is personally and haven't read any of his stuff, however after reading the above I'd guess he's the head of a cult. Generally they start by adding to the bible "thier books" on how to understand thier doctrine, usually they explain it outside of the Bible and then they modify the Bible much like the JW's inorder to make it(The Bible) fit thier doctrine. I 'd be cautious of starying to far from the teachings of the early church fathers. As for denominational names? God still looks at the heart and we are still on a faith walk.

2005/11/15 19:49Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
after reading the above I'd guess he's the head of a cult

bingo.

2005/11/15 20:04Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

bros Greg and Dohzman
i have a question and i ask it in the Spirit of building up the kingdom of God. How is it that when an alternate view of scripture/God we have a tendancy to think it's wrong. This is not to say that everything else we har is right by any means but perhaps we also should exercise caution before deciding that one is a cult leader? What if we ourselves have it wrong and miss out on what God has for us by holding onto something we've long believed which perhaps if we sought the Lord on we'd find it to be wrong/baseless.

i also never thought of this before till the first post i put on this thread but i'll say it again, if we are bought by Christ's blood, a very very...no the dearest price of all it seems to me that it's not a good idea to wear any other name than that of Christian. When people ask me what faith i am (i have drealocks so people assume i'm rastafarian but that's another story...) or some other such heathen so i tell them i'm a Christian. i'm asked "of what denomination" and of late the Lord has been impressing me no reply "Christian" i think i am beginning to see why...it seems to me that various denominations have elements of truth in them about God and yet deny certain things about Him too at the same time.

i guess this may not all seem like a big deal but somehow i sense in my spirit that there is more to it than it appears...at any rate this is what the Lord has been showing me and i just wanted to share. may the Lord continue to bless you dear brothers and may we continue to hold one another up in prayer that He may be revealed to us in even greater measure to His glory. AMEN!

2005/11/16 13:54Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

Ironman,

I would say that denomination is not as deep as you think it is. When I (a North American Baptist) talk to a Presbyterian, I am not saying that his faith is incorrect. I am not warring over my affiliation. However, that affiliation will have a major bearing on quite a few of my doctrinal stances. This should not be confused with core issues - we share a same faith and believe in one Supreme God. My belief in my God shares very, very many points with my brethren in the Assemblies of God, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and many other denominations not limited to but hinging on that Jesus is indeed the Son of God, he died for our sins and rose again on the third day, and shall come again for his bride.

But, I have a tendency to lean towards a free will argument whereas many lean towards a sovereignty standpoint. What is the proper way to respect the Sabbath according to the New Testament church, etc.

My denomination is not the name I would go by. In a world (ala the western world) where Christianity is known, expressed, and quite explored, simply saying I am a Christian is a bit like standing in front of the Smithsonian with cowboy boots and spurs. Alright. Certain denominations have a tendency to carry with them certain "interpretations" of the bible. We are allowed to disagree where the doctrine is not explicit, although within reason.

This is not a bad thing. I can walk into a Methodist church across the country and hopefully feel as welcome as if I were at home with the group where I hold membership. But by stating my denominational preference, I also state a little bit about my theological training as well as (to some degree) my leanings.

To say that expressing myself to another Christian with disregard to his ability to understand that I may hold disagreeing viewpoints is about as disrespectful as spitting in a bowl of soup in a buffet line while he's standing behind me. Saying that doing this is of the devil is about like saying since I walk into a church in northern Mississippi that I should go to hell. This is why these footnotes are a bit troublesome.

Maybe you could think of it like flags. If I were to fly a banner, what flags would I fly where? On my flagpole right outside my door, highest flies the flag of my country (due its rights and respects). Next flies the flag flown by Christian missionaries for centuries. Behind that flies the state flag. If I were to display a banner of my spiritual self, what would fly there? First and foremost, the flag of my King, that same flag flown second to my country's. Next would fly the flag of a North American Baptist. Behind that I would probably fly a flag with the emblem of several other denominations. This is a bit of a nautical analogy, so hopefully it goes over ok.

2005/11/16 16:39Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Ironman,

Thank you for that post. My post of "bingo" was immature and not in the spirit of God. I really do not want to write off the witness lee movement at all I am sorry that my comments went down in that direction. I think there is some good fruit from that movement. But at the same time there definetly are "cultish" tendencies from that movement which are abit scary. But I know there is much good divine truth in it also.

thanks for your boldness and forthrightness to post what you did. May we seek the Spirt of unity in Christ Jesus our Lord.

2005/11/16 20:18Profile
dohzman

Re:

If you re-read what I posted I was laying a formula, if you will, on discerning a cult. Cults follow a pattern and from the little I've read of with this group its all the same. The word of God says the spiritual man judges all things. While symatics is one thing, to call the organized churches devices of satan because they have the label or name baptist, methodist, etc... is a pretty broad stoke of the pen and shows that they have some serious issues they really need to address before they can presume to even claim to be used of God in any real impactifull way, Ps 133 Behold how good an pleasant it is when brethren dwell together in unity.....

We can have differences in some doctrine and still serve the same Jesus. When ever one sect claims divinely appointed authority over,.... better watch out! EDIT[
Reading thier doctrinal statements will be like drinking poison. If you buy into it you'll find that you will increasingly seperate from other true christians and eventually stray into all sorts of error that will eventually shipwreck your faith.
As to the groups piety and sincerity? I know Jw's, Muslims, krishna's etc.. that are very devoted and show an amazing amount of outward piety, but they too need to be Born again or they also will go straight to Hell for all eternity without Jesus Christ! Harsh? Truth! This group is a cult and the Lord will show it for what it is as the day reveals all things at the rising of the sun! Just watch.]

After reading the bible reference at the top of the heading I decided to look into witness lee and found that witness lee's ministry has little to bear inon the statements of that flawed translation of the Word of God. So I had to edit my statements but left them intact so as to keep the integrity of the thread.

2005/11/16 21:23Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

bro Greg
i thank the Lord for your honesty concerning this and the realization that we should look for the good fruit in these things and do away with what isn't of God. the only way to do that it to take it all before God and gave Him show us what is right and what is wrong and also to have Him examine our own beliefs to see if they are in line with what He would have us do.

Let us seek the Spirit of Unity in out Saviour Christ Jesus indeed. AMEN!

2005/11/17 0:29Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

PTywama3
thank you for your response!

Quote:
I would say that denomination is not as deep as you think it is. When I (a North American Baptist) talk to a Presbyterian, I am not saying that his faith is incorrect. I am not warring over my affiliation. However, that affiliation will have a major bearing on quite a few of my doctrinal stances. This should not be confused with core issues - we share a same faith and believe in one Supreme God. My belief in my God shares very, very many points with my brethren in the Assemblies of God, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and many other denominations not limited to but hinging on that Jesus is indeed the Son of God, he died for our sins and rose again on the third day, and shall come again for his bride.

i am beginning to feel that denomiational affilication is if probably more significant than we think. if we share the same core values ok that's cool but what about the things we differ on? more importantly how does what i believe about XYZ and what you believe about XYZ compare to what the Lord taught the early church through the apostles? that's what's the Lord has me concerned about.the Lord is not the author of confusion, satan is. the early church was unified not just on core values but also doctrines also. are the things that differentiate us Christians into different denominations rooted in the word of God or traditions of men? indeed Christ shall return for an unblemished bride, one which is unified in every aspect, doctrine, belief, purpose and love for God. at the church's inception all they were known as were Christians and the way i see it is the enemy came in and divided and conquered. Paul said to the Galatians in Galations 1 vs 6-9:

[b]6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.[/b]

i guess at some point someone preached another gospel to someone and it stuck and then it happened again and again resulting in all this confusion. what the Lord is impressing on me is that it shouldn't have turned out like this but we deviated from the original instructions God gave us through the apostles. in doing that we gave the enemy a free pass to come in and divide and conquer.

i don't think that the footnote implies that if you walk into a church in northen MS (if i may use your example) you'd go to hell, but rather if you adhere to the beliefs of said church which are not of God you're in rebellion to God and rebellion against God is not a thing we should be involved in.

Paul wrote to timothy in 2 Tim 1-4 the following:

[b]1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.[/b]

How much then of the things thar separate us into denominations are such fables? This is not to say that all things in the different denomniations are untrue because there is some truth in most of them but there is also fallacy and we have to sort through it all, or rather have God show us the way so we don't hold onto foolish doctrines which have no basis in the bible. if Paul wrote this about such and such and Martin Luther let's say wrote something different, who should we follow then? the Lord had me come back and ad this...if Martin Luther is wrong in light of what God taught us through the Holy Spirit through the apostles is wrong, then to hell with that bit which is out of line with God (coz it's from the enemy and that's where it belongs) not everything Luther said or wrote is wrong and what it truly of God we should hold onto. this applies to anyone else.

The Lord is also impressing on me that we should investigate the roots of our doctrines and if they are not backed up by the word of God or go against it, then to hell with them lest we stir the anger of God by holding onto them against His instruction.

2005/11/17 1:34Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy