Discussion Forum : General Topics : Vance Havner books

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Vance Havner books

Has anyone ready any books by Vance Havner? Is there a full list of his books available? I am really wanting to get a few to read and want to start in the right places.

2005/11/14 20:36Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Vance Havner books

I have an small paperback: "the Best of Vance Havner" It is great and there are alot of great quotes I would like to get more volumes of his.

Here are a few good quotes by Havner:

"A deeper experience with God is no guarantee of a call to a bigger church."

"The early Christians did not adjust to the situation, thy adjusted the situation."

"Are we standing on Promises or just sitting on the promises."

"Once we stood amazed at Jesus... now we sit amused."

"Prophets usually are crowned with mud more than medals."

[b]"Man never had more artifical illumination and less true light."[/b]

2005/11/14 21:25Profile

Re:

I have a great deal of Havner books in my library. They are absolutely awesome! I just searched abe.com and bought the ones I found. His classic book is "Hearts Afire".

Tozer let Havner speak at his church once and said to him afterwards, "finally, a man I don't have to clean up after!"

Billy Graham even said that no other man in his generation promoted genuine revival more then Havner.

And Havner was one of Leonard Ravenhills favorite preacher and author.

Havner was sharp yet gentle, clever yet simple. Tozer quoted Havner in one of his books. The quote was, "A committee is a bunch of incompetents, established by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary." -Vance Havner

2005/11/15 2:02
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Does anyone every get heartsick about all the great men of God that no one ever knew about? Ask most modern Christians and they couldn't tell you 10-20 dead preachers, let alone about their own denominational background.

I run into so many methodist that say they sin everyday. Then I ask them about Wesley's complete sanctification doctrine. They have no idea what I am talking about. Or about open-air preaching! It's amazing they will stand with pride and claim that they are such and such, but they don't really know what such and such is!

2005/11/15 9:40Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I am still interested in getting an exaustive list of the books he published. The one sad thing is alot of them seem to be out of print and people are charging quite abit for them.

2005/12/23 1:30Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
I run into so many methodist that say they sin everyday. Then I ask them about Wesley's complete sanctification doctrine.

If just today's methodists know about what Wesley preached... In my country most of the evangelical christians are methodist and I have chance to see what is happening over there. It's interesting that they are quoting him in their books and brochures, but what and how they are quoting him I don't know... When I read the biography of Wesley and read about the reasons of dismising the members of the church, definitely many today will not be members.
Actually before some month ago I talked with one brother from the methodist church and he told me that is now forbiden to dismiss member from their church! Even great part of them are just baptised there and nothing more. Maybe they are going to church from Christmas to Easter.

But thats not so scaring, what will happen one day when God will say: "You are dismissed from the real church" :-o (if you have been in)

2005/12/23 5:51Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Greg, you could go to www.bookfinders.com and get a list of the books written by Vance Havner. There will be the list of sellers selling them as well. Or you could try ebay. The prices will vary a lot at either places (didn't check books written by Mr. Havner lately - I love his quotes! but this is the way it is with other books and I have purchased quite a few.)

I wish you success in your search.

ginnyrose

2005/12/23 11:27Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Did I ever laugh when I read that quote!

(The quote was, "A committee is a bunch of incompetents, established by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary." -Vance Havner)

Which reminds me of a quote told by an instructor at the Bible School I attended forty years ago: "If there would be an airplane full of ....(name your denomination) fly and they would have a collision in the air, they would get together and have a committee formed on who should do what before they hit the ground!" I related this to our pastor one day and for some reason he did not think it was funny. But we students sure did!

Another quote by Vance Havner: "I used say the people are going to the dogs, but I quit saying that out of respect to the dogs!"

Still smiling,
ginnyrose

2005/12/23 11:34Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Thanks ginnyrose for the suggestion here is a list from bookfinder.com:

All the days
The Best of Vance Havner
By the Still Waters
Don't Miss Your Miracle
In Times Like These
It Is Time
Jesus Only
Lord of Whats Left
Messages on Revival
Moments of Decision
Pepper 'n Salt
Pleasant Paths
Rest Awhile
Road to Revival
The Secret of Christian Joy
Though I Walk Through the Valley
The Treasury of Vance Havner
The Vance Havner Notebook
When God Breaks Through: Sermons on Revival
All the Days: A Daily Devotional
All the Days: a Daily Devotional from One of America's Most Beloved Evangelists
Amos The Prophet with a Modern Message
Blood, Bread and Fire
BLOOD, BREAD, AND FIRE the Christian's Three-fold Experience
By the Way: Meditations of a Christian Pilgrim
Consider Him
Consider Jesus and Other Brief Devotionals
Day By Day
Day by Day: 366 Devotions
Day By Day: A Book of Bible Devotions
Fourscore Living Beyond the Promise
Hearts Afire
Hearts Afire, Light on Successful Soul Winning
Hope Thou in God
In Tune With Heaven
It Is Toward Evening
JESUS ONLY Devotional Meditations
Just a Preacher
MOMENTS OF DECISION Guidelines for the Most Important Choices of Your Life
Not Peace But a Sword
On This Rock I Stand
Peace in the Valley
PEACE IN THE VALLEY Fifty Inspirational Readings Extoling the Wonders of God in Nature
Peace Like a River
Pepper 'n Salt (pepper and salt)
Repent or Else!
Repent or Else! The Seven Churches of Revelation
Rest For The Weary
ROAD TO REVIVAL Evangelistic Messages
Seasonings
Song at Twilight
That I May Know Him. A Personal Testimony.
Three Score & Ten. a Collection of Memories, Impressions, Reflections...Gathered Along Life's Trail From Horse and Buggy Days to the Jet Age
Threescore & Ten
Threescore & Ten. ["Three-Score & Ten"]. [a Collection of Memories, Impressions, Reflections. . . Gathered Along Life's Trail
Truth for Each Day
Truth for Each Day: Meditations for Every Day of The Year
Truth for Each Day: Stepping Stones to Maturity
Vance Havner: Just a Preacher; Selected Messages.
When God Breaks Through
Why Not Just Be Christians?

2005/12/23 11:41Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Quote:
ginnyrose wrote:
"If there would be an airplane full of ....(name your denomination) fly and they would have a collision in the air, they would get together and have a committee formed on who should do what before they hit the ground!" I related this to our pastor one day and for some reason he did not think it was funny. But we students sure did!

That is funny yea. :-P

2005/12/23 11:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy