SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Salary

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Salary

We know that different men/women of God, make different amounts of money. But what do you think should be the right amount for a person in the full-time ministry.

What caused me to think this was because a Priest of a Angelian church is getting 18,000$ and a Salvation Army director general is getting 20,000$ (yearly speaking).

For you personally, what amount do [b]you[/b] think would be right for a men/women of God that is a minister.

(Different variables)
Single ???,??? $
Dating ???,??? $
Married ???,??? $
Married with 1 kid ???,???$
Married with 2 kids ???,???$
Married with 3 + ???,???$
Divorced (before entered ministry) with 1 kid ???,???$
Divorced with 2 + ???,???$

This is just something to think about, not something to cause discention. This is a personal question, kinda like a survey, not a doctrinal question. Of course they need to feed themselves and others. But what do YOU think. (

2005/11/14 14:57
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Salary

I think ministry salaries should vary between 30,000-60,000 a year depending on where they live at (much more expensive to live in California/NY). I think it also depends on what type of ministry they are doing, how many people they are over, etc. We should pay ministers so that they can actually have something to live on e.g. Pay a mortage, have a car, phone, and some creature comforts. Financial Poverty is not a fruit of the Spirit!

2005/11/14 15:32Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

It is funny how this can work. Some people would say that you need to live by faith in God's provision whatever that would be and come into form with. And on the other side people demand a fixed salary like an secular job out there. I think it is bibilcal for people to uplift the hands of the workers and not muzzle the ox.

For myself I have gotten by with the Lord's provision doing this ministry for almost 3 years fulltime. The beginning of that time being able to put most of my own finances into the ministry but near to this time having the gifts of Gods people to keep me going.

To give you an idea I lived off $7000 last year as income and running this ministry. Things are growing bigger and needs increase but I believe God will provide more AS HE is. God will not grow a ministry beyond what it can be supported or you know you are in the flesh and not a God called ministry.

2005/11/14 15:55Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I think salaries have ruined many ministers. Some are afraid to preach because they don't want to lose their salary or get it cut back. If their were no such thing as salaries for ministers, how many would minister?

I am not against it. Not at all. How many small church pastors work a job outside of the church and are just as spiritual, know just as much, and are just as close to God?

I think if you didn't have a job outside of the church you should be a spiritual powerhouse from all the prayer, fasting, and studying you would be able to do. How about measuring their salary according to that?

2005/11/14 15:58Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Money

Quote:
I think if you didn't have a job outside of the church you should be a spiritual powerhouse from all the prayer, fasting, and studying you would be able to do. How about measuring their salary according to that?

Oh, preach it Preach! It is very interesting how this particular subject is coming up of late...

Actually, how could you measure that brother? Far as I am concerned they ought to be recompensed handsomely, one of the very reasons being that they could be trusted and the likelyhood they would put it right back into the work anyway... Regardless "Great are their rewards in Heaven". I am of the opinion that much of the 'teaching' out there on stewardship and 'tithing' and so forth is way out of whack, it just seems to be completely out of order in priorities... If the heart was converted more.... can't find a word for it, (sufficiently?) and the emphesis laid there, it just seems this would be more natural, like the saints in the book of Acts.. spontaneous. Joyfully!

2005/11/14 16:16Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

My best friend is a lay A/G minister and he holds two other jobs in addition to his pastor responsibilities. I'm not sure how he has the time to pray over the flock. It must be quite difficult for him.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is my pastor at the church I have attended for about 15 months now. He hasn't had a salary or any visible means of support for the last 15 years.

He and his wife, also a pastor simply pray (and wait which is the most painful part) and God has met their needs for this entire period of time. In fact, another ministry affiliated somewhat with ours paid their rent for 8+ years.

The bottom line is that Jesus pays for what He orders. I don't think any job, including a secular job, should be about the money at all.

2005/11/14 16:18Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Honestly, I think the minister should be blessed tremendously by the lay folk. But so so so many take advantage of this and just go play golf.

2005/11/14 16:29Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

yes. this is something God is showing me again and again. Me and brother Ricki have talked about this of late and we stated what do pastors do all day??? its a JOKE unless they pray and read the bible there is no excuse. But then the finger comes pointing to myself and that is why the Lord has me seeking Him more and more. Regardless of age, experience etc. I am beleiving the Lord to continue to grow me in the grace and knoweldge of Jesus, I am not looking any man for my limits, the high-calling in Christ Jesus must be our goal.

I am privildged to be in the ministry that God has called me to, and every day I pray that I can be accountable to all that I have been called to. May God continue to make me the man of God, He wants me to be.

Quote:
The bottom line is that Jesus pays for what He orders. I don't think any job, including a secular job, should be about the money at all.

Amen brother, I feel a peace in what I am doing, even though ideas cross my mind of how much money I could be making in the secular world, but I repent of that type of thinking and realize that only in the grace of Jesus Christ will we truly have peace, my prayer is to "be in the will of Him that has called me."

2005/11/14 16:33Profile
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re:

As a full time pastor I have asked this very question many times -- I have in the past asked for a raise only becasue of cost of living. Currently I am making $31,200 a year. plus the parsonage and utilities are paid by the church and a health insurance benefit (although it does not pay much unless we get really sick). So I guess I am doing well, but I also see it as an obligation to be a man of the Word and prayer as well as ministry. The church is only aobut 45 people so it does not require a lot of time to administrate. So the extra hours go to prayer and study along with reading books (mostly about revival right now). Plus listening to other sermons from sermonindex ;-) because I need to be preached at too. Considering my last church tried literally to starve me out, I guess God has balanced the scales a little.

I believe a pastor that is full time should have enough to meet needs and live within his means. Good stewardship is about money managment and pastors should be examples of this. If you don't have a lot of worldly pursuits, you don't have a lot of expenses. If your not dominated by the -- 'I have to have that now' bug you won't have a bunch of debt to pay off either -- learned that one a little late but not too late.

I agree that those who are full time should be giants spiritually - -they should be men of God in every sense of the Word. Such men of genuine prayer and uncompromised peaching are worth their weight in gold and as such their salary as well.

Blessings.

2005/11/14 18:45Profile

Re:

Two great comments from greg.

Quote:

To give you an idea I lived off $7000 last year as income and running this ministry. Things are growing bigger and needs increase but I believe God will provide more AS HE is. God will not grow a ministry beyond what it can be supported or you know you are in the flesh and not a God called ministry.

I know a brother in the Lord who has a family (wife and a kid) and works 60-80 hours a week and still preaches with fire. Now, hearing that, has deeply blessed me. Here, I can't fathom living off of 7 grand. NO WAY!! I think fasting would be my best friend! Man! :-o

You have no idea how much that blessed me greg.

Quote:

Me and brother Ricki have talked about this of late and we stated what do pastors do all day??? its a JOKE unless they pray and read the bible there is no excuse. But then the finger comes pointing to myself and that is why the Lord has me seeking Him more and more.

Other than counseling people, i have no idea.

2005/11/15 0:32

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy