Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Gehenna and Hades

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Gehenna and Hades

Gehenna is the lake of fire, the place of eternal punishment after the resurrection. Hades is the intermediate place where souls await the resurrection.
-David Bercot

"And death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." -Revelation 20:14

"And death and Hades were sent into the lake of fire, the second death," Now this is what is called Gehenna, which the Lord called "eternal fire".
-Ireneaeus (180AD)

"An ever-burning Gehenna will burn up the condemned -a punishment that devours with living flames. Nor will there be any means by which at any time they can have either rest of an end to their torments. Souls with their bodies will be reserved in infinite tortures for suffering... This is in accord with the truth of Holy Scripture, which says, "Their worm will not die and their fire will not be quenched.".... The pain of punishment will then be without the fruit of penitence. Weeping will be useless and prayer ineffectual. Too late, they will believe in eternal punishment who would not believe in eternal life."
-Cyprian (250AD)

2005/11/11 12:24Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Gehenna and Hades

I have mentioned this before, but thought I would again. It is interesting how as philologos says, words in the bible have 'histories.' And that being, Genenna has its roots in a place in the Old Testament called Tophet. Tophet I suppose would be the root of the word for [i]hell[/i] in the bible.

Tophet was a place where babies would be placed on the outstretched arms of a metal idol that had a fire lit inside. Paris Reidhead said there was a different way also in which a hot fire was made to burn in a 'throttling' furnace and the first born sons were tossed into the center of that raging and breath taking heat. People sacrificed their first born children (not always a male) to this false god in this way to gain 'ascendancy' among their peers.

We learn from scholars that the horrific deeds of the children of Israel who would place their children on the red hot arms were not enough to fully smother their conscience to the screams of those children as they went into the flames; hence, the screams had to be drowned out.

The Hebrew word "Tophet" signifies the beating of drums. These drums would beat and the screams could not be heard. What a horrific sight! Yet, this is the first real picture we have of hell. A place of fire and screams and drum beating to ground out that reality.

As I recall it was Josiah who cleaned this area up and made it a trash dump. You may know it as the valley of Hinnom- or Gehenna in Greek. A place that burned with trash outside the city continually.

Drums, drums, the sound of beating drums. I have preached this many times and asked, "what are the 'drums' in your life?" What are you using to cancel out the horrors of hell and distance your conscious mind from that reality? The things that distract us from the reality and finality of hell are those drums. What a picture? That God had showed from the beginning what man would do with this place called hell; he would spend his days drowning out the screams.

2005/11/11 13:37Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The Hebrew word "Tophet" signifies the beating of drums. These drums would beat and the screams could not be heard. What a horrific sight! Yet, this is the first real picture we have of hell. A place of fire and screams and drum beating to ground out that reality.

Brother that is very intense. Oh what a sobering reality truth can be to the soul. I am praying it will not only be knoweldge but truly will effect my inmost being and allow me to respond in warning men of the wrath of God.

2005/11/11 14:34Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Did you say Paris Reidhead mentioned that in a sermon? Which sermon?

Do you, Robert, have a sermon on here mentioning it?

2005/11/11 16:13Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

It is in "The Dangers of Third Generation Religion" by Reidhead

2005/11/22 19:40Profile
worzle

David Pawson mentioned this in one of his tape sermons. He was speaking about the other guy on the cross to whom Jesus said; "today you will be with me in paradise". Apparently, paradise means "palace gardens", and if that is where those who trust and obey God go when they die and before judgement day; then is there an alternative 'waiting room' (?) (before the second coming and judgement day) for those who did not trust and obey God (presumably 'Hades')?

2005/11/23 13:40Profile
Truthstands

Hi,

I am new member to this discussion. I browsed around and found very interesting topics to read about.

The below links have more information on this topic. There is also the audio of the message.

[url=http://www.bereanbiblechurch.in/messages/sunday2004/outerdarkness_1.htm]Outer Darkness_1[/url]

[url=http://www.bereanbiblechurch.in/messages/sunday2004/outerdarkness_2.htm]Outer Darkness_2[/url]

[url=http://www.bereanbiblechurch.in/messages/sunday2004/outerdarkness_3.htm]Outer Darkness_3[/url]

2005/12/3 12:37Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Quote:
David Pawson mentioned this in one of his tape sermons. He was speaking about the other guy on the cross to whom Jesus said; "today you will be with me in paradise". Apparently, paradise means "palace gardens", and if that is where those who trust and obey God go when they die and before judgement day; then is there an alternative 'waiting room' (?) (before the second coming and judgement day) for those who did not trust and obey God (presumably 'Hades')?

The OT term [i]Sheol[/i] is the equivalent of the Septuagint/NT term [i]Hades[/i].

In the OT, [i]Sheol[/i] is the intermediate place of the dead for both the people of God and other peoples.

In the intertestamental period, some Jewish writings distinguish two regions within [i]Hades[/i], one is the abode of the dead righteous, the other is the abode of the evil. The lines are not as clear-cut in the OT and NT, although it can discerned in certain passages (e.g. Luke 16).

Nevertheless, in the OT, the righteous in [i]Hades[/i] have the promise of being delivered from the place, subsequently understood as the general resurrection of the righteous.

The NT data is complicated by the reference to "paradise" in Luke 23:43, to the "bosom of Abraham" in Luke 16:23 and other references to the dead believers being with Christ and God immediately after death (e.g 2 Cor 5:6-8; Phil 1:23; Rev 6:9).

On the basis of Acts 2:31 (an allusion to Ps. 16:10) where it says, "David by foreseeing this spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was neither abandoned to [b]Hades[/b], nor did his body experience decay," I think even the Lord had to go through the place of the dead designated [i]Hade[/i] (if indeed the reference to [i]Hades[/i] here is literal, not figurative), but he came out victorious.

If that is so, [b]everyone[/b] goes to [i]Hades[/i] after death, awaiting our resurrection to glory or for the unbelievers, to the lake of fire. But it would appear that the people of God experience the bliss of the presence of the Lord even during the intermediate state.

2005/12/5 11:37Profile
JakeforJesus

Dallas, Texas

Scripture

Quote:
Gehenna is the lake of fire, the place of eternal punishment after the resurrection. Hades is the intermediate place where souls await resurrection.

Indeed, Scripture does distinguish 2 places:

(1) "Hell" (Hebrew "sheol"; Greek "hades"):

a place for confinememt for departed souls, prior to resurrection and judgment (see Luke 16:23).

(2) "Gehenna" or "the lake of fire":

a place of final, unendng punishment for the wicked, after resurrection and judgment (see Revelation 20:12-15).

Now turn in your Bible to Revelation 21:8.

In Revelation 21:8 we are told that eight different kinds of people will go into the lake of fire:

(1) The fearful

(2) The unbelieving

(3) the abominable

(4) murders

(5) whore mongers

(6) sorcerers

(7) Idolaters

(8) All liars

Notice the first 2 classes of the condemned listed in that passage are: the "fearful" and the "unbelieving."

Now ask yourself many "religious" people are included?

2005/12/6 10:10Profile
Manfred

Continental Europe

It should be noted that the word "hell" is totally foreign to the original Scriptures. The word was supplied by the translators of the KJV, and thus the word became accepted by all. This is at best a misrepresentation.

The fact is that the word "hell" is common and accepted in English because of the KJV. But in other languages, for example French, this word is not found in ANY of the various French translations. The translators have kept the originals "sheol", "gehenna" and "hades"; often supplying a explanatory footnote.

Manfred

2005/12/6 11:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy