Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Our Biggest Holiday Stress

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Our Biggest Holiday Stress

[b][color=990000] Our Biggest Holiday Stress [/color][/b]

For most of us, the Christmas holiday season is by far the most sacred time of the year. We prepare a lot, shop a lot, celebrate a lot, and eat a lot. Christmas is an exciting time. However, Christmas is also likely the most stressful time of the year.

I’ve often wondered where all the stress comes from. Christmas is traditionally the time to celebrate the birthday of Christ. However, Christ offered relief from stress. He said,

“Come to me all ye who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

So in a sense, Christmas is a crazy contradiction. Instead of freeing us from stress, it produces stress. It is like pulling in opposite directions. That thought alone makes me feel stressed.

Dare I suggest that a lot of the stress that we experience comes from the values we have accumulated from our culture rather than from the Christ-child? Maybe deep down we fear that if we fail to measure up to those expectations, someone will be disappointed in us; or maybe we will be disappointed in ourselves. So then, perhaps our fear of failed expectations is the real source of our stress. We don’t want to experience guilt for not measuring up. However, the purpose of Christ’s advent was to set us free from guilt. So, again we find ourselves pulled in opposite directions.

No one knows the date of Jesus’ birth. December 25 was chosen about three hundred years later. So Christmas, as we observe it, is not a divine command. That fact should relieve us of some of our stress.

Nevertheless Christmas is here to stay and I’m glad. I would never want to throw it away - there are just too many wonderful aspects to it. I would, however, love to see people liberated from the stress-producing side of it. That would, I realize, imply that they break from some of our cultural patterns. But then, Jesus often broke from cultural patterns, including religious patterns of his day. He refused to get caught up in the tyranny of faulty expectations. By doing so he modeled a better life-style.

When we are free from the stress of tiresome expectations, we can more easily enjoy others. We are free to give of ourselves. We are free to be creative, and free to appreciate the beauty hidden within the hubbub of the holiday season - including the quiet messages of peace and joy.
Diane

2005/11/9 8:42Profile
groh_frog

Re: Our Biggest Holiday Stress

Yeah. I agree. How great it is that we actually have a holiday designed to celebrate the life of our Savior? It's a shame that it's not always implemented as such.

I remember this past year right before Christmas, I was at a men's prayer breakfast. Well, the day before, Wal-mart had done their hugh annual christmas sale that they do.

Well, one of the men had gone to do some christmas shopping, and saw something in it that should be recognized. He said, "if you want to know the essence of sin, just look at what this has become. As soon as the doors open, people are grabbing carts, running, even fighting to get that stereo at the price that they feel they somehow deserve! There is no order, but it's chaos based on ME."

Crazy, eh? Yeah, it's sad to see what's become of what could be such a great thing. The fact that it's now in many ways a marketing tool that seems to bring out nothing more than the greed of many of us. I know i've been guilty.

Grace and Peace...

2005/11/10 2:59Profile
roadsign

Re: Should Christians observe Christmas?

Quote:
Crazy, eh? Yeah, it's sad to see what's become of what could be such a great thing.

I wonder, "Since when could it have become a great thing." Maybe there is a reason why Scripture discourages our allegiance to special days, and seasons. They become idols. They become sacred. And after a while it feels wrong if we don't "properly" observe these traditions of man.
(See Colossians 2:6-23)

Christmas (the observance of Dec. 25) started out as a compromise with paganism. So, I ask, do any of us who celebrate Christmas have any right to condemn the Catholics or other religious groups who also compromise Scripture!?!

What's the difference between singing songs about Santa and songs about Jesus' birthday? Both are NOT TRUE.
ex: "Jesus Christ is born today"
Is there a danger of worshipping an infant Christ rather than an eternal Savior?

What would happen if Christians stopped observing Christmas?..... Should they???
Diane

2005/11/28 10:40Profile

Re:

Quote:
I wonder, "Since when could it have become a great thing." Maybe there is a reason why Scripture discourages our allegiance to special days, and seasons. They become idols. They become sacred. And after a while it feels wrong if we don't "properly" observe these traditions of man.

While I agree with this, I'm not ready to let go of Christmas. I love Christmas, and it is what you make it.

My brother and his family are flying this year from California for a nice cozy North Carolina Christmas... at our house. We talked about our plans for Christmas, especially since it falls on a Sunday. I told him about our house church, but also mentioned that we are not planning on having church on Christmas morning because a) some folks are out of town, b) with our 4 kids and their 2 kids, and other assorted family at our house Chritmas morning, getting ready to have even more people at our house to have church is simply not something we're willing to do (or put my wife through!), and c) our kids will want to explore their presents.

They about had a cow that we wouldnt have a Sunday church gathering! Like it was a sin or something! (Not to mention they disapprove of "house churches"...)

But thats a prime example of sacred cows in the Body of Christ. I personally believe the first century church met everyday, but especially on the first day of the week (Sunday) in honor of Christ's resurrection... yet Paul said in Col 2:16-17 [i]Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.[/i]

Some Christians choose not to celebrate Christmas, and I have heard their reasoning and dont agree with their conclusions. Yet, I count them as brothers. It does not matter. However, some Christians consider it blasphemey if another believer concludes they should not observe Christmas. Nor should THAT believer judge those who DO observe Christmas.

A simple solution for holiday stress is this: dont do things that stress you out. Just dont do 'em. Simple as that. Life is too short.

Krispy

2005/11/28 15:21
roadsign

Re: a sacred cow

Quote:
a prime example of sacred cows in the Body of Christ.

I agree with your points, Krispy, We do have to examine WHY we do things. After all, anything good can become a sacred cow, and we end up worshipping it rather than the Christ. Oh, how prone we are to wander!
I would add one more point to your words,
Quote:
dont do things that stress you out. Just dont do 'em

We must repent, and turn back to Christ who is our all in all. It is not enough to merely stop doing things that God has not called us to do, we have to change our THINKING and values, or else we will just latch on to other "sacred cows".

Who are you to condemn God's servants? They are responsible to the Lord, so let him tell them whether they are right or wrong. The Lord's power will help them do as they should. Romans 14:4

Diane

2005/12/1 7:42Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Hey, Diane. I'm sorry it took me so long to respond to your earlier comments.

As Christians, we're called to be "in the world, but not of the world." It's a system of corruption, and should be dead to us. I look at Christmas in much the same way. While it was just a "converted" pagan holiday, and it has nothing to do with being a Christian, it can be a tool.

There was another column about this very subject a little while ago. Another person made the comment that it can be used to talk about the meaning of Christianity, at a time when many unbelievers seem more open to listen. I completely agree.

You have to be careful it this, also. Just like the calf- it was called "Yahweh". It wasn't a new god to the people, is was a warping of the True God (which they knew and recognizd).

In my house, we don't have a Christmas tree, we don't teach santa stories, and we know that it's not the birthday of Christ. But it is a chance to remember him, just as many churches do on the first Sunday of every month. So, is any day more holy than another? No. And Christmas is the same. It's another day- no better and no worse. But any day can be an abomination, depending on what it is to you.

Look at Paul. He says that if a person offers you food that was sacrificed to Idols, that you should take some so as not to offend them. Just don't cause another to stumble! Christmas is the same- it can be an opportunity, but don't cause another to stumble in the lies that surround it.

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/1 7:59Profile

Re:

Quote:
Who are you to condemn God's servants? They are responsible to the Lord, so let him tell them whether they are right or wrong. The Lord's power will help them do as they should. Romans 14:4

Or... as the KJV puts it:

Roman 14:4 [i]Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.[/i]

I think the KJV cuts to the point better. :-)

Krispy

2005/12/1 8:31
roadsign

Re: the intent

Quote:
While it was just a "converted" pagan holiday, and it has nothing to do with being a Christian, it can be a tool.

Groh-frog, I agree. We need to be shrewd with the things in this world. Yet, that can also become an easy cover-up excuse for justifying any of our desires to walk with the world.
Thank you for sharing your own way of dealing with the season.

Krispy, if the KJV cuts the point better for you, that’s great. I’m afraid I don’t quite see more light.

But then, my real purpose for writing the meditation was for the newspaper: to speak to those outside the church - to heighten conscious awareness, and get people thinking about why they do things.

After all, people can’t even begin to see their need for God until they see that they are in bondage to something OTHER than God.

This article was intended to reach those who tune out the minute they hear “God”. So, as you see “God” is not mentioned in what I wrote. Nevertheless, I believe that the thoughts can be like a ROADSIGN: pointing people in the right direction.

Christians, too, need to be reminded that they may not be as free as they assume. Their conscience may be enslaved to many “commands” that do not come from God.

The concepts here could be applied to anything in life that “drives” us.

Does any of this make sense to you?

Diane

2005/12/2 12:36Profile

Re:

Diane... I wasnt trying to turn this into a KJV debate thread. There are plenty of those on this site, if you're interested in know why some of us have chosen to avoid the more modern versions.

Sorry 'bout that! I posted what I posted as more of a tongue-cheek thing... those who know me probably understood the humor behind it. (notice the smiley face...)

Anyway... back to the topic! :-)

Krispy

2005/12/2 14:53
roadsign

Re: Back to the topic.

Krispy said,

Quote:
those who know me probably understood the humor behind it.:-)

Yes, I am familiar with the Krispy ways. Sometimes there has been a bit of crunch thrown in. :-) ..he he he…. :-)

Quote:
Anyway... back to the topic!

Good idea! I’m curious: do any of my comments resonate with you? Or does it seem to miss the mark?
... well…. after all…. it is not backed by the KJV… Oooooh…. Just a little humor…. :-)
Diane

2005/12/2 15:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy