Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Leaders fiddle as France burns

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Leaders fiddle as France burns

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

France was struggling to overcome one of its gravest post-war crises last night as every major city faced the threat of fierce rioting that began 12 nights ago and now seems to have spun out of control.
Despite an assurance from Philippe Douste Blazy, the foreign minister, that France was "not a dangerous country", the spread of violence prompted the Foreign Office in London to warn travellers that trouble could break out "almost anywhere".

Dominique de Villepin, the beleaguered prime minister, announced that officials in riot-hit areas would be authorised to impose late-night curfews "wherever it is necessary" in a bid to halt the disturbances.

He rejected calls by a police union for troops to be sent in but said that 1,500 reservists were being called up and repeated an appeal to parents to keep adolescent rioters off the streets.

Although the disorder began on the intimidating sink estates of Paris's northern suburbs, trouble had been reported yesterday in the early hours from most regions of the country. Even areas such as Brittany, the Loire and Bordeaux, favoured by British holidaymakers and second- home hunters, have now been drawn into the worst wave of unrest in France since the spring revolt of 1968 set in motion the downfall of Gen Charles de Gaulle.

2005/11/8 14:49Profile
groh_frog

Re: Leaders fiddle as France burns

Now, from my understanding, of the rioters involved, the majority are immigrant muslims?

I haven't been following this whole issue very closely, but what's the core issue that they're using to justify the riots? I know it started with a couple of youth getting eloctrocuted while running from the police, but what's really sparking this whole thing?

Grace and Peace...

2005/11/9 1:02Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
haven't been following this whole issue very closely, but what's the core issue that they're using to justify the riots?

I would like to hear more about this myself. An article I found helpful was this 2002 British essay.

[url=http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1515278/posts]Barbarians at the Gates of Paris[/url]

From what I can see, there are two interpretations of these riots...one is that the immigrant communities are claiming economic and racist disenfranchisement from France, while the other interpretation is that the immigrants refuse to integrate culturally with France’s strict secularism.

I think it's interesting that some American NPR Liberal types are surprised that France would even have racism, segregation and ghettos. Our elitists over here seem to think that continental avant-guard morality is above such bourgeoisie class "oppression".

On the other hand I also hear some American conservatives suggest these things are fearful evidence of a rising Islamic crusade for hegemony in Europe. I am hesitant to assume the situation is so religously or even ideologically based...Muslim clerics in Paris have issued "fatwas" against the violence. (Of course we might be tempted to treat such public denouncements with cynicism.) Other then the recent headscarf hullabaloo, is there any real evidence of French Islamic insurgency?

My own conclusion is that the high unemployment in France is being experienced severely in these inner city communities. Sadly, these communities have resorted to violence, and sadder still is that their car burning tantrums seems to work on the French government who is now willing to engage in talks of some kind.

Out of curiosity...what is the cost of car insurance in France?

MC

2005/11/9 2:54Profile
groh_frog

Re:

That's a great article showing the conservative viewpoint on some of the problems that we're seeing today. Actually, some of the stories are crazy.

I agree with you also, that even though there are some "fatwas" being issued agains the rioting, it could be similar to some churches out there who are condmning the churches who call homosexuality a sin.

But still, is it meerly a standard-of-living problem? It seems that France is fairly liberal in its thinking, and yet has poorly integrated immigrant society. But does Islam come into play at all with this whole thing?

Still curious. Definitely crazy, though.

Grace and Peace...

2005/11/9 5:51Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
But still, is it merely a standard-of-living problem?

Well, spiritual issues aside, I don't think we can call the poverty and segregation in France a mere "standard of living" problem. Keep in mind that France has almost 12% unemployment!(40% in some of these territories.) The US has a little over 5% out of work and many Americans are convinced our economy is collapsing! If we were experiencing 12% unemployement you can be sure that there would be rioting in the streets...I have no doubt.
Quote:
But does Islam come into play at all with this whole thing?

I don't see how...true the rioting population is comprised of Algerian, North African, and Arab peoples, but I think this is a reflection ghettozation rather then Islamic ambitions. If anything, the ghettos and segregation increase the spread of Islam as a form of identity among disenfranchised youth. (edit: It must me noted that apparently these territories are ruled by organized gangs and are considerdd "no-go" zones for the police.) I admit, as an American still resentful of Al Quaida and the Mid-East governments that supported them it is somewhat tempting to see this as an example of radical Islam in action, but I think that would be an emotionally charged biased conclusion. (France, has had it's share of dealing with true Islamic terrorism...most notable in recent history was when French commandos stormed a refueling hijacked plane, preventing terrorists from crashing into the Eiffel Tower.)

In the end, I do not believe these riots are inspired by Islam at all. I think it's an immigration and gang crisis coming to a head in a country with high joblessness. I'm open to being proven wrong.

There are some reports of rioting spreading into Belgium, Berlin, Rotterdam, Stockholm...I would be curious if someone closer to the situation could share a more accurate perspective with us.

2005/11/9 6:44Profile
roadsign

Re:

I read this article: [url=http://www.city-journal.org/html/12_4_the_barbarians.html]Barbarians at the Gates of Paris[/url] and highly recommend it. As I was reading, I thought of the Old Covenant societal laws - the Sabbatical Year, the Year of Jubilee, and other laws - all laws to protect Israel from the very things that we are seeing in France.

Clearly God is not mocked. When a segment of society exploits people in order for its own gain, they pay for it down the road. You reap what you sow. Isn't that what we are seeing now?

Most of the world would prefer to remain blind to that truth, and just continue to scapegoat the "real culprits". So we never learn from history, and just keep on repeating it.
Diane

2005/11/9 10:35Profile

Re:

Islam thrives on oppression and promotes violence as an answer to all opponents..
the Koran is a handbook of hate
they need to see Jesus

2005/11/13 11:17

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy