SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Praying all day?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Praying all day?

I was walking to get something from a store today and on the way back I decided to walk a longer way. I went to a hotdog stand to get a italian sasuage! and there was a muslim women there. I asked her what she was reading and started to small talk.

We talked about islam for abit and then I gave her a gospel tract and started to talk about Jesus (Isa - in the muslim religion). I was very much showing the love of Jesus to hear through my words and actions but then there was that statement that slew me inside:

"Oh, so you pray all day?" - basically she was meaning in her broken english that I was like one of her priests from her religion that is mostly devoted to prayer to God. It stuck with me for awhile and I really began to think of how Christians (who hold the very truth about God in its purest form) yet so many of us are lazy and undisplined in our prayer lifes, reading of the word of God and being a spirit filled active Christian. I had the opportunity to talk to 2 muslims today and both of them had a quieter spirit and much grace in their talk and face.

Oh we need to get out of this modern day christianity and get back to God. We need to be disciplined again, and catering that relationship with God in Christ. We are going to be guilty of this generation unless we begin to cater and have something to show them of the reality of God in our lifes.

2005/11/7 1:18Profile
groh_frog

Re: Praying all day?

How is it that so often this seems to be the case?

In many towns, the example of what Christians should be are the Mormons. The most active churches can often be the Jehova's Witnesses. The most services are held by the Catholics. For me, the most devout church that I've ever seen was one that went so far as to reject everthing that wasn't singing hymns alone, wasn't called a "fundamental independent Baptist", and didn't carry the KJV bible.

You're right, that it's such a lost spot we seem to be in. That we have let the message of Grace replace our need to follow God in our lives. How can we be more, and inspire more in the lives of those around us?

Grace and Peace...

2005/11/7 7:18Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I'm always amazed to compare Christians (myself!) to members in cults and false religions. So many members in cults are devoted. We are far from as disiplined as they. I was reading about the Freemasonaries(which is a cult if anyone doesn't know) and they have many many oaths that would cost their life if they break them. We should not make oaths but if we were to live the Bible like our life is on stake, no not only our lives but others, we would be much differnt.

I think that people are so afraid to say that "works" has anything to do with a Christian life that no one does anything anymore. They just lay down and relax and call it grace. No we are not saved by works but we are saved [u] unto[/u] good works! (see Eph 2:10)

2005/11/7 9:05Profile
Ropafadzo

Harare, Zimbabwe

Re:

I am an African and having gone through brother Paris Reidhead's Ten Shekels and A Shirt, I am speaking I think from a point of revelation. I have also listened to Christian colleages at work discussing. We are at loggerheads hear in Africa as Christians with such strongholds as witchcraft, false god worship and moral decay if I were to call it with that lukewarm word. And the reason why Christianity has failed in every way to break these strongholds is that we are not as devout to true religion as we ought, we are not as given to worshiping our God as the prophets of Baal are to their God.

Sacrifice is common practice and as it is, it is one of the biggest virtues Jesus ever did for us to call ourselves by His name. But we shy away from sacrifice. And do you know that the prophets of Baal sacrifice every year? They slaughter beasts and they even sacrifice human beings to theirs gods. And the works that they commit in our eyes are beyond this world. And we ask why our prayers against witchcraft and other soucererships are not answered. I have noticed lately also that praying to God is not something we do as often even as the Moslems do. And we wonder why our God does not know us. We are a shame. I am sorry to say that but we contemporary Christians are a shame in the face of God. We cannot even cast out a simple sickness. We cannot even follow up on our promises to prayer requests, by which we lie in the face of God. And we ask why our God does not hear our praise to Him. I think we all can do better than Baal's priests honestly, and Jehovah God is the creator of Heaven and earth. Glory be to God

2005/11/7 10:43Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

2005/11/7 10:48Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

It's interesting that this weekend I had also chance to talk a little with a few muslims. I was in a van taxi and there were 4-5 muslims. They were talking in turkish (which I don't understand) but I understood some words from the conversation - Isaac, Ismail. I asked them 'What are you talking about' and they started to talk on my language and the younger one said that he is asking the older man about the origins of the muslims and christians. I had chance to share few thoughts (the drive with them was just 5-6 min. ) , but I believe this was the Lord hand that inspired me to take with me few gospel tracts, so I said to them "Do you want to read parts of the bible " and they "Yes, yes, give us, give us" I gave them all tracts that I had, most of them were the gospel of John.
From my experience with muslims I have noticed that they want to read the bible, they want to know about Christ and what christianity says. Maybe from curiosity, I don't know , but many have come to Christ from curiosity.
May the Lord bless them.

If I offered the tracts or bibles to some 'nominal' christian here, the most often reply is "You are from some new believe, or are you JW's?'
Next to me was sitting such 'nominal' christian and his respond to my suggestion to give to the muslims gospel tracts was 'Are you Jehovah Witness?' :-(

2005/11/7 10:58Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

I too have a Muslim friend and he is one of the kindest persons you could ever hope to meet. He asks questions such as "How often do you fast?" and "How often do you pray?".

I pray that we would be convicted enough to surrender all to Jesus, not just to feel bad. My pastor refers to this feeling bad as "cheap guilt."

It's only through Jesus that the power of sin in one's life can be broken and that's not available anywhere else but only through the blood of Jesus.

2005/11/7 11:54Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

It is challenging to think about but... They also are more works based, correct? They do not believe in salvation by grace through Jesus Christ.

2005/11/7 12:03Profile

Re:

Quote:

groh_frog wrote:
How is it that so often this seems to be the case?

In many towns, the example of what Christians should be are the Mormons. The most active churches can often be the Jehova's Witnesses. The most services are held by the Catholics.

That's why I'm very outspoken about the church's statis. When I first started living out my walk with God. I saw this and was like 'ugh..i can't believe the cults are more persistant'

May God convict us on this thing.

2005/11/7 13:59
groh_frog

Re:

Yeah, I totally agree, YeshuaIsMyGod.

It starts with us- our conviction, and our repentance. Like it was written earlier, that we are not justified by works alone, not because works can save us, but because works come because of our faith!

Do we need to have services every day? I don't think so. But what about a prayer meeting daily? I would love that!

Do we get points for how many tracts we hand out? Again, no. I do believe we are rewarded for our works, but it starts in your heart!

Looking at some groups, like the Mormons, how focused on doing the work of their 'god' are they? It's incredible. The family values are amazing! But their fruits are useless and in vain.

We have the opportunity to serve the one True God. To be involved in the leadership of our churches, to inspire the Brothers and Sisters in Christ around us!

Have y'all heard the "Revival Hymn"? This, especially when talking to the "make-believers", is a great conversation starter- it's amazing. Look it up sometime here on SI. It'll challenge you about what we really are.

Grace and Peace...

2005/11/8 0:21Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy