SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Fundie?" "Oversensative?"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mshelby

"Fundie?" "Oversensative?"

My wife and I were talking the other day about some 'religion' stuff. She is theologically to the left of center. She comes from a large church family - meaning that her family liked to attend larger churches.

While we were talking she made some comment about "Fundies." I was offended at that term. and she said she didn't mean it in a 'bad' way.

My question is: Is there any "good" way to use this term? Seems pretty derogatory to me.

2005/11/5 3:16Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re: "Fundie?" "Oversensative?"

It is mainly a derogatory term today... but why should it be?

"Fundie" comes from "Fundamentalist" which just means "basics". It means we believe the basics of the bible, come to the scriptures as children (like Jesus said to) and we are not 'too smart' for the scriptures. Because we come to the scriptures as children, we do not have to explain away verses and get caught up on the peripherals and things that dont matter... instead we can just believe God and believe Jesus and keep our eyes and hearts focused on Him, the only thing that truly matters. Do I care about evolution/creation? No, I have Jesus.

2005/11/5 9:57Profile
groh_frog

Re: "Fundie?" "Oversensative?"

Well, I kinda like it. It reminds me of the term "zealot". Even though zealot is usually used in a derogatory way, to be called a zealot, or a "fundie" shows that you're known for what you are.

We're told that "The way of God is foolishness to man", so the fact that some might think us fundamental christians are crazy, is a mark that we're definitely on a different track.

I was just talking to another christian who feels that it's not our place to tell some other person that they're wrong. Nice idea, but it's a very worldly way of thinking. If you really believe that "if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins" (jn 8:24), and in that context that "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no man comes to the Father but by me", (Jn 14:6) I would think you would be a fundamental christian is this area also: There is no other way!

Anyway, Grace and Peace...

2005/11/5 9:58Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

Quote:
was just talking to another christian who feels that it's not our place to tell some other person that they're wrong. Nice idea, but it's a very worldly way of thinking.

Amen!

Leviticus 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.

What is hating your brother? Not rebuking them when they are wrong. It must, ofcourse, be done in love.
However, not only does the bible say you dont love someone when you are not willing to warn them, but, in fact, you hate them.

2005/11/5 11:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy