SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Faith or Works?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Paula-NZ

Auckland-New Zeland

Faith or Works?

How do I know the difference between faith and works?? (it sounds dumb but i'm confused!)

Does faith, in this reference, just refer to believing, accepting (and all that goes with it) Jesus Christ, or is it more than that.

The bible clearly states that we will be judged by our works/deeds, and that it's not enough just to have 'good intentions' in our hearts ("each tree is recognised by its own fruit")

I want so badly to be obedient to the Lord right now, but I just don't really have the 'Passion' (if you know what I mean)... The drive, the love, the longing that comes from deep within... I do everything I'm doing right now out of obedience, out of wanting in my head (cos I know I SHOULD) but not my heart (because I really WANT to, or because I delight in it)...

And recently I have raised a question within myself...

Am I just living by works??!!

Trying to achieve something from God or gain his favour by how well I can keep going, hoping(praying) he will give me a love for Him and everything I do for Him.

I feel guilty if I watch TV instead of praying when I first get home, (I'll just give you one examply cos I don't want to drag this on)

What does if mean to live by faith...?

Am I going about it all the wrong way??

2005/10/31 3:04Profile
Nightwatch

Kansas City

Re: Faith or Works?

In the old Jewish culture, to have faith in Jesus meant a lot more than a mental exceptance of Him. It was first turned into a theological accent in Greek culture. I wish I remeber who gave that sermon.

For some people to live by faith means that they have to trust God for food tomorrow.

Definately good to fall in love with Jesus. You ravished His heart with but a glance of your eye. (Song of Solomon, 4:9)

Faith... eh, how bout love? Whenever you do something 'for God' ask yourself if your doing it for love. That helps me a lot. I like to pray... I want to do this because I love you God. He is worthy.

Amen, lets stand.

Oh I also don't know what reference your refering too.
Faith without works is dead.

I want to move to New Zeland!

2005/10/31 3:22Profile
Paula-NZ

Auckland-New Zeland

Re:

Sorry, what do you mean what reference...? (do you mean, why I say the bible cleary states we are rewarded for our works?)

For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. Matt 16:27

But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him. Acts 10:35

Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm. May the Lord repay him according to his works. 2Tim 4:14

This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm constantly, that those who have believed in God should be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men. Tit 3:8

2005/10/31 3:37Profile
Nightwatch

Kansas City

Re:

Oh I get it now. I was thinking when you said " in this reference" you had a specific one that I missed somehow... Well I guess I did miss it, but still.. I get it, refering to biblical reference.

2005/10/31 3:49Profile
Paula-NZ

Auckland-New Zeland

Re:

PS... Yes NZ is really cool! (we are the ends of the earth ) ;-)

2005/10/31 3:52Profile
npautsky

Texas

Re: Faith or Works?

Quote:
I do everything I'm doing right now out of obedience, out of wanting in my head (cos I know I SHOULD) but not my heart (because I really WANT to, or because I delight in it)...

Hello,

I have a question for you. If everything that God wanted you to do was already in your heart then why did Jesus teach that it is a necessity to take up your cross daily if you want to be his disciple?

Luk 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
Luk 9:24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

Even Jesus had to choose between his own will and the Father's.

Mat 26:39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

It looks to me like Jesus laid down is own will here and in obedience took up the father's will. One of my favorite promises in the bible is: he that loses his life shall find it. If your heart was already one with Gods in the sense that all of his will was already all of your will then there would be no need to be transformed from glory to glory or to take up your cross daily or to die daily as Paul puts it. I encourage you to follow your conscience, follow the word of God. I can honestly say that never once have I ever followed my conscience and then ended up saying O what a dummy I am, I followed my conscience and now look at what a mess I am in. Seek to obey God with all of your heart regardless of how you feel about it, do the right thing because that is what Jesus would do and he is your master.

2005/10/31 4:07Profile
Paula-NZ

Auckland-New Zeland

Re:

At least something would have to come from a heart felt desire though. Because if not... Then I don't think I could make it my whole life as a Christian!

And that is the point.
With Jesus... Everything he did was out of love, it was obedience out of love, not necessity or guilt or because it was just the right thing to do...love for the father

I don't have that... but I want it

2005/10/31 4:36Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Have you heard "Hell's Best Kept Secret" by Ray Comfort? It's talking about our work as christians, and is an awesome one to be challenged by. It helped me put some things in perspective. Also, look up "The Revival Hymn". It's another great compilation, that will challenge you.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/31 4:48Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Those two are two are both awesome sermons, but also try "Ten Shekels and a Shirt" by Paris Reidhead, or just about anything by Leonard Ravenhill is you want to hear a man with a passion for God.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/31 4:50Profile
npautsky

Texas

Re:

Paula-NZ

I think the simplest way to say this is like this. If a person is going to be a Christian then there are going to be things that they have to do that they don't want to do. That's where the doctrine of denying oneself comes in. But, for the most part I believe a Christian will have a heartfelt desire say, to help some troubled person. I can't imagine a person being much of a Christian if their heart isn't in helping people. Its just the things that cut into our flesh that are usually hard to come up with a heartfelt desire for. Those are the things we must die to.

2005/10/31 5:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy