SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : RICK WARREN'S YOUTH PASTOR ASSOCIATED WITH EASTERN MEDITATIVE PRACTICES

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

RICK WARREN'S YOUTH PASTOR ASSOCIATED WITH EASTERN MEDITATIVE PRACTICES

RICK WARREN'S YOUTH PASTOR ASSOCIATED WITH EASTERN MEDITATIVE PRACTICES.

The following is from Agape Press, Sept. 29: "A leading Christian publisher of youth ministry material is being accused of introducing young people to practices rooted in New Age Eastern spirituality. The 2005 National Youth Workers Conference in Sacramento, California, was sponsored by Youth Specialties, a group that one Christian author says introduces students to labyrinth walks, yoga, and contemplative prayer practices. For that reason, Cathy Mickels, co-author of the book Spiritual Junkfood: The Dumbing Down of Christian Youth, is advising youth workers and parents to distance themselves from the conference and Youth Specialties. Mickels claims Youth Specialties teaches youth pastors to introduce students to ancient eastern spiritual practices. 'Nowhere in God's Word does it say that you take kids on labyrinth walks, that you introduce students to yoga or to contemplative prayer practices where you say a word over and over again to put yourself into what Youth Specialties says is a "semi-conscious state,"' she states. 'None of these practices are in God's Word.' ... Among the featured speakers at the Sacramento conference are Mark Yaconelli, who is the director of the Youth Ministry and Spirituality Project, and Doug Fields, the youth pastor at Rick Warren's Saddleback Church in California. Musicians featured include the Chris Tomlin Band, the David Crowder Band, and Jars of Clay."

2005/10/28 8:18
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re: RICK WARREN'S YOUTH PASTOR ASSOCIATED WITH EASTERN MEDITATIVE PRACTICES

Now we know this, what do we do?

2005/10/28 8:48Profile

Re:

We do just what we're doing here...we expose it and warn others about it. Thats the scriptural response.

Krispy

2005/10/28 12:54
groh_frog

Re:

Have the youth pastor or Rick Warren made any comments about the accuzations yet? I don't exactly look at Warren to be a spiritual leader to depend on, anyway, which would bring his organization into question. Just curious about how they're playing this.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/28 13:29Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

While this is certainly a horrific revelation, and I have never been a fan or a proponent of Warren, Fields, or their Purpose Driven Empire - I did find the fact that they label contemplative prayer as being an eastern new age practice. I certainly do not condone the other things being taught i.e. labyrnth walks, mantras, etc... Contemplative prayer, when done correctly and biblically, is a wonderful thing used by the likes of Wesley, Guyon, Fenelon, Sundar Singh, and many of the great giants of history.
This aside, however, how tragic!!!
Burning,
jeff

2005/10/28 13:36Profile
Bomar

Re:

From an older post, regarding the same....

http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/PressReleasekenblanchard.htm

2005/10/28 14:05Profile
Nellie

Thank-you for posting this, Krispy.
You are right, we are supposed to expose the false
doctrines and everything that does not line up with the Word of God.
God Bless you.
Nellie :-)

2005/10/28 14:21Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Just for a bit of relaxtion, and also for another look at this.

Quote:
...contemplative prayer practices where you say a word over and over again to put yourself into what Youth Specialties says is a "semi-conscious state,"' she states. 'None of these practices are in God's Word.'

To maybe broaden things a little, there is this scripture in Joshua 1:8 from the KJVThis book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt [b]meditate[/b] therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
The word 'meditate' in the Hebrew means
[i] to murmur (in pleasure or anger); by implication to ponder: - imagine, meditate, mourn, mutter, roar, X sore, speak, study, talk, utter.[/i]
I think that if you would had to do that day and night you would more than likely enter into the above mentioned state. 8-)

2005/10/28 15:05Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Thanks Krispy

Something to be wary of in my view.

The false gospel has to be exposed for what it is and what it's not... Thanks brother.

2005/10/28 16:15Profile
groh_frog

Re:

I'm not sure how to say it, but just because a word in the Bible has different definitions, does it mean that all are acceptable. Now, there's a big difference between meditating: contemplating god's Law day and night, and meditating: the eastern philosophy of it. I don't believe meditation to be something that we should go near, simply if for no other reason than the fact that it doesn't come from God. It's much the same that I don't participate in a seance to ask what hell is like. Some things, as harmless as they might seem or sound, can be a gateway or an invitation for things we shouldn't mess with.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/29 2:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy